Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

No offense here, but in all seriousness i think people are spoiled by 2019 graphics and physics in their video games. When i started 7D2D I noticed the graphics were mediocre at best and the water physics are wonky at best as well. This never turned me away from the game as the game itself, fighting off Z's and being able to build a structure without limitation in a world where everything is truly destructible/editable was what hooked me. The constant fight to stay alive and by not doing the small things could end you is immersive and keeps me engaged. Throughout the few years i been playing (since A16, I know a late bloomer) I have never even thought about the graphics, physics, and animations. I was too immersed in the game having a great time! in total the 1100+ hours of play time i have put into the game I have met some new online friends, seen this game grow and above all the graphics and animations have had a HUGE upgrade to them. this game looks great for what TFP are trying to accomplish. I am all about adding more things into the proverbial Sandbox to further keep me immersed and interested. A18 seems to take a huge leap in both immersion and "carrot on a stick" part while continuing to further update the graphics! This with the RWG changes and all the new POIs and holy heck i'll probably put at least at a minimum 1000 hours into A18 alone. to think that $25 will bring me over 2000 hours of joy and fun is mind blowing to me. you guys should charge more!

I hope you focus on this and leave the water physics alone trust me, that's a thing people won't care about too much. it's a thing, but imo its not that big of a thing. Great work TFP and I can't wait to get my hands on the update!!!

but i like 7dtd graphics and i love the games physics but the water isnt as good as on land. but i have my small problems (very small)

1: zombies that look the same and walk the same way. (its just a pet peeve)

2: cooking with water jars like with soup (its just a bit odd that if you cook boiled meat and your glass jar just disrepair lol)

3: water physics ( just needs some fixes nothing to crazy)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also your a late bloomer? i got the game like 4 weeks ago XD

- - - Updated - - -

Everywhere but wasteland, but in the future it might be just forest. Depends how harsh we want weather and other biomes to be.

Cool

but i think the wasteland could uses some love (its my favorite biome) im not going to get into it but all it just need is some love

For A18 I'm gonna try Roland's 0xp mod. Zombies should not be hunted for xp, they should be an obstacle, a threat. Roland's idea seems good on paper, I hope it plays great.

It is an interesting and different feel but A18 does fix a lot of the issues I had with feeling like all xp was coming from zombies. It really does feel much more spread across different activities in vanilla. A18 breaks my mod pretty badly in a few areas so I'll be leaving it as an A17 only mod until I can wrap my head around some of the A18 changes. :)

For instance, in A16, I set up a rotation of forges with large excesses of clay in each, along with just enough iron to craft anvils. I would rotate between each forge just as the anvil finished crafting so that I could get the exp while simultaneously smelting the anvils back into the forges.

Ah, but as long as you kept the output slots full, you did not have to stick to the timing. The forges would wait for you to open them.

It is an interesting and different feel but A18 does fix a lot of the issues I had with feeling like all xp was coming from zombies. It really does feel much more spread across different activities in vanilla. A18 breaks my mod pretty badly in a few areas so I'll be leaving it as an A17 only mod until I can wrap my head around some of the A18 changes. :)

Hm, so the only areas of your mod you do are the xmls, so you're saying a18 changes xmls that your mod specifically targets, which if I recall is quests, buffs and progression, and prime has already said quests didn't get a lot of loving in 18 so that means buffs and progression are your headaches, and since buffs can't have changed in a meaningful way that would break your mod, that narrows your headache down to progression, which we already know has changed with the new builds and trees, so that just leaves... Ziplines. Ziplines are in a18 and you have to wrap your head around it.

:D :D Your one of my favorite guys here, I don't know why. Maybe its the cute icon I can't get mad at you for some reason lol.

That's the plan, be cute until everyone loves you, then if I turn into a zombie some day, you won't kill me...you know...easy food!

Omg....I never considered this use case. Junk turrets will help prevent ever getting sneaked on by a wandering horde of wolves when gathering/mining. Yesssssssssssss!

You know those loot rooms in the back of the small crack a book? Every time I go in there to bust the crates somehow a zombie follows me in, so I put one facing the doorway and they watch my back while I crack safes and bust open crates. Its awesome, just a small foreshadow of how cool an npc follower could be (Hoping)

I just looked at the steam reviews and there's a staggering amount of people who negatively reviewed the game only because of the now removed LBD system. I don't understand, I get that people might not want to kill zombies for xp all the time--but isn't that the whole point of this game at the end of the day? No one seems to give the perk system further analysis than "now i kill zombie to learn to cook grrr"

Maybe my bias is showing because I much prefer perks and skill trees to grinding away, but I seriously don't get it. Maybe A17's perks were just that poorly implemented? I am going to be flabbergasted if there are still a significant portion complaining about no LBD on A18's released.

Side note, there's a debate on the 7DTD forums about the LBD system, everyone's calling the perk system grindy... Right after giving anecdotes about how they sprinted around in their base and hit stuff for no reason to level up their skills in A16... What???

The way I see it if they do so what. They like Morrowind, we're dropping Skyrim in a couple of days and for every guy who hates it 1000 will love it.

Death Penalty

+ Removed Near Death Buff

+ Upon death you will lose xp equal to 25% of what you need to reach the next level.

+ If you lose more xp than you have the xp bar will change from blue to red to mark the deficit

+ You do not lose any levels or abilities but must earn back the deficit and all the xp needed to advance to the next level.

Whoa whoa whoa... You want to add the OPTION to lose experience on death? Fine. You want to add the OPTION to not have the Near Death Buff. Fine.

(Edit: Clearly I mean game settings for a server, not every time you die)

But could you please give us the option? I really like the Death Buff, and am kinda Meh about losing experience on death.

Hm, so the only areas of your mod you do are the xmls, so you're saying a18 changes xmls that your mod specifically targets, which if I recall is quests, buffs and progression, and prime has already said quests didn't get a lot of loving in 18 so that means buffs and progression are your headaches, and since buffs can't have changed in a meaningful way that would break your mod, that narrows your headache down to progression, which we already know has changed with the new builds and trees, so that just leaves... Ziplines. Ziplines are in a18 and you have to wrap your head around it.

The new death penalty messes with it. It might be just a visual thing when you die and see your xp bar go all red but it may also have an effect. Daily leveling stopped. Also the way the opening quest has been changed messed up the initial earning of skillpoints. I looked at it briefly but with builds changing daily and Madmole wanting feedback about vanilla A18 I haven't done anything to make changes and probably won't until experimental is done.

You know those loot rooms in the back of the small crack a book? Every time I go in there to bust the crates somehow a zombie follows me in, so I put one facing the doorway and they watch my back while I crack safes and bust open crates. Its awesome, just a small foreshadow of how cool an npc follower could be (Hoping)

npc's possibly confirmed?

Whoa whoa whoa... You want to add the OPTION to lose experience on death? Fine. You want to add the OPTION to not have the Near Death Buff. Fine.

But could you please give us the option? I really like the Death Buff, and am kinda Meh about losing experience on death.

This forum has been there, done that conversation. The devs vision is: you survive and have fun while playing. A lot of people play for 1,2 hours a day. A Death penalty that literally blocks cool perk stuff for 30 mins is not fun but demeaning and prone to soon be followed by yet another death.

Current a18 system: You died? ok. You lose experience and you can regain it, but you will never lose a level nor perks.

That way sucks, as every death should, but it gives players the means to be themselves and don't screw up in a cycle.

I like the a17 death penalty icon though. It's very cool.

The new death penalty messes with it. It might be just a visual thing when you die and see your xp bar go all red but it may also have an effect. Daily leveling stopped. Also the way the opening quest has been changed messed up the initial earning of skillpoints. I looked at it briefly but with builds changing daily and Madmole wanting feedback about vanilla A18 I haven't done anything to make changes and probably won't until experimental is done.

@ROLAND what's your view on the new death debuff? I think it's a step in the right direction for sure

Really happy to read this! This game is getting better and better with any update, if you keep knocking this way you will get out the best game in the f**king world man! Anyway, are you going to rec some other looting like your last video? Is really cool to see you looting the POI.

LOL. I don't know. Depend if we do a small

@MadMole:

I'm guessing the events spawning would be easier to complete quicker than bandits. If I had to choose, I'd prefer to see the events groundwork done first. (I know its a "whoever has whatever on their plate" thing.)

Events groundwork though would give us outdoor and possibly night specific spawns, and that would give us significant gameplay difference keeping us content until the next longer exp drop.

If events are documented well enough, modders would probably have a field day with it as well.

As far as events, are you hoping to have poi specific triggers, or even quest specific triggers? (Like, say, a simple fetch quest in a military poi that triggers a platoon of military zombies in the yard so you see them when you come out, and have to fight your way out.)

Events could be a huge game changer, like stealth and sleepers were.

but i like 7dtd graphics and i love the games physics but the water isnt as good as on land. but i have my small problems (very small)

1: zombies that look the same and walk the same way. (its just a pet peeve)

2: cooking with water jars like with soup (its just a bit odd that if you cook boiled meat and your glass jar just disrepair lol)

3: water physics ( just needs some fixes nothing to crazy)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also your a late bloomer? i got the game like 4 weeks ago XD

I think they will get the water polished up here soon. currently there isn't much water on many worlds as i often find myself getting my water from a swimming pool, Yummy! I don't mind the zombie walking its slightly different but i can see how others would say its the same. the game is about surviving and killing off Zs to maintain your char's life. I think its fine. I love the direction this game is going I can't wait to see what is beyond A18 but not before I play it first of course :)

Losing xp on death is the only real tangible penalty to motivate not to die. That and freaking out your stuff was dropped. Temporary debuffs are just an annoyance

I really agree with the losing xp part really encourages you to die less but people playing pvp will probs complain but im sure they can configure that through the xml files

For the "outdoor zombie spawn event system", or however the mechanic is called, I would be happy if the game keeps track of the groups to spawn in a meta way. Such that when revisiting an area, the same group of zombies would spawn, if not killed.

It would feel much less artificially spawned, if those groups have some degree of persistence.

A record in memory is way cheaper than actual instances of NPCs.

Those "virtual" groups can then also slowly traverse the map in a random direction (re-spawning at those positions when close by).

Sending those records (group-type, position, direction, state) in list over the network would also be quite compact.

In the end, it would make the world more believable than pure random spawns. ("I saw a horde on the south side of the map, lets see if its still there, or moved on")

... better than "ok, the game decided to spawn in a horde randomly here, lets avoid it, it will vanish when I come back"

Yep, realism fails in most design debates.

@Madmole

By the way, I put a lot more thought in to one of our conversations we had.

I said I would get back to you if I ever come up with a good counter arguement. Well after hours of sitting here looking at your response, realism trumps fun, for hours and giving it a lot of thought. I have finally come up with one. Although I would not consider it a counter arguement instead, more of a description of that which is to come. This understanding will result in your original assertion, which still holds strong and hole proof, no longer being relevant. This opens the imagination up to think of all the untapped possibilities.

I don't want to state it publically because.. ...possibility of profit, truth be told...

If you ever end up having 5 minutes free one day hit me up, I'm interested in hearing what you think of my rebuttal.

The scenario and discription I finally came up with I think will impress you, that is unless you have a counter arguement that pokes holes in it again lol. If thats the case then I would only need 2 minutes of your time lol.

Private Message: https://7daystodie.com/forums/member.php?160813-ZombieSurvivor

Discord: ..ZombieSurvivor..#1423

The issue was that you could in the past, craft 1000 stone axes and then buy perks that would open up making concrete.

It was incorrectly labeled "level by doing", and although the REAL issue (being able to buy perks to make concrete because you spammed stone axes) was never really addressed, they found it easier to scrap "lbd" entirely.

...which is why a lot of us poke fun that they'd rather remove a system than fix it.

The irony is that now it's "kill 1000 zombies and unlock concrete". :).

/History lesson

oh Christ this argument is back...... FFS.......

A18 is almost upon us!! MM said LBD is deader than the Zombies in the game yet it keeps coming up....

So, there are 2 different shotgun shells?

What about the slugs?

Still in but crafted with polymer not paper. Breachers can blow through wood and drywall walls, so they are amazing for a quick escape in tight quarters, or just killing something in the other room lol.

Pokket for Trader Jen! Pokket for Trader Jen! Pokket for Trader Jen!!!

Being able to speak to the public is one thing, voice acting is a completely different animal to tame. Caitlyn Glass did a bunch of VO we just need to book another session with her, she is amazing.

Archived