Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

@MM

Sphereii made a mod that forbids to put a block if a player is not on the ground. This prevents attempts to climb up by placing the block under itself.

How about embedding this feature in the main game?

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?103783-sphereii-s-SDX-Mods&p=970059&viewfull=1#post970059

I like nerd poling, why get rid of it?

For those who'd like to easily skip the initial tutorial quests (at least partially), you can just change these two lines in the quests.xml :

(Lines 80 and 81)

<reward type="Exp" value="100" />
<reward type="Quest" id="quest_BasicSurvival2" />

to this :

<reward type="Exp" value="700" />
<reward type="Quest" id="quest_whiteRiverCitizen1">
 <property name="chainquest" value="false" />
</reward>
<reward type="SkillPoints" value="4" chainreward="true" />

or even make it a modlet for reuse.

You'll need to make and place a bedroll but will be given 700 XP and 4 skill points for it and then locate the trader. :)

So the whole "let's remove nerdpoling" is back...

I hope that never becomes a thing...

There is a mod to remove nerdpoling. Works well. No need to change the base game. If you want it, use the mod.

I like nerd poling, why get rid of it?

Because got rid of the possibility of running backwards and sideways?

Let's remove the zombies.

yeah, nobody liked them anyway.

There is a mod to remove nerdpoling. Works well. No need to change the base game. If you want it, use the mod.

right. no need to play vanilla - use mods. For vanilla - nothing not need to....

!?...xyth???

Because got rid of the possibility of running backwards and sideways?

yeah, nobody liked them anyway.

right. no need to play vanilla - use mods. For vanilla - nothing not need to....

!?...xyth???

What does the removal of backward running have to do with nerdpoling?

And xyth has a point. It's a mechanic that has been in the game for a long time and that is not productive for developers to fix because of potential issues that may arise from it and because of how easy it is to work around it. No nerdpoling? Use ladders. No ladders? Make a staircase. So, if some players really do take issue with it, they have the possibility of using a mod. Just because a mod is a more convenient way to implement some things rather than to include it in the base game doesn't mean that "no need to play vanilla".

What does the removal of backward running have to do with nerdpoling?

I will be able to answer your question when you tell me the reason for removing backward running.

I'd like to play without the forbidden backward running because i play with running zombies.

Let "disable backward running" - will mod.

I will be able to answer your question when you tell me the reason for removing backward running.

I'd like to play without the forbidden backward running because i play with running zombies.

Let "disable backward running" - will mod.

Are you saying that because you disagree with past changes, new change suggestions cannot be discussed? Make a different thread to discuss past changes.

For those who don't like nerdpoling, just don't do it. If you don't like others doing it, rent a server and make it a server rule. The backward running statement does not make sense....it was never discussed before it was implemented, it was purely a tfp decision with no forum input. We've discussed nerdpoling in depth in the past, tfp said they aren't removing it so why beat a dead horse? Don't like it, don't do it then there's no issue.

I think nerdpoling is awful gamey and also awful and gamey.

We rarely use it, no mods, nothing, just no reason. There are many of us like that.

In videostho, I noticed that people nerdpole mostly when they are bored and need to get into a building the fast way. You know, not including building high, it's tricky.

Nice!

Madmole, I have some harmless yet intrinsecally evil questions about your time trying out a18:

1- How do you feel about disseases? My take is they currently are a little confusing (a17.3/17.4exp), for example a simple cure for an ailment like food poisoning (honey) takes a bunch of minutes to cure and doesn't give the player any feedback on said cure until it dissapears. Ironically, the old system was a mess and clunky, but worked well in that it gave a clear feedback for every disease and its cure every time.

2- Water and food?.Picture the following : You start the game in a17.3/4. You get thirsty at 75 water. You invest in the metabolic perk and fortitude. You can drink more (from an initial overtop of 150 to a 160, 170, 180... etc for each point) Nice! But you now get thirsty at 100 water and the more you invest the higher the thirst limit is and the sooner you get the icon. Same with food. Is it intended to have an eternal thirst and hunger icon popping next to you all the time? The actual health lost (red icon) is starting always on spot at the correct hunger level, but you will be having those mild hunger/thirst orange icons of evil for life like an annoying cake-gifting neighbour.

Disease needs a full design. Something like what we used to have.

I think it works off of a percentage so if your x percent hungry its going to behave the same. You can hold more food and stuff so its not as fast. It sounds like you need slow metabolism.

I feel like the Light/Heavy Armor perks could use some looking at. With the base armor rating values being tiny single digits, the perks with their meager 10% boosts take a lot of stacking to even see an increase of 1 point of armor.

I understand the perks are likely to be used in conjunction with item mods, but that's only useful once you have said mods and high-tier armor to socket them into, and not to mention that the mods themselves mostly supplant the need for a perk in the first place.

Also, the durability boost from the perks is hardly exciting as everything is so easy to repair except for Military Armor, and they're honestly durable enough as is.

Would it be possible to make the perks a little more exciting? Perhaps by adding a flat +1 AR per level instead of 10%, and maybe some natural mobility improvements or extra mod slots? You could rationalize it as getting more acclimatized to wearing the armor and understanding how to modify it better.

We will be looking at armor some more. We might do something like remove the movement and stamina penalties and just make armor better so perks don't increase AR. Then armor can be much better. The best armor is find or schematic craft only and with new random stats coming the best gear will always be loot only.

WOO! That is good news, thanks for the update. With all the mining changes, I am looking forward to digging into A18. [insert rimshot]

I hope to bring back the resource piles and they will lead right to the vein. No more dirt sampling. What you see is what you get.

Archived