Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

What about bench press?

Bench press is overrated and nearly useless for developing chest mass because the fibers run sideways, so pressing movements don't use a whole lot of your chest muscles, more triceps and shoulders. Flies are the best for chest.

My bench sucks (I have fairly long arms 76" reach) the best I've done is 240x10 which equates to 320 1 rep max. I've had elbow and shoulder injuries so currently I'm only benching 210x10.

I can seated dip 325x10 though, triceps are strong af.

Bench press is overrated and nearly useless for developing chest mass because the fibers run sideways, so pressing movements don't use a whole lot of your chest muscles, more triceps and shoulders. Flies are the best for chest.

My bench sucks (I have fairly long arms 76" reach) the best I've done is 240x10 which equates to 320 1 rep max. I've had elbow and shoulder injuries so currently I'm only benching 210x10.

I can seated dip 325x10 though, triceps are strong af.

280 1 rep, I feel like I will never hit 300.

Well... poop. I guess that's to be expected when playing the 50 page ketchup game on only a couple hours of sleep.

BTW, I think the plastic + acid = tires recipe is strange too... but then again I only have a chemistry degree, so I'm not qualified to comment. :p

*skips away*

-A

You mean polymer + acid. And there are more types of polymers than just plastic.

3056 hours here, I didn't like a17 too much so almost all of my time in a17 was in a heavily modded game (Darkness Falls), it brought back some of the a16 systems like learn by doing and such, yes I know its not coming back officially.

A18 however looks like its going to fix a ton of the problems I had with a17, though I am not a fan of diff stats controlling different weapons. Then again the Ak47 is pretty much the best all rounder. Any chance the SMG will get a damage buff? as its pretty silly it has lower damage than the pistol, especially now that there is full auto mods that can be used in said pistol, makes the smg almost obsolete if it does not get buffed IMO.

All damages have been rebalanced.

Talking about traps, have you considered a deployable trap that you can use to slow down enemies while running from them, [...] immobilizing it for 1-2 seconds buying you time for a headshot.

Barbed wire/barbed wire fence does it for me, especially in doorways.

@Roland

I have heard that said over the years. Hell when I first discovered this forum many many years ago my first impression of MM was damn this dude needs a PR rep lol. Once I seen how much he interacts with the community and that his interactions do not have a negative impact on sales, I was like huh I hope he never hires a PR guy. Anyone that knows Madmole a little knows he can be rough around the edges and thats not necessarily a bad thing. He can also be hard headed at times, although it may appear at times that MM is flat out rejecting something. When in fact if what is being said has some value or merit to it, MM will think about it later and ask others opinions on the subject matter and do the proper research if needed.

The sad part is, MM is not like most other developers in regards to his level of interaction with the players and his approach to being as open as he can with the on going development of the game, and many do not see this.

I think a lot of people do not see nor understand that he opened a window for all his players, wether it be a casual that plays 1-2 hours a week, dedicated or hardcore players that have racked up thousands of hours on 7 Days To Die to be a part of the development. What I mean by that is, anyone can jump on this forum and throw an idea at MM or give an opinion and it could have an impact on the game. That to me is special.

The funny thing is all the people the hate on and publicaly trash talk MM for his honest, direct and firm way of interacting know not what they are doing. There will come a day when either, one Madmole gets burnt out from keeping that window open for players to easily contact him. Or Two, God willing, his company The Fun Pimps grows to be a multi-billion dollar company that puts out tons of AAA titles and all his time will be taken up by running the company and it simply just will not be possible for him to interact with the community on the level that he does now. When that day comes and MM is no longer easily accessible by the players, the people who gave MM ♥♥♥♥ or bad mouth him or wished he would get a PR rep will be the first to miss him.

As the old saying goes, you don't know what you have until you no longer have it. :) I was not going to post on this section of the forums anymore, I prefer just reading it, but once I seen your comment I had to give my thoughts lol. *goes back to lurkin*

EDIT: Side note, from the time I first started reading this forum until now, MM has improved a lot in the area of public interaction. How he was 5 years ago, when I first spoke with him, compared to how he is now in 2019 is is IMO drastically better, that shows me he is growing in wisdom and knowledge. He remind me of a young Joe Rogan. I do not doubt he will master that art of charisma.

"Charisma is a sparkle in people that money can't buy. It's an invisible energy with visible effects."

-Marianne Williamson

Thanks bro. Make sure to post a review next week after you get some hands on.

Will madmole, gazz or any of the other fun pimps be in any of the streams during streamer weekend? I'll be in Kage's streams myself

I might crash Pokkets stream. I'll bring some 100 pound db's and curl them to keep my pump going. Honestly I might just sit here and watch different people all night.

yeah hope one day they update the water/water physics cuz to be honest (no offence fun pimps) but it kinda crappy

but its not that important

No offense here, but in all seriousness i think people are spoiled by 2019 graphics and physics in their video games. When i started 7D2D I noticed the graphics were mediocre at best and the water physics are wonky at best as well. This never turned me away from the game as the game itself, fighting off Z's and being able to build a structure without limitation in a world where everything is truly destructible/editable was what hooked me. The constant fight to stay alive and by not doing the small things could end you is immersive and keeps me engaged. Throughout the few years i been playing (since A16, I know a late bloomer) I have never even thought about the graphics, physics, and animations. I was too immersed in the game having a great time! in total the 1100+ hours of play time i have put into the game I have met some new online friends, seen this game grow and above all the graphics and animations have had a HUGE upgrade to them. this game looks great for what TFP are trying to accomplish. I am all about adding more things into the proverbial Sandbox to further keep me immersed and interested. A18 seems to take a huge leap in both immersion and "carrot on a stick" part while continuing to further update the graphics! This with the RWG changes and all the new POIs and holy heck i'll probably put at least at a minimum 1000 hours into A18 alone. to think that $25 will bring me over 2000 hours of joy and fun is mind blowing to me. you guys should charge more!

I hope you focus on this and leave the water physics alone trust me, that's a thing people won't care about too much. it's a thing, but imo its not that big of a thing. Great work TFP and I can't wait to get my hands on the update!!!

Sometimes I wonder why MM lets some things go on for a while...

1. I've been lurkin for several years and read EVERY SINGLE POST in Dev Diaries (and bug reports and mods and...) since A14, and something you notice after a while is that certain ideas/suggestions/etc get replayed quite a bit. And yet, MM almost always gives multiple notices for orseyness.

1b: You also learn to spot those who don't read every post and just start responding to the last couple they see when they log in or in real time...

2. You can't miss how many people suggest things without trying to think about things from 'outside the box'. Something I try to do is assume the 'other side' and start thinking about reasons that might justify that. (Reality/Immersion vs game design/broad appeal...)

3. It's amazing how many people push buttons (and continually act as if their voice is the only voice) and eventually say "I am just passionate for the game". Even if MM was as 'brusk' as some might suggest, wouldn't he be allowed the same defense?

Even more so because it's HIS (TFP's) game?

4. Who cares why MM says to stop discussing something? (Design, playability, insight, yadda) He is one of the 3 originals and represent the true owners of the game. I could care less if he knows more about anything in the game or design or anything than I do. If he (or any TFP person) were to suggest that I change my thinking or ways for any reason, I am going to show I can adapt and try do so.

And I only have 7000+ hours in this 'silly ass' game. ; - )

This message has been approved by the TFP broadcasting network. Copying, pasting are expressly encouraged and permitted.

yeah hope one day they update the water/water physics cuz to be honest (no offence fun pimps) but it kinda crappy

but its not that important

Its about the only thing left that guy did, everything else has been redone. Water will get redone at some point.

I might crash Pokkets stream. I'll bring some 100 pound db's and curl them to keep my pump going. Honestly I might just sit here and watch different people all night.

ill just be waiting for A18 to come out

and when it doses ill go hide in some cave so no one will find me

while destroying zeds , and building

and ill have my precious spam LOL

280 1 rep, I feel like I will never hit 300.

Try slow negatives. It takes a good strong spotter (or two or even 3 for this). Use a weight you can't even handle much, like 250 or even 300. Help them press it up as much as you can but clearly they are lifting the weight. Then lower it as slow and as controlled as you can, take at least 2 seconds to lower the weight. You will get used to handling this heavier weight and a lot of strength is actually built in the negatives if you perform them slow and controlled. This trick can help you gain a lot of strength.

<snip>

Ok this is my last public response here, hopefully lol.

I'm impressed by the wisdom you've shown in your response. The statement that you just made shocked me *shocked*. I *salute* you, its very rare that one sees this kind of well articulated response on the internet these days. I have really injoyed reading about your thoughts, opinions and ideas on verious subject matters that you have posted along with a few others in this section of the forums who also has shared.

Bravo for reading every single post my dude, that is not easy. I've been doing it for what, last 2 months or so I have been active and its not easy. I find myself having to every day make an effort not to just explode at some of the stupid, idiotic, unfounded and combative posts I see =).

This is why I prefer "lurkin" on the forums.

Not including the bug reporting threads, i'll always post there when needed, that are created with every update. Just reading posts is a lot easier than being part of the talk and exercising self restraint. #Lurkin' #ForumStealthMode

7000 hours damn, I'm only at maybe 3000. Did not actually start devoting 80-100 hours a week playing until about A15. The game is still kinda feels new for me since I had a late start. I agree with your entire post, it was perfectly stated. *fist bump*

I wonder if the majority of those who are knowledgeable and speak with wisdom, we know who they are, here on this forum all have thousands of hours clocked. *strokes beard while thinking*

EDIT: It would be fascinating to see the results of a statistical analsis of the question I posed. I can think of a few plausable ways this study could be carried out in order to obtain the most accurate answer. The only Down side I see is the information needed to be obtained for this would be extremely difficult, if not right out illigal there for impossible, to get. Unless of course you are one of the companies that already legally posses it. hmmm...

*dips out for good now* lol

You mean polymer + acid. And there are more types of polymers than just plastic.

Yes polymer is a very generic material, we spent hours deciding on the proper words so we an abstract as many recipes as we can from it. People who keep asking about paper, the better shells are now crafted from polymers.

I've seen you around enough and was going to ask how did you miss 'full orsey mode'? ; - )

:D

Roland is adept at "Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!", so I gotta get my "digs" in when I can, dear friend!

-A

If the reference doesn't make sense, do a youtube search on the quote. It's SFW. :)

[…]I have never even thought about the graphics, physics, and animations. I was too immersed in the game having a great time![…]

Usually this, but, it has to be said, A17 made the world gorgeous, Navezgane rewards exploration with just drop-dead beautiful terrain. I'll sometimes just tramp around the countryside nice and slow, enjoying it.

He did comment, then he commented again, and again and I had enough. Saying the same bad argument over and over doesn't turn it into a good argument. So stop peasant, you don't know what you are talking about and I've had enough. This is my castle and there will be order in the court. I listened, I gave my professional opinion as a courtesy so he can sharpen his own game design skills, and then got disrespected when he kept beating the dead hOrse. I like Guppy, he's a great guy who supports our game, but that doesn't make him right. Gating wheel crafting even further would be a bad design decision. The method we create them now is perfectly acceptable, and grounded in reality. I wanted more uses for Acid, and its used to make tires, so what is wrong with that? Beats making a new workstation that takes away from having a proper industrial forge down the road. Beats taking dev time away from making bandits.

Yeah yeah, I work with the dude, so I know more than most how he can be. Just ask him sometime about accounting and vehicle travel expenses as they relate to profit margin... :)

BTW my offer in your PM still stands. I want to talk lifting programs with you sometime...

-A

Try slow negatives. It takes a good strong spotter (or two or even 3 for this). Use a weight you can't even handle much, like 250 or even 300. Help them press it up as much as you can but clearly they are lifting the weight. Then lower it as slow and as controlled as you can, take at least 2 seconds to lower the weight. You will get used to handling this heavier weight and a lot of strength is actually built in the negatives if you perform them slow and controlled. This trick can help you gain a lot of strength.

Interesting I’ll give it a go, thx!!

The hostility and lots of snow flakes here.

Then again i'm in my late forties so rough around the edges people are what I grew up with.

I don't agree with everything but I still have faith where 7DTD is going and what I see form the A18 notes I like what I'm reading.

Also, it's a freaking tire, why spend time on how's it's made.

The beauty of the game is how moddable it is so you can make things deadly or complicated (healing a bite in true survival A16 comes to mind).

Mmm, did I? :)

Because pectin, wool, and DNA are polymers - but you wouldn't use them to make tires.

But yeah, I was using the old game verbage of "plastic" instead of "polymers" as a slip of the tongue - my bad.

-A

Archived