Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

The devs vision is: you survive and have fun while playing. A lot of people play for 1,2 hours a day. A Death penalty that literally blocks cool perk stuff for 30 mins is not fun but demeaning and prone to soon be followed by yet another death.

My argument is: Why not let the player decide what is fun for them by adding a new mechanic without completely removing the option for the old one? I am not saying that we SHOULDN'T have experience point loss on death, nor that we absolutely SHOULD have the Death Penalty. Give us the option to choose one, both, or neither. That way everyone can play the way they like. (I for one would probably play with both on, for instance)

While you're at it give us an option to lose a level (and the associated perk point) when we drop below the XP necessary for the current level, and a sliding scale of just how much XP we lose per death. And how long the Death Penalty lasts.

Let us sculpt our own experience.

Where are the PVP STREAMERS?

No one cares about PVP or PVP streamers would have applied. Get over it already man.

- - - Updated - - -

My argument is: Why not let the player decide what is fun for them by adding a new mechanic without completely removing the option for the old one? I am not saying that we SHOULDN'T have experience point loss on death, nor that we absolutely SHOULD have the Death Penalty. Give us the option to choose one, both, or neither. That way everyone can play the way they like. (I for one would probably play with both on, for instance)

While you're at it give us an option to lose a level (and the associated perk point) when we drop below the XP necessary for the current level, and a sliding scale of just how much XP we lose per death. And how long the Death Penalty lasts.

I currently have multiple Death Penalty modlets. Im sure others will bring this back and make new ones too. No need for options for this when modlets will easily give you what you are looking for.

No one cares about PVP or PVP streamers would have applied. Get over it already man.

- - - Updated - - -

I currently have multiple Death Penalty modlets. Im sure others will bring this back and make new ones too. No need for options for this when modlets will easily give you what you are looking for.

No reason not to have it in vanilla either. :p

- - - Updated - - -

A man with your talent would be better served on the PVP side of this game. Im not going lie our server uses one of your mods and wish you would make more for the PVP community. That being said dont fool yourself thinking no one cares about pvp in this game.

In videogames, politics and life in general I agree that the general truth is Options are better than no Options. I wouldn't give it much thought for this particular matter though, as it would be similar to make an option to turn every world Zd purple, or allow for every NPC in the game to have a Pikachu voice.

I plan on watching various streams and chatting.

Cool, cool. Hope to see you around. The chat loves it when fun pimps enter the chat rooms because everyone has something to say lol whether it's a barrage of questions or just people saying you're doing good work and the game is great etc

A man with your talent would be better served on the PVP side of this game. Im not going lie our server uses one of your mods and wish you would make more for the PVP community. That being said dont fool yourself thinking no one cares about pvp in this game.

I have always said that 7days PVP needs mods tailored to PVP.

I even once try to get a list of the core issues with vanilla PVP, to see what kind of mods would be needed, but it turned into a PVP vs. PVE fight.

- - - Updated - - -

I plan on watching various streams and chatting.

It would be cool to see you guys in some of the foreign streams... like the Japanese one or something. They friggin' love you over there.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to know this too...

I'm going to take an educated guess and say no issues unless tfp removed an actual block. The whole idea of getting rid of block IDs should have solved any potential conflicts going forward. Unless they decided to rename them. :)

... In which case I will give you gazz's address...

(I kid, it's easier to Google.)

I liked LBD and I miss it, felt good to see you rank up when you've been running or mining etc.

But at the same time, A18 looks like it is improving the A17 skill system and will be creating unique builds and play styles, so I may ultimately end up preferring the A18 system

Probably way late with this but I might as well take a couple swings at the dead horse...

I like the concept of LBD but never seen an implementation that I felt worked well. Even here there were parts that were annoying in that things were not well planned out. For instance, you needed to hit things 25 times to gain a level of experience, but to gain a level of defense, you also needed to be hit 25 times. So for some things you pretty much needed to go out of your way to setup a 'safe' leveling situation so you could gain those skills for when you really needed it.

I always thought a good option would be starting with a skill point system like A18 will have but you can optimize certain skills a few extra points by doing them...

@FAATAL

how to you do it the coding for the AI, is it hard or easy?

and how do you feel about the AI?

The AI is mostly c# code and a little XML. Hard or easy is relative. I've done AI on other games before, so I generally know what it needs to do, but the hard part comes with all the situations the AI has to deal with and edge cases that come up. Lots of analysis, adjustments and testing.

I feel the AI does what it needs to do pretty well at this point. The biggest improvement I'd like to make to AI is for them to be more efficient. I'd love to be able to get twice as many running at a time.

Wait - is this why when playing as a client in P2P MP games, you can get hit by zombies even if you are out of their range?

Somehow zombies always seem to have longer arms when I'm joined as a client - even if I have a really low ping (<30)

-A

AI and player attack ranges are all based on Range values in items.xml. Player melee weapons and AI hands, can generally hit farther than their hands animate to.

Probably way late with this but I might as well take a couple swings at the dead horse...

I like the concept of LBD but never seen an implementation that I felt worked well. Even here there were parts that were annoying in that things were not well planned out. For instance, you needed to hit things 25 times to gain a level of experience, but to gain a level of defense, you also needed to be hit 25 times. So for some things you pretty much needed to go out of your way to setup a 'safe' leveling situation so you could gain those skills for when you really needed it.

I always thought a good option would be starting with a skill point system like A18 will have but you can optimize certain skills a few extra points by doing them...

The best implementation of a lbd system that I've ever seen was an mmo called ultima online. Since then I havent seen anything even get close. OG Mmos by nature are somewhat grind fests / time sinks so it made sense in that type of game.

I cringe at the thought what their software requirement specifications looked like and the v&v that was done to balance all that stuff out.

Indeed. Better handled by mods. More vanilla options, means more support, testing and potential bugs. We need to pick and choose wisely.

@Madmole

By the way, I put a lot more thought in to one of our conversations we had.

I said I would get back to you if I ever come up with a good counter arguement. Well after hours of sitting here looking at your response, realism trumps fun, for hours and giving it a lot of thought. I have finally come up with one. Although I would not consider it a counter arguement instead, more of a description of that which is to come. This understanding will result in your original assertion, which still holds strong and hole proof, no longer being relevant. This opens the imagination up to think of all the untapped possibilities.

I don't want to state it publically because.. ...possibility of profit, truth be told...

If you ever end up having 5 minutes free one day hit me up, I'm interested in hearing what you think of my rebuttal.

The scenario and discription I finally came up with I think will impress you, that is unless you have a counter arguement that pokes holes in it again lol. If thats the case then I would only need 2 minutes of your time lol.

Private Message: https://7daystodie.com/forums/member.php?160813-ZombieSurvivor

Discord: ..ZombieSurvivor..#1423

608605509_freehug.jpg.1c3ffbdae0f9278cc6ccb7dd7a063c0e.jpg

To watch OTHERS play the game to drive hype for more sales. WOOHOO so excited....j/k I'm not, kids want to watch people play games. If it is ready for STREAMERS it is ready for the masses to play on experimental.

You're right, it IS ready for the public at the same time as it is for the streamers. That doesn't matter at all tho. If TFP chooses to get some free advertising that is totally THEIR choice. They owe you nothing.

Im only repeating what higher ups here seem to keep saying. That said send me a message. Im interested in ideas for PVP. Personally Id love there to be focus on some type of conflict between players at some point. Im not against developing a mod around PVP. But Im not a primary PVP player. So a message with your thoughts on what you wish to see would save clutter here and maybe make your community a bit happier as well.

This is a small company trying to make some money... is there something wrong with that? Pimps need to eat too.

If this were a AAA title, we wouldn't be playing this at all.

I know, poor MM is having to scrounge by on foodstamps.....I can assure you, MM and company are doing JUST fine. I have a very successful business as well so I am no opposed to money. What I am opposed to is this update being about 6x longer than it was ever planned to be and then they still release it to streamers first. A17 was pretty much unplayable so most people have been really waiting since A16, almost 2.5 years ago for a real update.

Im only repeating what higher ups here seem to keep saying. That said send me a message. Im interested in ideas for PVP. Personally Id love there to be focus on some type of conflict between players at some point. Im not against developing a mod around PVP. But Im not a primary PVP player. So a message with your thoughts on what you wish to see would save clutter here and maybe make your community a bit happier as well.

I'm also in. I had a fun little pvp city with weird pvp stuff and it was cool. I'm already flow charting a PVP mod anyway... So yeh, more ideas.

Archived