Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Map out progression rewards for achieving internal goals, how much stonecrafting XP is there to get, plot an S-curve, doing stonecrafting tasks moves you along the X axis and resulting skill bennies on the Y. Pass the big-payoff part of the curve you hit diminishing returns, your 50th stone tool of any sort gets you not very much because there's not much more stonecrafting XP left to get. How much normal-zed/feral-zed/rad-zed POI-clearing XP is there to get? S-curve progression. Probably getting too cute with it, your progression could be multidimensional, so you have a club curve and a shovel curve and a stone curve and an iron curve -- you could even get _really_ ♥♥♥♥ing cute and factor the party use progression into the crafting skill, so if nobody in your party ever uses a bow that's near your currrent competence level you can make all the bows you want, but you'll never get better because you've got no clue what works.

Yup someone else can design that can of worms, TFP is very happy with the current progression system in A18.

UFC 1 allowed nearly anything, but biting I think. Guys were getting head stomped, kneed on the ground, balls punched 50 times, etc it was crazy.

I remember pride (I think) was pretty brutal... Loved it. As long as they're a willing participant, fuggit.

Royce ruined the entertainment imo by introducing a superior way of winning. :)

To watch OTHERS play the game to drive hype for more sales. WOOHOO so excited....j/k I'm not, kids want to watch people play games. If it is ready for STREAMERS it is ready for the masses to play on experimental.

It HAS to be a Monday release for the masses because thousands of people will be playing the game and almost assuredly find bugs, and they need the full crew working hotfixes if necessary. So it is either a few streamers get it Friday and build hype and we get it Monday, or no one gets it Friday and we all get it Monday regardless

Any good dev would try the mods that are out there for their own game, if for anything to see what improvements could be made. But you choose to insult the people who have been fixing your game for you for years and giving it the replay ability you are only just touching on in 18. (Fataal’s played RH, whats your excuse MM?)

Also fyi I’m not one of the “2 fans” that play RH, too micro managey for my taste. But Jax beat you to random rage zombies, so good luck convincing me you didn’t steal it from his mod.

I've never played any 7dtd mods. Seen some pictures.

Ideals are a dime a dozen. I don't find looking at other games/mods/whatever all that useful, because I already have 10x more ideas than I could do in my lifetime. Looking around for more, so I can make that 20x is kind of depressing. Occasionally you will find a cool idea, but usually you can't run off and do it anyway do to limitations of life, so toss it on a list and maybe someday.

Raging is something I tossed in, because it made sense when I was working on some AI code, so sure. Genius? Hardly. A thousand other game devs would of come up with the same thing doing my job.

Execution is king. So many ideas fall on their face do to poor execution.

Ideals are a dime a dozen. I don't find looking at other games/mods/whatever all that useful, because I already have 10x more ideas than I could do in my lifetime. Looking around for more, so I can make that 20x is kind of depressing. Occasionally you will find a cool idea, but usually you can't run off and do it anyway do to limitations of life, so toss it on a list and maybe someday.

Raging is something I tossed in, because it made sense when I was working on some AI code, so sure. Genius? Hardly. A thousand other games devs would of come up with the same thing doing my job.

Do you foresee any issues with custom prefabs built with the A17.4 editor going into A18?

It HAS to be a Monday release for the masses because thousands of people will be playing the game and almost assuredly find bugs, and they need the full crew working hotfixes if necessary. So it is either a few streamers get it Friday and build hype and we get it Monday, or no one gets it Friday and we all get it Monday regardless

yeah i kinda hyped my self up

yeah i kinda hyped my self up

Haha it's hard not to get hyped when you see all the stuff they're adding or changing, like imo making looting great again.

Also I believed the encounter system was in A18 but it's not? Don't know where my brain got that from, must have crossed some wires going through all the forum posts

Haha it's hard not to get hyped when you see all the stuff they're adding or changing, like imo making looting great again.

Also I believed the encounter system was in A18 but it's not? Don't know where my brain got that from, must have crossed some wires going through all the forum posts

yeah im just so hyped

I actually approached Faatal and wanted a dead rising type lunge animation (we have some laying around) hooked up, and he thought of the rage idea because it was easy and I said sure lets try it, and it came out great.

I can barely remember that. ;)

Raging is something I tossed in, because it made sense when I was working on some AI code, so sure. Genius? Hardly. A thousand other game devs would of come up with the same thing doing my job.

As always, it's a delight to read your posts.

@Madmole

By the way, I put a lot more thought in to one of our conversations we had.

I said I would get back to you if I ever come up with a good counter arguement. Well after hours of sitting here looking at your response, realism trumps fun, for hours and giving it a lot of thought. I have finally come up with one. Although I would not consider it a counter arguement instead, more of a description of that which is to come. This understanding will result in your original assertion, which still holds strong and hole proof, no longer being relevant. This opens the imagination up to think of all the untapped possibilities.

I don't want to state it publically because.. ...possibility of profit, truth be told...

If you ever end up having 5 minutes free one day hit me up, I'm interested in hearing what you think of my rebuttal.

The scenario and discription I finally came up with I think will impress you, that is unless you have a counter arguement that pokes holes in it again lol. If thats the case then I would only need 2 minutes of your time lol.

Private Message: https://7daystodie.com/forums/member.php?160813-ZombieSurvivor

Discord: ..ZombieSurvivor..#1423

MM, dont get into the white van!!!! 😁

@madmole, you guys should probably make zombies play a special noise when they become enraged as a telegraph

Yeah, maybe they should let out a more ferocious noise when they become enraged? Could already be in the game for all I know though

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, there are lounge animations planned? :o

Yeah man, zombies need to relax after a long hard day of eating people

will the random encounter feature in A18 activate even if i stay at my base? sometimes i dont feel like going to the next big town to loot 3 houses and then be forced to come back cause lack of space (i know we have the 4x4 but motorbike is more versatile) but i would love it if those ♥♥♥♥ers and their moms come and challenge me big time now and then

Wandering hordes now are a random encounter and they come near you. It would be that with a bunch of other modes. I would like to do mini blood moons. Like a 2 hour warning and 1 hour worth of zombies swarms to you, similar to how STALKER's PSI-emission warning gives you that oh crap moment.

Edit:

We are talking for A19.

Archived