Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Why? Who doesn't need a club, bow, bedroll and plant fiber pants and campfire? The only non essential thing is crafting one frame and upgrading it.

Yes everyone needs a campfire, but I don't want to make one until I have something to cook. Those 8 stones are more valuable as stone arrow tips when getting started.

Maybe each could be a separate quest instead of a chain, and so could be completed out of (the current) order and at the player's leisure/preference. That way, everyone will still get their points, but not feel obligated to do them in the first 5 minutes of each game just to get them out of the way and get those sweet, sweet skill points.

Tell me please - what problems you have with grass?

Just, for me - filling the grass completely (100%) the entire surface to the horizon - does not reduce the speed of any frame (at maximum setting, hmmm...perhaps my GTX970 does not let me understand this problem?)

What's the bottleneck? in Filrate? geometry? AO?

You think so because never played with "always running" zombies.

as shown in the vid, you could do that without nerdpoling as well. place two frames on the ground. get on top of one, place a second one, get on top, remove the one besides, upgrade the one standing on. ta-da. takes 2 seconds longer and is the same thing without nerdpole.

i'd recomend just dont do it. if you gonna fight the zombies as shown in the vid, then dont play with running zombies IMO.

1. Automatically exit the aiming mode when the character starts to run (the SHIFT button is pressed)

2. Automatically exit the aiming mode when reloading a firearm or crossbow.

3. Automatically cancel the reloading of a firearm or crossbow when a player tries to escape (the SHIFT button is pressed) or add the ability to cancel reloading.

4. Automatically cancel stealth mode when a player tries to jump in this mode.

Excellent suggestions.

I would also add the cancellation of reloading upon switching to another weapon.

Actually, yes I can. There is only 1% potential customers that are Linux users because of the platform's user base. Even if 100% of linux user bought a game, that would still only total 1% of a game's potential customer base.

Potential customers are not the same as real customers.

When I open a business, I have millions or maybe even billions of potential customers. But if nobody buys from me, I don't have any real customers.

And if 50% of my real customers have a blue beard but the general percentage of potential customers with a blue beard is only 1% then my business is attractive for blue beard customers for some reason.

Accordingly, it would be counterproductive to ignore blue beard customers just because most potential customers don't have blue beards.

The discussion is however a moot point, because MM said literally the same thing as I did, but without the link for proof.

A general market overview is not yet proof. A proof would be the sales figures e.g. in the Steam Shop. However, these are not publicly accessible.

Linux servers are different thing, but the tiny fraction of actual linux players are the problem.

Not really because in game streaming the server is the place where the game is run and the graphics are rendered.

This graphic is streamed to the client no matter which platform it is running on. The platform can even be an Android or iOS tablet. This is the concept behind platforms like Google Stadia.

So to be able to play on a platform like Google Stadia, the game must meet the appropriate requirements.

In this case it means to support Linux and Vulkan.

We will be looking at armor some more. We might do something like remove the movement and stamina penalties and just make armor better so perks don't increase AR. Then armor can be much better. The best armor is find or schematic craft only and with new random stats coming the best gear will always be loot only.

But, if you remove the movement and stamina penalties, you'll be removing the "No armor-fast looter-Glenn from TWD type" class with them.

It's cool to have to think, what kind of task you have to do, at what time of the day, in which biome, to equip the armor that suits you better (or no armor for less stamina usage and faster movement).

Yeah I could power walk forward faster than that. We tried making combat more challenging and like other shooters. They simply don't let you strafe or backpedal 100% speed. We're very forgiving, it should be slower than it is. Its way too easy to avoid getting hit.

I play on Daytime: Jog (zombie speed) and let me tell you it's just perfect, big slow zombies almost reach you, and the skinny faster zombies go faster than you

///

i'd recomend just dont do it. if you gonna fight the zombies as shown in the vid, then dont play with running zombies IMO.

...Did I understand correctly, that as a solution to the problem you suggest not to play with running zombies?

Excellent suggestions.

I would also add the cancellation of reloading upon switching to another weapon.

+1 to all of this. I've died many times to having another zombie come around a corner while reloading and being unable to "Abort! Abort!" so I can get some distance. This is the only reason I spent points on Run n' Gun ahead of other things I wanted to bypass this critical restriction.

If you wanted a reasonable consequence to cancelling a reload, have you fumble and drop a few rounds or something. Or, you know, just stop and let you cancel?

Why? Who doesn't need a club, bow, bedroll and plant fiber pants and campfire? The only non essential thing is crafting one frame and upgrading it.

The problem is the order. No one wants to have to make a bow again after they already have one, just because it's the bow's turn in the quest.

If you frontloaded ALL of the quests (every quest comes in NOT as a chain, all at once), so that it didn't matter the order, it'd be a whole lot better, and we wouldn't be wasting resources making things twice, or wasting time standing around knocking out the quest.

The chain for the tutorial just doesn't work.

It would work GREAT if there was a little "tutorial map" though, because it would then make sense. Start off on a 128x128 map next to a dude to tells you to do this then do that...

That was a sprint? Why was he considerably faster while running forward?

Let's see him sprint backwards over uneven ground with rocks, brush and trees - while shooting a bow or swinging a club at an enemy. Then you'll have yourself a valid argument that still won't matter in TFP's opinion of how they want the moving backwards to work.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone argue that sprinting backwards shouldn't be slower than sprinting forward but to remove any ability to backpedal quickly does make the game just feel weird. No I can't "sprint" backwards. But I can move backwards at several different rates and the top one is definitely faster than my normal forward walking speed.

...Did I understand correctly, that as a solution to the problem you suggest not to play with running zombies?

Not at all. the discussion was about nerdpole and how removing it would only cause the players to build two rows of frames and switch between them.

then you posted the video saying that Gazz probably never played with running zombies. so i said that you could also avoid this running zombie by building the structure shown in vid without nerdpoling and that it wouldnt change anything.

but maybe i missunderstood you. you wanted nerdpole to be removed right? so you showed a vid of somebody nerdpoling. that confused me. if the person playing in the vid wasnt able to nerdpole, he could've solved the situation exactly the same with 2 seconds more effort.

BUT i then said, that if you're gonna kill zombies by building such mini-poles for everyone of them, you probably shouldnt play with running zombies.. :)

EDIT: i mean, whats the point of them running, if you always hide on top of a mini pole you just constructed?

EDIT: i mean, whats the point of them running, if you always hide on top of a mini pole you just constructed?

When I watch the video, he's not hiding up there. On the contrary. He hit the zombie with his club. With the raised position he only gained an advantage in the fight. Hiding would mean that one does not move.

And when I consider that he suffered from hunger and food poisoning and was encumbered, that was the tactically wisest decision he could make.

Building scaffolding (nerdpolling) in a world is not the problem, that loot is always in the same spot is the problem.

If you like cheesing the game. I look at it like well I might have missed a few bookcases inside, I missed out on a lot of XP and who knows what other loot.

True, in my experience, when I play on "Always Run" I fight normally, like when I play on normal server.

Being that said, when a horde of dogs, surround me and I have frames on my belt, my instinct makes me try to survive (I play on Delete All on death), so I build a 2 block tower to reload my guns, or do a little bit of damage to them before they break it, or just to make a jump and win some space to fight.

I think it's not a exploit, because doing nerdpolling doesn't mean you'll survive, you only win a little bit of time. Wood Frames (frames in general) are absolutely melted in 0.5 seconds by any zombie, and having physics in the game, you will fall to your death anyway.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone argue that sprinting backwards shouldn't be slower than sprinting forward but to remove any ability to backpedal quickly does make the game just feel weird. No I can't "sprint" backwards. But I can move backwards at several different rates and the top one is definitely faster than my normal forward walking speed.

So you can sprint backwards without constantly looking behind your back on uneven ground which is full of stones, logs etc, while swinging a club/drawing a bow/shooting at a target? Can you show us a video of that? Uncut preferably.

Well, actually it literally does since nerdpoling has a specific definition of jumping and placing blocks beneath yourself in a single column which is why it is called nerdpoling instead of nerdtwintowering.

But that’s neither here nor there since it is here to stay. (Which I guess would make it here and not there)

It would just be a minor inconvenience. If zombies could climb frames then maybe it would be more interesting.

When I watch the video, he's not hiding up there. On the contrary. He hit the zombie with his club. With the raised position he only gained an advantage in the fight. Hiding would mean that one does not move.

And when I consider that he suffered from hunger and food poisoning and was encumbered, that was the tactically wisest decision he could make.

Wiser would be not to pull the zombie in the first place :) but yes i get what you‘re saying. But why showing this to strenghten the argument to remove nerdpoling (where this all started)?

Either way, if you do nerdpolling to get to the loot room (If it is at the top of the dungeon) you're taking away the fun to the dungeon design (which is amazing) and loosing level and other loot in the process.

If you like cheesing the game. I look at it like well I might have missed a few bookcases inside, I missed out on a lot of XP and who knows what other loot.

Yes.

I would add that the "Loot Room" should only exists for active POI quests, because a Min/Max'er will just strip mine a whole area of POI's because its faster and the Trader's "reward" is a huge joke.

Currently in 7D2D PvP, the people that play the game the "right" way... will lose.

What you have to be kidding. The guy gives you 1000's of dukes and boatloads of XP.

Archived