Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I think there is a actually a second issue that people may be referring to, which is how lower tier mining tools yield more resource from each boulder than higher tiers. Increasing skills seems to worsen the effect.

Now these are by no means accurate numbers and purely for example but with a stone axe and low skills you'll get around 68 raw iron from a boulder but fully perked and using a steel axe you'll only get around 50. Not sure if this is intentional or not but I think some of the questions are related to this issue.

I'm pretty sure that is fixed.

@Guacamadmole

My friend is planning on making a video in Japanese of things to look forward to in A18 by talking about the information on the first post.

He was wondering if it's possible to show some of the screenshots that you took and posted there.

Will it be ok?

Sure.

Didn't MadMole leak something about the theology system a month or so back? :-)

Already in, religious types take "Shotgun Messiah".

I thought you were talking about a bug where if you did too much damage you missed part of the harvest. The old harvest more resources at the end feature I liked but Gazz said it made balancing harder so I let him remove it. When things are done moving around we could possibly add it back.

A positive feedback loop for OCD impaired people? I think people will be fine without it :cocksure:

You could remove Mother Lode from the perk tree and make it a book thingy. (While keeping 69er under the strength attribute.)

That isn't how books work, they are a complete set of different augmenting abilites, not a basic scaling ability with tiers. I'm not sure why some people don't like this design, the rank costs are super cheap to get the miner perks, 3 strength to get 3 ranks. Its so trivial it nearly is ala carte. You don't need 7 strength to get rank 3.

A positive feedback loop for OCD impaired people? I think people will be fine without it :cocksure:

It really didn't help. :-)

Even without the bonus I'm apparently willing to try and dodge up to three zombies so I can finish cutting down a tree before dealing with them.

I did like the system though, something about that big deposit at the end made it feel right.

It really didn't help. :-)

Even without the bonus I'm apparently willing to try and dodge up to three zombies so I can finish cutting down a tree before dealing with them.

I did like the system though, something about that big deposit at the end made it feel right.

Yes it teaches that finishing a job rewards you, something people these days need to learn.

That isn't how books work, they are a complete set of different augmenting abilites, not a basic scaling ability with tiers. I'm not sure why some people don't like this design, the rank costs are super cheap to get the miner perks, 3 strength to get 3 ranks. Its so trivial it nearly is ala carte. You don't need 7 strength to get rank 3.

Sure, then it could be something like :

- Mother Lode : In the dark - 5% more stone when mining underground

- Mother Lode : Timber - 5% chance to one shot trees when using a steel axe

- Mother Lode : Iron man - 5% more iron when mining boulders with a pickaxe

- Mother Lode : Cotton candy - Twice more cotton from curtains

And what not. Possibilities are endless.

However, personally, I'll wait till A18 drops before assuming anything.

is there going to be more paint options? seems to be what i hear most from the "girl gamers", especially late game when bases and outposts are in their polishing/aesthetics mode.

i can remember but were there more paint options before? i didnt do much of that even since steam release up until a16 when i stopped scrapping paintbrushes but i felt there were even more choices after unlocking them through those magazines.

Is the max attribute level still 10? If so, does this system not promote being a jack of all trades given how many points are needed to go past level 3 in any perk?

Might not work well with the A18 perks though...

Buy perks to unlock stuff, and then when you find the recipes re-spec and spend the points on different perks.

Like I said - reset to level 1 with all perks/unlock wiped. The only real respec.

Keeping all your skill points would just be for cheesing the system.

If you want that, use giveselfxp.

Capabilities of a traditional bow in the right hands..

Lars Anderson

if you pull a 10 lb bow to only half draw. thats not archery its trick shooting. rapid shooting on low draw weight and only drawing 10 to 12 inches.

if you pull a 10 lb bow to only half draw. thats not archery its trick shooting. rapid shooting on low draw weight and only drawing 10 to 12 inches.

It’s far from trick shooting. He works with a 30 lb bow, enough to penetrate chain mail armor as demonstrated. Stronger you are the more pound pull you can handle.

So instead of investing in STR, you want a new, seperate stat to invest in for building? why would you just not use STR then? Do you hate the letters STR or something? lol =)

Partly, I think that most of the non-combat perks should be in a separate category and the game balanced so that builders are not artificially moved to strength combat skills - not to mention that most of those skills have a different progression path already (as MM already pointed out you don't need the base skill as high for the first 3 ranks). That just highlights that they are ill-fitting with the other perks.

It is not an overly complected idea. As it stands, the game itself guides builders into specking strength based combat skills - the points are already there. That is highly counter-productive if we are going for a system with more freedom over what path you take.

- - - Updated - - -

Nerfed feather count for one, hopefully nerfs to endless gun ammo to

Meh.

I have gotten really good at shooting the vultures circling overhead with my compound. Usually takes around 5 shots or so and currently i can harvest 50 feathers without a single point in huntsman. Not sure if they altered the harvest from the vultures yet but if not feathers are going to be just as prolific even if they are a bit harder to farm.

If those shots are hard then a pistol takes them out really easily. You know how many feather a single vulture horde brings you!

It has to go somewhere, and strength makes the most sense because pickaxes and augers take a lot of strength to wield IRL. Most of the perks have nothing to do with combat so what makes mining a special snowflake that doesn't fit? 999% of players will just buy strength and accept it and not think another thing about it. You can't be weak and mine IRL.

What do we have to gain? A system that is unified and easy to understand. Not random setups on mining.

You lose the freedom that you specifically cited as one of the reasons for the rework of the perk system though. And you are not gaining 'easy to understand.' The system is easy to understand wherever you put the perk. Absolutely no one would be confused if the perk categories were different unless they are made in a nonsensical manner. A perk category that covered most non-combat perks is not nonsensical at all.

Those 999% (10 times the players apparently ;D ) will also not think about a million other small details that make the gaming experience truly great.

- - - Updated - - -

OMG...teach me!

lol.

Just lead 'em a bit and wait till they are swooping in - the swoop in even when they are not going to attack you (as in you are at full health) as they start the attack but abort it about halfway through.

And with the new arrow rest... holy crap that thing turns your compound into a sniper.

Archived