Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Why? Who doesn't need a club, bow, bedroll and plant fiber pants and campfire? The only non essential thing is crafting one frame and upgrading it.

Depending on the player, the only necessary items are the bedroll and a weapon. I've certainly waited to persue the other items until looting a bit.

I realize the tutorial is necessary for new players but for those of us who play a lot, it's a nuisance. I certainly don't think it's a high priority issue but an option to skip would be welcome.

It changes nothing. Forcing the player to build 2 columns instead of 1 does not remove nerdpoling.

The fix would be to have two or more possible locations for the primary loot room in each quest POI.

-OR-

Spread the good loot around the POI. Currently, its almost pointless to check any other location but the main loot room after Day 14, give or take a few days.

It changes nothing. Forcing the player to build 2 columns instead of 1 does not remove nerdpoling.

Well, actually it literally does since nerdpoling has a specific definition of jumping and placing blocks beneath yourself in a single column which is why it is called nerdpoling instead of nerdtwintowering.

But that’s neither here nor there since it is here to stay. (Which I guess would make it here and not there)

Building scaffolding (nerdpolling) in a world is not the problem, that loot is always in the same spot is the problem.

This would be the answer to a lot of issues said above and also increase the need to explore more in POI.

Random loot drops like they have in Skyrim.

Trees cast shadows, grass will never cast shadows because its ugly and slow.

Dunno about shadows, but I hope future grass can receive ambient occlusion.

Witcher 3 overlay comparison https://international.download.nvidia.com/geforce-com/international/comparisons/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-ambient-occlusion-interactive-comparison-1-nvidia-hbao-plus-vs-off.html

Shadow of the tomb raider overlay comparison https://images.nvidia.com/geforce-com/international/comparisons/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-ambient-occlusion-interactive-comparison-002-hbao-plus-vs-off.html

AO On

the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-ambient-occlusion-001-nvidia-hbao-plus.png

AO Off

the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-ambient-occlusion-001-off.png

<snip>

Assuming i have a heart!

Rocks indeed do not have hearts, nor souls, nor minds. They are strictly rocks. I AM ROCK!! :pride::pride: <mimicing a famous couple of movies>. Yet, said rock keeps the rest of us from enjoying the hugs of the lava monsters below...

Seriously... I do not understand the discussion concerning nerdpolling... What's the issue?? Some do, some don't. It's a personnal choice, really. However, when you find yourself 4 meters deep in a hole on day one as a noob (perhaps coming from MC, everyone and anyone knows what nerdpolling is in MC), how else are you going to get out of that hole in the middle of a delapitated city in the middle of Navesgane when you unknowingly ran down the road and fell into said hole. <don't missunderstand, I'm not a noob... I have nearly 1k+ hours... but many more in MC>

Nerdpolling is here to stay. <-- note the period. and should be in any fully destructible world.

It's just a convenient way to get out of some situations early game, a convenient way to build larger bases (without entering God-mode). Nerdpoling is needed. Sure there are other ways to get out of the hole, but when it come down to building large bases nerfpolling is necessary. Especially when painting.

I just don't understand this discussion... or why it's a discussion at all...

Maybe just me...

Greets!

On topic... I've been following every page of this topic... Love what is planned for the next alpha... to MM & the crew, love the direction, love the interaction with the community (even though some of us are not vocal), keep up the great work brother! Looking forward to what is to come! There are many of us silent peeps that really enjoy what y'all do (so I believe, since I am one of them, but cannot speak for any of them escept myself).

This would be the answer to a lot of issues said above and also increase the need to explore more in POI.

Random loot drops like they have in Skyrim.

I would add that the "Loot Room" should only exists for active POI quests, because a Min/Max'er will just strip mine a whole area of POI's because its faster and the Trader's "reward" is a huge joke.

Currently in 7D2D PvP, the people that play the game the "right" way... will lose.

I would add that the "Loot Room" should only exists for active POI quests, because a Min/Max'er will just strip mine a whole area of POI's because its faster and the Trader's "reward" is a huge joke.

Currently in 7D2D PvP, the people that play the game the "right" way... will lose.

I could have swore that the original design was to have a "boss" zombie and that they would drop the best loot. Whatever happened to that I wonder? Then have that boss be randomized (stats, effects, walk/run, placement, etc.) so you never know what you're gonna get. You know, like a box of chocolates.

I don't know about the Loot room only being active for quests. For one it would take the incentive to loot a non-quest POI out. Why would I ever want loot a non active POI(bigger ones) when I know it won't have good loots. Also, it would suck for people that don't like to do quests or play without using the trader.

I do agree that strip looting sucks. As it stands though, the game is starting to revolve a little too much around traders in my opinion, so I wouldn't want a system change that exacerbated this.

Yeah I could power walk forward faster than that. We tried making combat more challenging and like other shooters. They simply don't let you strafe or backpedal 100% speed. We're very forgiving, it should be slower than it is. Its way too easy to avoid getting hit.

It was a good change, always felt like my character had wheels instead of feet in earlier alphas. It is obviously not realistic to sprint backwards - anyone who says the opposite, doesn't care about realism, just wants easier combat.

Whoever claims that "it is about realism", deserves to be trolled mercilessly - like by enabling backwards sprinting, one would have a chance to trip at every ground prop he walked on with an added chance on non-flat ground. Using Skyrim (painfully slow) standing-up animations, allowing the enemy to mince you to bits before you can move.

Well, not exactly nothing, since the most "imbalanced" thing about nerd polling is to almost *instantly* avoid danger. Could also make wooden frames very attractive to the zombies/dogs etc when they player is on them and always make them get destroyed in one hit. There is no need for them to have over 1 hp tbh, since "everyone uses them for building".

The fix would be to have two or more possible locations for the primary loot room in each quest POI.

-OR-

Spread the good loot around the POI. Currently, its almost pointless to check any other location but the main loot room after Day 14, give or take a few days.

Agree to this, it is the main disadvantage of the "dungeon" POIs. Makes them feel artificial in the first place. Need more rng so that the player is never inclined to nerd poll to the roof or dig to the basement safe right away.

I could have swore that the original design was to have a "boss" zombie and that they would drop the best loot. Whatever happened to that I wonder?

If that was something that was at some point considered, thank god it didn't make it into the game having a boss for loot at POIs would be ridiculous.

Let's see him sprint backwards over uneven ground with rocks, brush and trees - while shooting a bow or swinging a club at an enemy. Then you'll have yourself a valid argument that still won't matter in TFP's opinion of how they want the moving backwards to work.

Yes, I wonder what would happen if one sprints backwards without looking where they are going, on rough uneven terrain, while trying to perform a demanding action. Natural selection would happen, probably.

So? Play as you like I say ;)

<Skipped first paragraph as I'm sure it's being worked on -Al>

I don't know about the Loot room only being active for quests. For one it would take the incentive to loot a non-quest POI out. Why would I ever want loot a non active POI(bigger ones) when I know it won't have good loots. Also, it would suck for people that don't like to do quests or play without using the trader.

I do agree that strip looting sucks. As it stands though, the game is starting to revolve a little too much around traders in my opinion, so I wouldn't want a system change that exacerbated this.

Maybe have my ideas for Storyline Mode (trader/faction focused game) and how it is now for Sandbox Mode?

With polish and general improvements to both of course.

if nerdpolling would be removed, you would not get out of a 1 block wide hole, if dont have anything else than stone axe lol. worst idea ever

What if ...you could place ladders in that 1 block hole? Or dig, like you do now with only a stone axe in your inventory. Did I just blow your mind or what.

Linux user base is less than 2%. Thats almost extinct.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/linux-market-share/

From a general overview of market shares, it is not possible to deduce the share of players on a platform in a particular game.

Windows players have a virtually unlimited choice of games. A game needs a lot of effort to stand out from the crowd. In Linux, on the other hand, the market for games is very limited, making it easier for a game to find buyers.

It may well be that a game has a higher share of players from a certain platform than the market share suggests.

In addition one must not ignore the future. With Stadia, Google has introduced a game streaming service that runs on Linux servers with Vulcan interface. If it is successful then you will probably see more games with Linux and Vulkan support.

From a general overview of market shares, it is not possible to deduce the share of players on a platform in a particular game.

Actually, yes I can. There is only 1% potential customers that are Linux users because of the platform's user base. Even if 100% of linux user bought a game, that would still only total 1% of a game's potential customer base.

The discussion is however a moot point, because MM said literally the same thing as I did, but without the link for proof.

Linux servers are different thing, but the tiny fraction of actual linux players are the problem.

Let's see...

[video=youtube_share;A1-LFgwdTXI]

Guy in this video HAS:

tgWmqjN.gif Big muscles

tgWmqjN.gif Big beard

tgWmqjN.gif Ability to sprint backwards

yes he's using a sprint animation both directions, but it's taking him 6 seconds to travel backwards while only 3 seconds in the forward direction

Dunno about shadows, but I hope future grass can receive ambient occlusion.

I'm fairly certain 7 days already has AO on the grass and other things. But to think is hasn't shows it needs some tweaking(I do believe Fataal recently did some fixes as it wasn't always turning on). Distant grass look like blobs and with A18 showing increased performance could add some headway for improvement.

Hi Joel.

I want to ask for some changes in Alpha 18 as much as possible. It really interferes with a comfortable game, IMHO.

1. Automatically exit the aiming mode when the character starts to run (the SHIFT button is pressed)

2. Automatically exit the aiming mode when reloading a firearm or crossbow.

3. Automatically cancel the reloading of a firearm or crossbow when a player tries to escape (the SHIFT button is pressed) or add the ability to cancel reloading.

4. Automatically cancel stealth mode when a player tries to jump in this mode.

5. Cancel weapon reload when a player tries to switch to another weapon.

I think these changes will add comfort not only to me.

Thank you.

Archived