Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I take it you fight the horde from below the base and run up that hatch if things go sideways? If they get past your blade traps and past your bars, they would be under your base with little way to defend it. Overall I like your design and would like to have an attached draw bridge someday on one of my bases and able to drive in to unload my truck easily.

That is a pretty accurate description. We do, indeed, fight the horde from the basement. You are correct in noticing there isn't a fail-safe in place if the basement were to get breached. It has not happened yet which is due to certain blocks being upgraded to steel instead of the concrete used for most of the structure. You can see in the screenshot which specific blocks have been upgraded to steel since they were left unpainted. Those are the blocks the zombies target which is why extra materials go into them. They ignore all the other blocks completely.

Usually all the other players in our group focus on taking out any zombies that the blade traps don't get in time or the zombies that have had their legs removed and are managing to crawl just beneath the blades. I prioritize repairing any damaged blade traps I can reach from the basement and any of the steel walls that look like they may have taken significant damage. During the first few bloodmoons very little player intervention is needed. Those blade traps are extremely efficient. It helps that there are so many of them.

The bars, however, are actually meant for player safety rather than for holding back the zombies. If they weren't there and a player were to move right to the edge of the blade trap, the blade trap would be able to hit them. This way nobody has to worry about accidentally moving too close to the blade traps and can instead focus on putting down any zombie survivors or having an early celebratory beer. Safety first!

He's an epic tale for all of you to swallow today. The trader sent me to do a Tier 4 Fetch quest at the Joe Bro's Builders; it was day 18 and my gamestage was 160. Upon arrival, I was immediately greeted with an army of feral construction workers, which served as mere fodder for what was yet to come. As I made my way up the structure, more construction workers continued to harass me, all the meanwhile chipping at my health little by little; I was careless at first, but they earned my respect half-way up, and I pulled out my shotgun for the rest of the journey. My health supplies were not enough, so I had to chug down three meat stews. After reaching the crane and building a bridge across with wooden frames, pure nightmare fuel introduced themselves to the end of my barrel. Armed with nothing but a shotgun, I thought I had zero chance against three wights, two irradiated soldiers, an irradiated Arlene, two irradiated cowboys, a feral soldier, and a fat Hawaiian dude. I bobbed and weaved through the labyrinth of pipes and pillars, dodging all but the three last blows. I was bleeding, and down to 20 health. Zombies met me every which way, but I finally managed to temporarily escape my pursuers by taking a leap of faith onto the wood frames stretching the length of the crane. (When I had exploded the mine that was previously sitting on top of the crane, the entire middle section of it collapsed, leaving nothing but the yellow painted poles; I took no chances and built a bridge across.) Suddenly, a feral wight charged after me, bringing me down to 2 health; I had only just applied a first aid bandage! To my sheer disbelief, he leaped right over me and down the towering structure, and I was free to pick myself up and get back to a measly 40 health. I approached the remaining zombies cautiously, just out of their reach, some of which were trapped in the compartment of the crane (with the munitions box inside) and finished them all off with my shotgun. What a fight! I found the satchel at long last at the top of the Joe Bro's Builders, and I hastily retreated back to the trader. He offered me a level 5 Marksman Rifle for my troubles. Was it worth it? I'm still deciding.

That is a pretty accurate description. We do, indeed, fight the horde from the basement. You are correct in noticing there isn't a fail-safe in place if the basement were to get breached. It has not happened yet which is due to certain blocks being upgraded to steel instead of the concrete used for most of the structure. You can see in the screenshot which specific blocks have been upgraded to steel since they were left unpainted. Those are the blocks the zombies target which is why extra materials go into them. They ignore all the other blocks completely.

Usually all the other players in our group focus on taking out any zombies that the blade traps don't get in time or the zombies that have had their legs removed and are managing to crawl just beneath the blades. I prioritize repairing any damaged blade traps I can reach from the basement and any of the steel walls that look like they may have taken significant damage. During the first few bloodmoons very little player intervention is needed. Those blade traps are extremely efficient. It helps that there are so many of them.

The bars, however, are actually meant for player safety rather than for holding back the zombies. If they weren't there and a player were to move right to the edge of the blade trap, the blade trap would be able to hit them. This way nobody has to worry about accidentally moving too close to the blade traps and can instead focus on putting down any zombie survivors or having an early celebratory beer. Safety first!

"Zombie Survivors" ... oh the irony. 😅

I've crafted glass like once lol. Useless clutter unless your sim building a town or like a skylight and its cold af.

Just like in a lot of mmos aesthetics are the true end game. For mmos it’s about making your character look cool. For this game it’s about making your fort/base look nice. I think Joel underestimates how important that is in a sandbox game like 7dtd.

Just like in a lot of mmos aesthetics are the true end game. For mmos it’s about making your character look cool. For this game it’s about making your fort/base look nice. I think Joel underestimates how important that is in a sandbox game like 7dtd.

With the crop boxes, the chance of me using glass for the roof of a greenhouse is more likely than ever.

<snip>This way nobody has to worry about accidentally moving too close to the blade traps and can instead focus on putting down any zombie survivors or having an early celebratory beer. Safety first!

*looks up* huh...someone talking about putting me down?

hello....

*looks left, looks right*

ahhh no one would be crazy enough to try such a thing..

*looks back down*

Useless clutter but he leaves it in the game....I think that could be because he does know the importance of keeping builders happy. ;)

Are there any new blocks added?

Like maybe a square to pillar 50 or 100 transition?

Maybe an inside staircase corner?

3 meter archways?

5 meter archways?

Anything neat like that?

I don't think so. I think there are inside and outside stair corners already.

Awesome, just by the look of your fort I can tell you have a lot of fun. A18's ai might cause some hiccups, I don't think there is such a thing as a block they won't target now. It is a very nice design vultures can't even get close.

Has anyone made a hatch staircase or bridge? I was thinking of wiring one up with a switch so when I get to my base I can throw the lever and zeds won't be able to follow me.

I make hatch bridges. works great, never thought of doing a staircase though, thats a damned good idea.

- - - Updated - - -

What kind of design are you picturing for a bridge made out of hatches?

Awesome, just by the look of your fort I can tell you have a lot of fun. A18's ai might cause some hiccups, I don't think there is such a thing as a block they won't target now. It is a very nice design vultures can't even get close.

I gotta say I can't wait to have a base go up against the A18 bloodmoon horde. Especially one with Brawlers. The sooner I get a chance to see my defenses fail, the sooner I can update its design to make sure the following bloodmoon horde has no chance. Very curious to see how long it will take me to get the blade traps running.

I gotta say I can't wait to have a base go up against the A18 bloodmoon horde. Especially one with Brawlers. The sooner I get a chance to see my defenses fail, the sooner I can update its design to make sure the following bloodmoon horde has no chance. Very curious to see how long it will take me to get the blade traps running.

Are blade traps any good? I've never used them, ever.

Has anyone made a hatch staircase or bridge? I was thinking of wiring one up with a switch so when I get to my base I can throw the lever and zeds won't be able to follow me.

One of my very first tower bases had a hatch bridge. It was only two-blocks wide. That was back in A16. At the time the drawbridges seemed too big for my humble abode and the hatches worked flawlessly. Didn't use blade traps back then. Just a bottomless pit.

Are blade traps any good? I've never used them, ever.

Out off all the things I've tried, blade traps seem to work the best. They're not without their flaws though, which is why my setup required so many of them. If there are enough zombies the blade traps might not take them out before they break a wall. Especially if the wall isn't reinforced. Sometimes the blade traps will cut off the legs of a zombie. When that happens the blade trap might finished them off, or the zombie will belly crawl under the blades and will have to be put down manually. Personally I really love them since they don't require any ammo like the dart traps. Well, there is the gas, but they don't seem to use that much. Since I only flip the switches when I hear zombies in the pit or its a bloodmoon, a full tank of gas lasts for over a month. The setup I have requires four fully powered generators to run them though. Also there's definitely quite a high material requirement to get everything running initially.

I'm 99% sure its coming Friday the 4th to Streamers. The 9 MF's I see look like they could be known shippables, and I have one I can fix in 10 minutes.

Hey...I'm a streamer. I was streaming this afternoon in fact. I swear the world grew hills that didn't exist on the way out and thought I was going to roll the 4x4 and blow up on the way back to base.

....how do I make sure I'm in on the "...to Streamers"?

I like my windows. All though the windows are made out of wood. I did make a green out in one game so I know what you mean. I’ll love the planter blocks too.

I recently discovered the empty frame window block which would do wonders on a greenhouse design.

Edit: Here is an example of the frames put on top of bulletproof glass.

EY5bjzp.png

Archived