Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

No plans until we can decide to do the new build menu or not. You would be able to select a shape, no more crafting specific oddball shapes like left corner gable etc.

Nice!

Madmole, I have some harmless yet intrinsecally evil questions about your time trying out a18:

1- How do you feel about disseases? My take is they currently are a little confusing (a17.3/17.4exp), for example a simple cure for an ailment like food poisoning (honey) takes a bunch of minutes to cure and doesn't give the player any feedback on said cure until it dissapears. Ironically, the old system was a mess and clunky, but worked well in that it gave a clear feedback for every disease and its cure every time.

2- Water and food?.Picture the following : You start the game in a17.3/4. You get thirsty at 75 water. You invest in the metabolic perk and fortitude. You can drink more (from an initial overtop of 150 to a 160, 170, 180... etc for each point) Nice! But you now get thirsty at 100 water and the more you invest the higher the thirst limit is and the sooner you get the icon. Same with food. Is it intended to have an eternal thirst and hunger icon popping next to you all the time? The actual health lost (red icon) is starting always on spot at the correct hunger level, but you will be having those mild hunger/thirst orange icons of evil for life like an annoying cake-gifting neighbour.

I feel like the Light/Heavy Armor perks could use some looking at. With the base armor rating values being tiny single digits, the perks with their meager 10% boosts take a lot of stacking to even see an increase of 1 point of armor.

I understand the perks are likely to be used in conjunction with item mods, but that's only useful once you have said mods and high-tier armor to socket them into, and not to mention that the mods themselves mostly supplant the need for a perk in the first place.

Also, the durability boost from the perks is hardly exciting as everything is so easy to repair except for Military Armor, and they're honestly durable enough as is.

Would it be possible to make the perks a little more exciting? Perhaps by adding a flat +1 AR per level instead of 10%, and maybe some natural mobility improvements or extra mod slots? You could rationalize it as getting more acclimatized to wearing the armor and understanding how to modify it better.

I am talking about the balance of the skills. If you can instantly kill a zombie 45% of the time with a head shot why would you get individual weapon class perks. I am trying to balance the skill points a little, and a stun is still a huge bonus with the added damage. It also means to get a stun chance and an instant kill chance you would need both headshot and a specific class of weapon (pistol, shotgun ect...). You would still get to blow up zombie heads but it would allow for a longer character build up in development.

I see. I apologize for my rushed conclusion.

I was half joking but what was the answer to kid zombies? I think it was before my time. But creepy little kids are always scarier in horror movies, like Pet Sematary, and I would think twice because it's a kid, human nature to nurture kids, rather than slaughter. Adults are fair game. Baby Zombies in zombie flicks are scary, but in a different way. That's just sad. But the Poopy Pants daycare full of zombie kids...I would be scareder than a stadium full of adult zombies. Or a semetary full of pet zombies. But a zoo full of Zoombies... that's some scary sh*t. Lions and Tigers and Bears... Zombie Serengetti... or Zombie Sharks...any ways, Chucky was scarier because he was a doll of a kid. Way scarier than a ken doll zombie. Also if you've ever had a pack of feral children attack you and cling to your legs, just imagine they are hungry little zombies next time. If you tried to attack then you could just as easily cut you own leg and cripple yourself. Not to mention they are fast and can fit through one block ingresses in real life.,

It was way back.. In like Alpha 15-16? I asked the same question. Was told it is unnaceptable because of some organisation that protects childerns rights.

And i think we are both scared of something else then, zombie child seems like much easier target in my eyes (weaker body construction and muscles)

No plans until we can decide to do the new build menu or not. You would be able to select a shape, no more crafting specific oddball shapes like left corner gable etc.

This would be extremely significant in prefab creation, spent the last two days with my wife working on another massive dungeon POI. While I am a bit better than her at finding all the "oddball shapes" to form roofs and intersecting at different angles, anything that would make this easier is very exciting to both of us.

MOAR Shapes!

Trees cast shadows, grass will never cast shadows because its ugly and slow.

Thanks. I always thought it was a bug as it was around in A16 then it disappeared. It doesn't look right without it and how it meshes with the landscape , but that's my trivial opinion.

The devil himself, if you pay him in your soul, he'll contemplate convincing Joel to release a video.

Of course he'll fail anyways, no devil can control The Mole.

- - - Updated - - -

I`ll send you my PayPal, but Joel have a mind of his own, so results vary.

Well, you're a bad scammer, you have to give me certainty. I'll send you 10k anyways, for your effort.

This would be a welcome change. Especially since (thinking off the top of my head) variable resource costs for these shapes isn't really needed. It's not like most of the different shapes provide a tactical advantage and therefore shouldn't require balancing for gameplay.

Guest Rassilon
@MM

Sphereii made a mod that forbids to put a block if a player is not on the ground. This prevents attempts to climb up by placing the block under itself.

How about embedding this feature in the main game?

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?103783-sphereii-s-SDX-Mods&p=970059&viewfull=1#post970059

Actually not a bad idea.

Then again, if not Nerdpole, Players will do a Spiralstaircase up. Slightly more effort, same result.

its bugging me too, how easy it is to get on the Treasures of Big Dungeons.

Already is, but you lose the skill points I think. I've shortened it considerably, its not bad now. I think it goes bedroll, club, bow, pants shirt 1 frame, 1 upgrade, campfire trader.

What about a "skip tutorial yes/no" popup that will give you the points and trader location on clicking "yes"?

Though, you work to make is shorter is very welcome, thank you.

Actually not a bad idea.

Then again, if not Nerdpole, Players will do a Spiralstaircase up. Slightly more effort, same result.

the most important - thing is simply.

@MM

Sphereii made a mod that forbids to put a block if a player is not on the ground. This prevents attempts to climb up by placing the block under itself.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?103783-sphereii-s-SDX-Mods&p=970059&viewfull=1#post970059

I never nerdpole, I just make ladders. Especially with the stamina drain and noise it makes to jump I just find it easier. Just put a hatch on top and it's zombie proofed.

Actually not a bad idea.

I think nerdpolling is essential to build bases, maybe they can tie the loot you find in the final "loot room" to how many zombies you cleared or passed in stealth mode.

Either way, if you do nerdpolling to get to the loot room (If it is at the top of the dungeon) you're taking away the fun to the dungeon design (which is amazing) and loosing level and other loot in the process.

It obviously only has value for returning players but it would be a nice touch, not a priority but something to consider. You could just have a toggle in the options menu and just start every player with the extra skill points whether they completed it or not.

Since the purpose of these skill points seem to be to reward players for doing the tutorial their value is limited anyway. New players can't know they will get that bonus, so no real incentive for them, and they are the only ones who might need that tutorial.

I would remove those skill points completely and give a random mod or book as a reward at the end.

Or even better make the last quest of finding the trader give a reward selection screen like any other lvl1 quest the trader gives out. Instead of xp you get a little money to buy something at the trader and a random item.

@MM

So if you fall down a hole you can no longer climb out by stacking frames in the hole underneath you and climbing on top of them. No thanks.

So if you fall down a hole you can no longer climb out by stacking frames in the hole underneath you and climbing on top of them. No thanks.

And if you fall in the lava, trying to get some diamonds, how do you spec to survive? Wait, wrong game.

??? ....Why? there are many ways to get out, including using blocks, they can be put not only for themselves...

Archived