Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I know, poor MM is having to scrounge by on foodstamps.....I can assure you, MM and company are doing JUST fine. I have a very successful business as well so I am no opposed to money. What I am opposed to is this update being about 6x longer than it was ever planned to be and then they still release it to streamers first. A17 was pretty much unplayable so most people have been really waiting since A16, almost 2.5 years ago for a real update.

Why can't developers be successful and not on foodstamps?

What if you don't like A18 either? You going to not play it and wait another year?

I don't doubt you have a successful business. You take $20 for every penny, recycling each cent again and again each alpha and still make demands for more, faster.

I know, poor MM is having to scrounge by on foodstamps.....I can assure you, MM and company are doing JUST fine. I have a very successful business as well so I am no opposed to money. What I am opposed to is this update being about 6x longer than it was ever planned to be and then they still release it to streamers first. A17 was pretty much unplayable so most people have been really waiting since A16, almost 2.5 years ago for a real update.

Dang after all this time (couple years) people still whine about a handful of streamers getting a game a few days sooner, which has no effect on you or when you receive it. Wild

As a minimalist, very few games have hooked me like 7 Days to Die - heck, I can count the number of them on one hand. Frequent breaks between games are a requirement for me so as to not be burnt out, but not 7D2D. There's something incredibly special about this game - in fact, I think it's a lot of things. The wonderful, honest engagement with you, TFP, to us, the community... The overall aesthetic of the game is incredibly attractive... And of course, the gameplay. Mining, base building and defense, looting, the quest system, and of course, bashing in zombie skulls with extreme prejudice. Nothing that exists out there comes close to this absolute gem of a title. Although I have only been legitimately playing since Alpha 17** (I had but a potato of a computer back then), I have sunk over 1,500 hours into this masterpiece, and I expect many more thousands of hours yet to come from my end; and I cannot wait to sink my teeth into Alpha 18. I am greatly anticipating the introduction and re-implementation of many thrilling features, including a much improved perk system, schematics... Oh, I'd better not tease my mind too much. ;)

Oh, and I'm greatly looking forward to the challenge. I seldom die; as stated in a previous post, the last time I died was back in Alpha 15, outside of multiplayer lag in more recent alphas. Bring it on, game! Bring it on!

(**I had 7D2D in my Steam library back when A15 first releases, but a month later, I lost my computer due to hardware issues. Took me a couple years to save up for the desktop I have today.)

Thank you, Fun Pimps, for bestowing upon us this absolute beauty that is called 7D2D, and may it continue to prosper - for it will, as it is in the best of hands. (:

Edit reason: spelling mistakes

@Madmole (or any TFP representative)

Will we be seeing the A18 release notes when the streamers get A18 on The 4th? Or not until the following Monday?

Thanks! Looking forward to it!

I hope this is seen, it's a good question. Will give information the streamers can go over and disseminate to the masses, and will be easier to look at all the new things and changes that have been done

Wandering hordes now are a random encounter and they come near you. It would be that with a bunch of other modes. I would like to do mini blood moons. Like a 2 hour warning and 1 hour worth of zombies swarms to you, similar to how STALKER's PSI-emission warning gives you that oh crap moment.

Edit:

We are talking for A19.

Just as long as we get the wondering horde without the warnings.

Dang after all this time (couple years) people still whine about a handful of streamers getting a game a few days sooner, which has no effect on you or when you receive it. Wild

The thing I dont get if TFP are so welling to give streamers the code why not give people like modders/coders it? I mean especially for those who make server managers and mods that are heavily used. The faster these modders update their stuff the faster server owners can update servers too, which would mean more servers for new players to play on when they buy the game. I can think of at least 10 coders/moders on this forum alone who i would rather have access to the game before any streamer.

This climate where people seem to think that it is an evil business practice for devs and game companies to try to make as much money as they can needs to end. Just because they make games doesnt mean they arent allowed to profit. Is MM and his team supposed to limit how much money they can make?

Funniest thing is the way some people talk I really wonder what you do in your real life. You must not be successful or have any money. Since no one else is allowed to be profitable, I assume you live by this same decree? Or are devs some mythical gods beholden to work 24 hours a day for pennies on the dollar so you can host your LAN part and eat Doritos all weekend.

Since when did it somehow become looked down upon for a small company to actually try to make money?

The thing I dont get if TFP are so welling to give streamers the code why not give people like modders/coders it? I mean especially for those who make server managers and mods that are heavily used. The faster these modders update their stuff the faster server owners can update servers too, which would mean more servers for new players to play on when they buy the game. I can think of at least 10 coders/moders on this forum alone who i would rather have access to the game before any streamer.

Because they do it for advertising. Modders aren't coming to them with viewerbases.

I'm not a modder so hopefully guppy or jax chime in because they will know infinitely more than me. But afaik modders wouldn't really be able to update their stuff since things are pretty much guaranteed to change as progress is made towards going from experimental to stable. I could be 100% wrong about that though

You should realize that A18 builds off of A17 and improves it but if you full out hated A17 then I can't see you falling in love with A18 especially if your hatred of A17 had anything to do with a lack of LBD, spending perk points earned by doing one thing on some other totally unrelated thing, "smart" AI, slow progression, perks you want being spread across different attributes, digging zombies, and lots of dungeon POI's. Those things are still present in A18. What A18 really does well is balance the xp gains better, gives greater incentives for looting and exploring, and offers five truly asymmetrical specialized builds that have advantages and disadvantages to their gameplay. Also A18 has better RWG.

I fully expect the same people who hated A17 to whine about several aspects* of A18 and many A17 haters I suspect will whine that it still seems to be "too similar" to that version you labeled as unplayable. But I could be wrong....

Demolisher forces one style of gameplay!!

Still too many sleepers per POI!!

Rage zombies are unfair especially with network issues!!

My favorite perks are spread across four attributes!!

Zombies still dig! Why are you forcing people above ground?!?!

Zombies destroy hatches above ladders now! Why are you forcing people off of their perches?!?!

I can kill zombies and then learn how to craft seeds!?!?!

Where's my hoe? It was my favorite tool in the game and a core tool since Alpha 1!!

Still no LBD!!

It's day 7 and I'm only level 8! A18 just stretches out the early game again!!

Why is the FOV locked!?!?

The good news is that if you liked A17 like I did then you will absolutely adore A18. One oft written remark I read when A17 dropped was that people just wished that TFP would have taken A16 as a base and enhanced that instead of doing the overhaul of A17. Well I am pleased to say that A18 is exactly that in relation to A17. They took the A17 base gameplay and improved and enhanced and added lots of reasons for exploration and fun progression opportunities via all the new books. But A18 is definitely closer to A17 than it is dissimilar at least in my opinion. And thank goodness it is nothing like that mess called A16...

Advertising mods on an early access stream would be the last thing tfp would want to do... They're not in control of the product, so if someone like kage with his 200k following saw him play darkness falls, and they saw the behomeths in game, it doesn't in any way benefit tfp... It hurts the point of them partnering with streamers for this event.

I could say that about alpha 13 to 17, but 18 is legit the game I've been wanting to make all these years, minus bandits, gold polish, etc. The core experience is amazing and it has that replay ability that Skyrim and Fallout have now regarding a new character build and a whole new feeling with each build, strengths, weaknesses. I'm barely playing any Skyrim now mostly play 7 days at night in my free time.

What do you mean, free time. Got to stuff some book writing-, screen writing- and acting-lessons in there. There is gonna be a movie, right?

Wandering hordes now are a random encounter and they come near you. It would be that with a bunch of other modes. I would like to do mini blood moons. Like a 2 hour warning and 1 hour worth of zombies swarms to you, similar to how STALKER's PSI-emission warning gives you that oh crap moment.

Edit:

We are talking for A19.

I wouldn't even have the sky go red. Just the crackling of thunder and 15 mins to get ready.

Well said. Profit is almost a dirty word these days lol

Exactly. Lol. Back when I was in high school, most of the teachers and other faculty banned YouTube within school grounds because the content creators made money off of their videos. Like, am I missing something? Is this supposed to morally make sense? Lol

deleted

- - - Updated - - -

Back when I was in high school, most of the teachers and other faculty banned YouTube within school grounds

That's so sad. Should have been banning cell phone use entirely, not just a single site visited. Idk how I ever survived a day at school pre cell phone days out of contact! Oh the horror! I know - grumpy old man syndrome... drives me absolutely crazy tho seeing people walking down the street with their heads buried in their phones. Or driving down the road. Or at their child's school play/sporting event etc.

Archived