Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

That describes it pretty well IMO.

My only concern is that it sounds like melee has gotten a lot more dangerous, which might encourage most players to gravitate towards ranged builds.

Unless of course there is another change that makes ranged combat harder or something, to balance it out. For instance, you have ranged weapons in Dying Light, but most of them generate a ♥♥♥♥load of noise, which attracts special zombies that are super dangerous. So ranged weapons in that game are more of a "desperation" thing.

My only concern is that it sounds like melee has gotten a lot more dangerous, which might encourage most players to gravitate towards ranged builds.

Unless of course there is another change that makes ranged combat harder or something, to balance it out. For instance, you have ranged weapons in Dying Light, but most of them generate a ♥♥♥♥load of noise, which attracts special zombies that are super dangerous. So ranged weapons in that game are more of a "desperation" thing.

Nerfed feather count for one, hopefully nerfs to endless gun ammo to

No. Guys can mod it out if they dislike it IMO. The average guy will want to know the spread. I'd rather see a variety of crosshairs so its a grouping size instead of a crosshair so it doesn't interfere with iron sights.

Yeah keep it in, even with iron sights, it's very useful for me.

This already happens. Zombies from outside sandwich me in POIs all the time. If you make enough heat a screamer will come.

Nerfed feather count for one, hopefully nerfs to endless gun ammo to

I'm not on board with this. Its no longer 5000 feathers in your chests and 1000 arrows in your backpack. You can get by with what is found, and need to hunt vultures to get a surplus.

For guns if your willing to mine you can have loads of ammo. If you are scrounging then no. I feel this is right. I spend a whole night mining and got enough mats to craft 1000 9mm out of it, after spending a day scouting for lead, nitrate and coal mines. In my opinion, I earned it.

With ferals and radiated I think the ammo is a must have. I still conserve ammo and melee a bit, because it doesn't take that long to chew up 1000 ammo if you shoot everything that moves. It took about 150 9mm to clear one tier 3 poi and that was sneak headshotting most. (The bear den)

There may be alternative pathways, but it's that sense of losing something that will feel regressive - in this case, the ability to craft something from x parts. In fact, one can argue that if anything a master crafter should be able to make a weapon or armor using fewer parts, not more.

Alternatively, all players could craft at all quality levels, but for a player with no skills a high quality item costs so much in materials it's prohibitively expensive. The downside with that approach is you'd either need a zillion duplicate recipes, or a significant interface change to choose a quality before you hit the craft button.

But the master crafter is making a higher quality item, that means he has to be more picky about the materials, so it takes more materials to be sure you have enough of the higher quality materials.

I'm not on board with this. Its no longer 5000 feathers in your chests and 1000 arrows in your backpack. You can get by with what is found, and need to hunt vultures to get a surplus.

For guns if your willing to mine you can have loads of ammo. If you are scrounging then no. I feel this is right. I spend a whole night mining and got enough mats to craft 1000 9mm out of it, after spending a day scouting for lead, nitrate and coal mines. In my opinion, I earned it.

With ferals and radiated I think the ammo is a must have. I still conserve ammo and melee a bit, because it doesn't take that long to chew up 1000 ammo if you shoot everything that moves. It took about 150 9mm to clear one tier 3 poi and that was sneak headshotting most. (The bear den)

Fair points. My ideal is having to save ammo for blood moons, maybe higher tier quests, and oh ♥♥♥♥ moments.

Dear FunPimps,

thank you for developing this great game, imo one of the best games all time. (top 5 no problem, with only one competitor in it's category, which you can't really compare, cause it's 2D and has a totally different playstyle)

It's the game I played the most and had the most fun with, which also totally got me hooked on the survival sandbox games.

All the times I saw a Zombie Movie, I thought about how I would defend against hordes of zombies.

7 Days to Die made my dream come true.

It's a game you can play very often, writing your own story and using your own playstyle to accomplish the things you want.

I'm super hyped for Alpha18, nearly every evening I find myself looking for updates, pictures or videos about the game...

Just wanted to say thank you very much!!! :strawberry::smile-new:

Kind of, but since we have weapon spread how do you indicate that without the crosshair?

It's always at the tightest spread possible when aiming in ironsights so it doesn't really matter. Shooting from the hip definitely needs the spread to be shown but going into ironsights assumes that you are going to get the best shot you possibly can and it is so much more satisfying hitting your target using the natural sighting of the weapon instead of having the crosshairs.

---------------

EDIT:

No.

Poop on a Spatula!

What about the rocks on the surface ? Has there been any change in their yield or does it remain the same as it is in A17 ?

What about the rocks on the surface ? Has there been any change in their yield or does it remain the same as it is in A17 ?

I'd say it is about the same (but minus the overkill bonus bug).

What is back in a slightly different form are the old surface deposits of a particular ore and I believe those are meant to flag what type of ore is somewhere below the surface where they exist. They are slightly different this time because they are flush with the terrain (Like the gravel spots used to be) instead of being a mound that protrudes from the ground.

Dear FunPimps,

thank you for developing this great game, imo one of the best games all time. (top 5 no problem, with only one competitor in it's category, which you can't really compare, cause it's 2D and has a totally different playstyle)

It's the game I played the most and had the most fun with, which also totally got me hooked on the survival sandbox games.

All the times I saw a Zombie Movie, I thought about how I would defend against hordes of zombies.

7 Days to Die made my dream come true.

It's a game you can play very often, writing your own story and using your own playstyle to accomplish the things you want.

I'm super hyped for Alpha18, nearly every evening I find myself looking for updates, pictures or videos about the game...

Just wanted to say thank you very much!!! :strawberry::smile-new:

Thank you, and welcome to the forum.

It's always at the tightest spread possible when aiming in ironsights so it doesn't really matter. Shooting from the hip definitely needs the spread to be shown but going into ironsights assumes that you are going to get the best shot you possibly can and it is so much more satisfying hitting your target using the natural sighting of the weapon instead of having the crosshairs.

---------------

EDIT:

Poop on a Spatula!

It does matter because it doesn't tighten up instantly.

---------------

EDIT:

Poop on a Spatula!

:( Bad Madmole, Bad!

+1 Your explanation is on point.

Since we are on the subject, any chance of putting Hitmarkers in?

It does matter because it doesn't tighten up instantly.

I'm sure you can come up with something much better than having your crosshair disturbing your ironsight aiming. (it's very hard to aim through the little Hunting Rifle ironsight btw)

No, the stupid guy should not. HOWEVER, mining should not be connected with strength either but be in another category. For those of us that are builders, it is asininely annoying to feel like building requires strength which then means my character is going to be stuck with strength combat styles.

IMHO, that was the single worst problem with the a17 tree - right ahead of intellect craft everything. Sad to see that you are still keeping building tied to other perks.

So instead of investing in STR, you want a new, seperate stat to invest in for building? why would you just not use STR then? Do you hate the letters STR or something? lol =)

People should WUP (wait until played) before trying to tear down a system lol. It's like those people who say they hate certain foods or places, then you asked them if they ever tried it or been there and they always say, "no". (eye-roll)

I'm sure you can come up with something much better than having your crosshair disturbing your ironsight aiming. (it's very hard to aim through the little Hunting Rifle ironsight btw)

Just a circle group that closes in tight and isn't a complete circle, but basically corner brackets. Something like gears of war if memory serves.

https://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/72426/chainsaw_qjpreviewth.jpg

Haymaker? Sure, come a little closer.

NONONO NOT HAYMAKER. Don't destroy me if it's not much to ask.

Just a circle group that closes in tight and isn't a complete circle, but basically corner brackets. Something like gears of war if memory serves.

https://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/72426/chainsaw_qjpreviewth.jpg

Now we're talking. This is much better in terms of not disturbing your "ironsight experience".

I don't know if you have played or tried Apex Legends, but the tripletake or the peacekeeper with choke have a pretty good and similar aiming system to what you have in mind, check it out if you want.

@madmole

are you guys gonna fix the lighting underground? Right now, if you have a base underground with lamps/torches and it's day outside, it's so bright my eyes bleed. You have to basically turn them off or remove torches, to see normally and still be able to see everything without any sources of lights...

Archived