Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Dang after all this time (couple years) people still whine about a handful of streamers getting a game a few days sooner, which has no effect on you or when you receive it. Wild

It would not get released to the public on a Friday so this changes nothing. /shrug

I feel the AI does what it needs to do pretty well at this point. The biggest improvement I'd like to make to AI is for them to be more efficient. I'd love to be able to get twice as many running at a time.

Interesting. Would you say AI is the biggest bottleneck preventing more zombies at once?

...A17 was... Not balanced or tested at all...

That is untrue, and entirely unfair to the many testers and other developers that worked many many many hours to produce A17.

TFP ≠ Madmole.

As a minimalist, very few games have hooked me like 7 Days to Die - heck, I can count the number of them on one hand. Frequent breaks between games are a requirement for me so as to not be burnt out, but not 7D2D. There's something incredibly special about this game - in fact, I think it's a lot of things. The wonderful, honest engagement with you, TFP, to us, the community... The overall aesthetic of the game is incredibly attractive... And of course, the gameplay. Mining, base building and defense, looting, the quest system, and of course, bashing in zombie skulls with extreme prejudice. Nothing that exists out there comes close to this absolute gem of a title. Although I have only been legitimately playing since Alpha 17** (I had but a potato of a computer back then), I have sunk over 1,500 hours into this masterpiece, and I expect many more thousands of hours yet to come from my end; and I cannot wait to sink my teeth into Alpha 18. I am greatly anticipating the introduction and re-implementation of many thrilling features, including a much improved perk system, schematics... Oh, I'd better not tease my mind too much. ;)

Oh, and I'm greatly looking forward to the challenge. I seldom die; as stated in a previous post, the last time I died was back in Alpha 15, outside of multiplayer lag in more recent alphas. Bring it on, game! Bring it on!

(**I had 7D2D in my Steam library back when A15 first releases, but a month later, I lost my computer due to hardware issues. Took me a couple years to save up for the desktop I have today.)

Thank you, Fun Pimps, for bestowing upon us this absolute beauty that is called 7D2D, and may it continue to prosper - for it will, as it is in the best of hands. (:

Edit reason: spelling mistakes

Well stated....this is my favorite game too. I don't recall what alpha I started on but have over 5000 hrs in I think. Someone posted once how they see rl buildings while outside and think how well it could be defended against zombies...yeah, that's me ever morning when I drive to work.

Well stated....this is my favorite game too. I don't recall what alpha I started on but have over 5000 hrs in I think. Someone posted once how they see rl buildings while outside and think how well it could be defended against zombies...yeah, that's me ever morning when I drive to work.

I live in Norway and everytime i see forests/mountains i feel like im in 7dtd :D nature here looks exactly like the forest biome

The best implementation of a lbd system that I've ever seen was an mmo called ultima online. Since then I havent seen anything even get close. OG Mmos by nature are somewhat grind fests / time sinks so it made sense in that type of game.

I cringe at the thought what their software requirement specifications looked like and the v&v that was done to balance all that stuff out.

I played UO for a couple months actually, got bad memories from all the PVP jerks that specialized in picking on the weaker people around the towns. I had just outgrown the newbie zones and tried several times to make it to the next area to hunt but they would hide on the edge of the city safe zone and hit you with insta-kill spells before you even knew they were there. Was not part of a large guild so had no way of fighting back. To this day it is the only game I ever truely rage quit and a big part of the reason I still dislike unlimited PVP.

It was not, but now it is.

Added vehicle turbo button toggles it when using a controller.

@MadMole:

I'm SO glad Fataal didn't take your advise and get some sleep! :)

That said, Fataal, You ROCK, and you've been n amazing addition to the team!!

May all the MF be on someone else's plate!!

THANK YOU, Fataal!

I plan on watching various streams and chatting.

I look forward to your comments on Jawoodle's videos trying to break your ai with his tunnel of death! (I hope the new ai changes can wreck it so I'm not tempted to do something similar.)

Sadly that boy doesn't have the bandwidth to stream, so he'll only be posting his videos on Youtube.

It must be fun trying to come up with evil ways to thwart us cheesing the ai!

Interesting. Would you say AI is the biggest bottleneck preventing more zombies at once?

As far as I know this has been the case for A17. I tested low res textures on zombies and allowed much more on screen without heavy fps losses, but shutting off the AI always increased the fps significantly as well. Having a ton of zombies, say 100+ alive at once you will see the AI bottleneck and cause many to just idle for a couple of seconds.

I hope Faatal has something cooking to make it more efficient, would love to be able to get more zombies on at once.

Maybe a much simpler controller could be a solution, one for filler zombies on Hordes/bloodmoons and then the more expensive one only reserved for sleepers and world zombies.

please bring back upside down drawbridges in A18, i want my elevator back :offended: ( used it in pvp servers instead of ladder )

Less glitchy stuff the better, to be honest. (sorry hatch users!)

Madmole mentioned he would like to look at a block railing system that would support rails/elevators. I could pull out the quote somewhere, but yeesh.. good luck sifting through posts lately :p.

Agreed though, some sort of elevator system would be a great addition, I liked Conan's implementation (I mean, if a barbarian can have one, why can't we? We can make motion sensor turrets for crap sake), it was slow as heck but the option to go vertical or horizontal was quite nice.

Archived