Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I make hatch bridges. works great, never thought of doing a staircase though, thats a damned good idea.

- - - Updated - - -

What kind of design are you picturing for a bridge made out of hatches?

One I can flip a switch when I get fort side and zeds cannot follow me on.

I gotta say I can't wait to have a base go up against the A18 bloodmoon horde. Especially one with Brawlers. The sooner I get a chance to see my defenses fail, the sooner I can update its design to make sure the following bloodmoon horde has no chance. Very curious to see how long it will take me to get the blade traps running.

Not long since there are no level gates and its only 3 ranks, int 6. With free 4 points at start you could get int 5 + nerd goggles unlock it at level 4 or 5 if you spec'd straight into it. But given you need parts, workbenches, forges and other things, realistically? Level 12-15 if you prioritize it. They aren't needed until about day 30+ then things start to get harder.

that is a lot of cleared flat ground

pity you dont have a drawbridge at the top of each to connect the 2

Ehh, you know SI. :/ I get to each tower through an underground tunnel.

And yep. Got over 20 stacks of clay soil from that.

But I COULD do that, maybe. Hmm...

15 block distance...

Nope, can't do it; it would be uneven. :/

How would nerfing it make it awesome? Realism has zero place in video games. What do you want a big slow timer to pull your spear out to feel like a proper caveman? We did something that is fun and accessible. Not sure what your after. Carrying 100 tons of stone isn't realistic either but its fun to build.

I know you said you wanted no balance discussion regarding spears before release, so I won't go into that; but mechanically balanced or not it also felt very gimmicky to me when I witnessed it and something I definitely won't do because it feels cheesy. One potential solution is to not be able to retrieve the spear unless the zombie's dead. Keeps the mechanic available but only as a finisher.

We're talking the 6th. Half the internet will have it by then anyway because streamers leak codes.

I don't really understand this. I mean, I have stakes in this given I won't have my childs on the upcoming week-end so i'd be more than happy to play it this week-end, but even if it wasn't the case, how's a monday release a good thing ? For a lot of us it just adds to the frustration, a long wait followed by a release at the beginning of a work week ? I understand it's easier for you to fix gamebreaking stuff when your team is available for the upcoming 5 days, but still...

I will stick to my guns that the encounter system will do everything its meant to, which is sell the player into feeling like the world is teaming with zombies, without spawning guys that just sit there and eat cpu waiting for a player to stumble across them and count against maxalive. Your method (our old method) is careless and wasteful, we're doing something elegant we can control, and keep people at 60fps at all times. ONce the player leaves it despawns and we can send someone else an encounter. We can do mini blood moons in the near future, wandering traders, bandit patrols, wandering hordes, a few zombies eating a corpse, a damsel in distress, all game staged for the person we plan it for.

I hope it will. As many have stated before, nothing feels more lackluster right now regarding zombies than the empty streets in the cities (immersion wise AND gameplay wise). There's really no reason at all not going to a big city on day 1 and building your base in the center of it. It kinda bugs me how you've been such a fierce advocate of slow progression yet never truly acknowledged how setting up in loot-land on the very first day is the best strat and the very opposite of "slow progression". It should be a bloody struggle to get even close to all that loot; in my opinion, the first 7 days of a playthrough should require cautious scavenging of isolated POIs in the outskirts, and only once you get stronger, you can decide to go for it and see how you fare.

And no, just because we have sleepers guarding every POI doesn't mean there's "more zombies" than previously. It only means you get annoyed once you select the POI you want to loot. Back in the days it was a struggle to simply make a proper trip around the city to see what's available to you. It wasn't perfect by any means but it felt a lot better and more rewarding than a running through a dead hub of independent POIs.

Ehh, you know SI. :/ I get to each tower through an underground tunnel.

And yep. Got over 20 stacks of clay soil from that.

But I COULD do that, maybe. Hmm...

15 block distance...

Nope, can't do it; it would be uneven. :/

nope, a 15 block trussing would reach, but you would have to figure a way to make it look gneiss

I know you said you wanted no balance discussion regarding spears before release, so I won't go into that; but mechanically balanced or not it also felt very gimmicky to me

The power attack is the stronger attack. Consistency is important.

That is an intentional cleanup process or the game will continue to use more memory over time. You would not want it running during combat, so it runs after about 20 mins when you open a UI screen.

I don't suppose the cleanup could go on another CPU thread, could it? Because I have to agree that it's actually very annoying. I've learned to live with it, but painfully so.

Or rather dedicate another core for the inventory processing.

Ehh I actually agree it's pretty goofy to throw spears point blank like that, even in the context of gameplay/balance. I think the spears should be encouraged to be used in hand when fighting melee, throwing spears point blank looks really awkward to me.

I agree. Without playing it mind you, yet. But just watching the throw spear, retrieving, throwing again so quickly just looks.....idk just looks weird to me.

@madmole You know that bug that was presented a few days ago where when a player (you? can't remember) activated a quest and it removed all the grass from around that POI? Well, that same thing just happened to me, in 17.4

e8FNIYf.jpg

Not sure if it is really a bug, When you enter quest, the POI is kinda remove and re laid, so it doesn't know status of previous item in it's area and hence it get new layout and new grass. I guess we can live with that small thing. Please don't make it MFs lol

99% of realism is removed intentionally to make games fun. Heck we took a lot of flack for being too realistic in 17, stamina was realistic (forgiving for most couch potatoes tbh), it was grindy mining (hello, have you ever dug a hole in the dirt?), being encumbered, etc. Realism is great for animation and graphic reference but in game play it fails every argument. Stuff needs to feel somewhat realistic but when it started blocking having fun you have to abstract something that IS fun and balanced around everything else in the game.

Realistically a wood fence would keep the zombies out for years. Not fun.

I agree. I love realism in my games. But only to a point. The way I see it realism is great but not at the expense of fun gameplay. If it makes the game less fun, cut it out. I mean honestly if you broke your leg, or even sprained it, in a survival situation alone your dead.

Archived