Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Madmole is it possible to have the books and schematics that you haven't read yet to glow so you don't read the same book twice and waste it.

LOL never mind I just noticed the small book icon on the image. Closed book for unread and open for already read sorry I missed that.

I just shredded a tier 4 with mostly my spear in that video. Granted I missed the basement I guess but tier 4's don't all take a long time.

I have cleared this POI several times. It always took me alway about 20-30 minutes to clear it and loot it. Granted I also wrenched a lot of things like the lamps in the bedroom or the computers downstairs which takes some time.

I also do close combat but many players prefer firearms. That's why I mentioned it.

I like fetch because you aren't tied there until X is killed, get the bag and get what you feel like getting, and get out.

I like the fetch quests for the same reason. But sometimes the trader only offers you clear quests or combined fetch / clear quests.

The reward isn't as nice, but sometimes finding that last volume of guys to kill is a pain in the ass.

Tell me about it. I spend often 10-15 minuten to kill that last vulture hovering around the building and flying from one side to the other.

@Madmole:

The commentary less video was interesting. We heard more of the game sound changes and liked that, but we DID miss your commentary about balancing/development observations. A balance of both types of videos might be a good idea going forward.

We also liked the new stun animation.. I'm not sure I saw or noticed it before.

Question: Did you do a spreadsheet to work out balancing all the various builds, or did you wing it? Doing a spreadsheet of them might help in balancing, if you aren't already.

So with the perception build, do you just ignore stealth options because you don't have them?

Also, it looked like ao is back on inside buildings.. was that fixed in a18?

Question about the spear: When you throw it and pick it back up, it looks like you're picking up more than one spear. Did you actually throw several spears before picking up, or is it just the popup mechanic stacking the pickups even if it was the same spear being picked up?

But we 85% want a crap ton more in the streets and wild. Just to be clear.

...it's just weird and repetitive to find a crapload of Zed's in pois, in the same hiding places (cupboards, rafters, repeat), and it's just not fun clearing out a poi.

Spend half the day just to get crap loot. I no longer even bother with large pois. Garages and broken smaller ones are so plentiful... Hopefully the duplicate poi removal in a18 will help with that.

crap then maybe I'm a little bit of the 85% because I would love more zombies in the streets as well. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I just went through a medium size POI, and shot a few obvious sleepers and was just cruising through, looting, no big deal. Then I jumped out of my pants as a Z in the next room woke up and went all ragey because I stumbled over a pile of trash. It's those moments I like. Going through a POI, and knowing there are tons and tons of Z's is boring. Having an empty stretch gives you a false feeling of security for when that one Z growl/screams/snarls, and starts trying to tear the house down to get to you.

Later was in one of the Red Barns. (RWG), not Navezgane. And a snow Z came in looking for me, I ignored him for a bit until he started hitting on metal. Metal? wtf is he hitting. Duh, the car. The car that is 3 blocks away from me. I frantically starting shooting him with my bow as I had not fully cleared the barn yet and didn't have a silencer on my gun yet. I finally kill him, and decide the risk of removing the car outweighs the potential damage a raging Z can do, and go to wrench the car down. Only to find that it has 1, yes 1 hp left.

Less is more? Maybe.

that is an awsome story. 1 HP huh you lucky bastard, lol. Darn those car hating zombies! =)

- - - Updated - - -

From my understanding, this has already been addressed.

The sleepers in some POIs were reduced and a whole slew of non-dungeon remnant POIs were added with little to no zombies.

I'm sure this doesn't mean that some POIs will still be loaded, but I'm sure that's fine and I think there should be some.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. damn I should have told my brother that, he would love to hear this news.

@Madmole

I have a brother that lives in another state. We used to only chat on the phone every 2 or 3 months which was fine.

Then I convinced my brother about 2-3 years ago to buy 7D2D, ever since he got it we have bonded and became closer over the hundreds and hundreds of hours we have played together. Thank you for giving my brother and I something to bond over that has been lasting for years. :02.47-tranquillity:

Madmole

Just watched your video of the loot run and it is really starting to look great.

But some things I noticed:

- I see there still sometimes is a delay of almost a second or more when opening loot or inventory, I see this in A17 as well where it is worse. Any chance this is a known issue and getting looked at?

- Why is the glass panel still in the loot lists, it should have been removed from there like in A14 or so, but it lingers on even to A18..

- You should instruct your level designers not to paint cabinets unless they are actually lootable or broken cabinet panels with loot behind them (yes I could hear the frustration on your keyboard :)) Saves a lot of frustration when something that looks lootable actually is.

Thanks for the video :)

- I see there still sometimes is a delay of almost a second or more when opening loot or inventory, I see this in A17 as well where it is worse. Any chance this is a known issue and getting looked at?

That is an intentional cleanup process or the game will continue to use more memory over time. You would not want it running during combat, so it runs after about 20 mins when you open a UI screen.

question for everyone

do you rather build your own base? or move into a poi and upgrade it?

When playing with friends I have no choice but to live in an underground base. Normally I create my own base. A17 I switched up how I play and I only took over POI instead of building a fresh base. I prefer taking over large POIs and fortifing it now. How about you?

When playing with friends I have no choice but to live in an underground base. Normally I create my own base. A17 I switched up how I play and I only took over POI instead of building a fresh base. I prefer taking over large POIs and fortifing it now. How about you?

i mix it up

mostly i live in a poi and Reinforce it and may add some new rooms, and a bunker for storage.

live under ground by more "risky" making a entrance zombie zombies for me to fight kinda like a lobby area and add some traps

or make my own base. with a castle like walls out of scrap or rock

@MM, do you fix this wrong spawn zombie in this place (house_old_bungalow_06)?

how-you-do-this.jpg

This moment on my stream record here:

No. There is no simple code fix for that. Spawn points do not have a history of you saw inside it a moment ago, so I can't spawn there now, nor do they check when you are outside a sleeper volume. Spawn visibility checks are not cheap, so they are done over time and only when you get near a sleeper volume. Possibly when you damage inside the volume it could spawn. Designers could move up the top of the volume or maybe group it with the up stairs, but sometimes that leads of other behaviors they don't want.

Archived