Game needs a respec recipe, badly

Kage848

I decided early on that I wanted the Area of Effect power attack of the sledgehammer, and with it swinging so slow and the chance of missing making that an even bigger issue, I went with heavy armor (steel) from the beginning. Now, later into the game (level 200+) I can face any number of zombies as long as they are attacking from my front. Drink some coffee, then some beer, drop one or two barbed wire fences, and I can power attack them over and over, pretty much keep them from rushing forward and swarming me. Maxed out the skills that would let me do the most damage with sledge.

In the event that they do start beating my ass, I wear Steel armor with steel mods, put points into Heavy Armor, Pain Mitigation (is that the right name?), Healing Factor, everything that lessens damage. I can tank a hell of a lot of damage before I need to retreat, which isn't often. If things get bad enough, I can whip out the ol' AK47 fully modded (extended magazine mod is a must) and blast myself some breathing room.

I wasn't sure that I was making the right choices with my points at first, but now I can't say I wasted any when it comes to combat and defense. I'm now thinking about using Military Gloves with the Spiked Knuckles mod, some coffee, beer, painkillers, vitamins, Sham Chowder, Steroids, and Grandpa's Moonshine to just beat the ever-living-hell out of some zombies with my fists. Stack the buffs, and go pick a fight, lol.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I wouldn't mind a way to respec your perks and skills, as long as it didn't affect the max you can get. Let's say if you respec, the more you do, the more levels it removes from your player as well. That way, you can still level up and max out your character without it leaving you with less to work with if you were to max out your levels over and over.

On that note is there a way to do this in dm mode?

buff buffme

gets you lvl 5 in everything

buff nerfme

level 0. (for crosschecking)

debuff at will.

If you need more specific combinations of buffs you need to write your own or change the 2 existing ones.

I'm not asking for free respects. Make it costly. That way we have to earn it. It gets us out and looting and gives us something to loot for. You make it sound like I'm asking for free respecs.

We both know that there is a point where resources become irrelevant. ;)

buff buffme

gets you lvl 5 in everything

buff nerfme

level 0. (for crosschecking)

debuff at will.

If you need more specific combinations of buffs you need to write your own or change the 2 existing ones.

We both know that there is a point where resources become irrelevant. ;)

Hmmm. True. Even beakers. Ok fine. 1 free respec. Deal? 😀

Kage, I love you man (I think you know this), and initially I actually agreed with you ... and then I thought about it: hold on, I would be able to spec into the vehicle tree, build the vehicles, then respec and dump those points into something else: got the vehicles, don't need the points anymore. I suspect that there couldbe other areas for potential exploit.

So, yeah, I tend to agree that some form of "damn it I didn't want to put my points there!" option would be nice, but I think there's the possibility for exploitation.

BTW, not to rub it in, but I use a hammer and fully specced it's so gnarly, esp. for crowd control. *BUT* I'm in a two player game where speed is less critical. I would stick with your club: speed in single player is king and the crowd control with the hammer doesn't proc often enough to switch completely.

Oh, and you're the one that got me into the hammer int he first place, lol.

Kage, I love you man (I think you know this), and initially I actually agreed with you ... and then I thought about it: hold on, I would be able to spec into the vehicle tree, build the vehicles, then respec and dump those points into something else: got the vehicles, don't need the points anymore. I suspect that there couldbe other areas for potential exploit.

So, yeah, I tend to agree that some form of "damn it I didn't want to put my points there!" option would be nice, but I think there's the possibility for exploitation.

BTW, not to rub it in, but I use a hammer and fully specced it's so gnarly, esp. for crowd control. *BUT* I'm in a two player game where speed is less critical. I would stick with your club: speed in single player is king and the crowd control with the hammer doesn't proc often enough to switch completely.

Oh, and you're the one that got me into the hammer int he first place, lol.

Was waiting for this argument. Your right. Would have to me specific to the the trees that aren't int lol. Great point.

They certainly don't agree with players. My problem is their knowitallism... perhaps I'm just jaded. For me A17 is simply unplayable, some disagree but it appears many agree. I'm curious for your opinion on the current state of the game, specifically the tediousness (If you perceive there to be any). Though, considering your connection to TFP and your financial reliance on this game, you probably don't want to give any negative feedback.

For me A17 is simply quite enjoyable, some disagree but it appears many agree. And for the record I have 0 connection nor financial reliance on this game.

One must remember the terms "some" and "many" are quite subjective terms. While neither of our statements are factually incorrect any attempt to quantify satisfaction or lack there of this alspa with subjective terms nor a number of total people we are referencing to, makes the argument futile.

- - - Updated - - -

Was waiting for this argument. Your right. Would have to me specific to the the trees that aren't int lol. Great point.

Maybe a way to prevent as much exploiting would be to "level gate" the ability to redistribute a limited amount of points (along with your difficult to find recipes components) I know level gating is not always popular but maybe for something like this there would be less pushback?

Committing to choices is a big deal for making them meaningful. Being on the fence eternally is just meh.

I know that committing to a choice is a horrible thing to contemplate for a completionist type player so there is no easy answer. ;)

Though if it's as Kage asked for, making it a challenging recipe, to obtain, would kind of kill the fence issue.

Personally, I think TFP needs some loot specific POI's that people go hunt for. Like a Research Facility, where it's the only place with a container that houses a Respec Book. And... It's hell to fight through it. You'll either learn to love your build, or grind your way through and prove you needed that book.

Add to that a quest from the Traders to "Hunt down the research facility". Have it work like the Treasure Hunting map, but with a, i dunno, 500 meter area.

The solution I've always believed in is to give a random chance on a level-up for a random skill to be "sold", that is, your attribute/perk level goes down, but you get the skill point back and can choose to spend it however you like. This allows for players to slowly respec into other categories if they don't like their build, but it doesn't increase the rate at which they get more powerful.

No.

Levels are not so rare that respec makes any sense - particularly when you are able to max everything. If we could not max everything (and I really do not want to see the game go in that direction) then a respec would make a certain amount of sense.

If you are looking for the absolute best solution then... don't. There is not one. Yes, hammer has issues if you miss - that is the trade off for using it - but the club will never be as useful as hammer against groups. BOTH are viable combat methods. Leveling is rather fast throughout the game - post level 100 I am still receiving 2 levels from a single night of mining.

- - - Updated - - -

I would point out that build is currently the ONLY thing that makes one game unique from then other, IOW, the game plays quite differently if you spec a ranged combat, melee or an int build with buffs. Respec would take 100% of that variety away.

I would point out that build is currently the ONLY thing that makes one game unique from then other, IOW, the game plays quite differently if you spec a ranged combat, melee or an int build with buffs. Respec would take 100% of that variety away.

But throughout that playthrough, you'd have more variety, so it cancels out. That being said, I wouldn't have much of a problem with the game if it did actually do something to make each playthrough unique, like making certain items rarer/more common each time.

Been trying to decide sledge hammer or club. I started off with sledge hammer but the slow attacks are killing me, literally lol.

So people telling me hammer sucks use club. So I switched. Now people telling me you needed 50 points in perks and the hammer is awesome. Great. Well dont want to just take people's word for it because if the weapon perks are not that good it could ruin my playthrough.

Now im an adult with a wife and 2 jobs. I dont have endless time to just "start over" or have a second game to try out stuff. My game time is very limited.

How about a recipe to respec. Make it rare, like you need a beaker or like 24 acid or something. Just give me something so I can try stuff and not ruin my game.

Also, you know how people are always looking for a reason to go out and loot? This would help a ton!

Yes and no. Yes I think players should be able to do respecs but ONLY in the experimental branch. The experimental branch is constantly changing so there is no reason not to be able to try different specs for additional testing.

However, in other branches then no, respecs should NOT be allowed. Choices should have consequences. You chose this path then you have to live with it...for better or worse.

If you allow respec too often then people will follow 'flavor of the month' and the game will become easier. Eg. This month clubs are OP but if next month changes to hammers make them OP then they'll switch. Of course this issue is more prevalent in MMOs than games like 7D2D.

No what the game desperately need is a MUCH smoother leveling up experience.

I've said it in the past I'll say it again: The experience needed to hit the next level grows TOO fast. Either decrease the experience growth factor or make the experience grow linearly.

Or you could do the following which I would personally love:

Add a wellness buff which adds experience percentage/points for every day you live with a nice message

"DAY 50 SURVIVED. 5000 SKILLPOINTS BECAUSE YOU'RE BADASS".

Personally I love the sledge of dread, but that is because I went full melee. I maxed out strength and got all the perks for sex rex, sledge perk and skull crusher. Also went max fortitude after i got some intelligence perks and got pain tolerance and healing factor perks..oh I also dumped a point into master chef.

I didn't bother with intelligence till about level 45 and that was only to unlock the mini bike aside from the early point for master chef so I won't starve to death. This is using the current build of 17.2

Personally i don't feel we should get a respec since it can and will be abused. We have creative modes to test stuff out. Also if things change during an alpha and perks change then world's should be restarted. Leveling isn't difficult now especially with that boost towards experience we can set in the gameplay options.

I disagree with full re-specs. It takes away the "do I buy this now for short term gain or save the points" decision.

But what I would really love is an "undo" button for those times when you're browsing skills and accidentally press the hotkey to buy one.

I agree with both points. You should set your points and then confirm to officially set them.

Regarding respec, the ability to unlearn what you have learned or unskill yourself is actually game-breaking for PVP servers.

Now people will say, well then, give us the choice whether or not we are allowed to respec... which is fine, I suppose, but is it really necessary? Can't you just start a new game? I don't buy the whole "I don't have enough time" baloney. If you have enough time to play games at all, you have enough time.

Respeccing would be abused . Once you build all the one-of's (vehicles/stations/guns/armour) you'd remove all those wasted points from Intellect.

btw for gamestage 600, high difficulty....club. You often can't melee in those circumstances anyway, so it's a last resort if you fluff you gunplay, and Sledge = dead. Also the absolute worst enemy group to meet late on is multiple irradiated Spiders. They bounce all over closed spaces so you cannot focus your damage to kill efficiently (you lose track of who is who). Sledge is far too slow against them.

In my experience anyway. And I was a dedicated Sledge user in every single alpha till this one.

Footnote: if playing co-op....whole different ball game... Sledge. At least one person should Sledge and be fully specced in the 2 perks that buff it.

Also the absolute worst enemy group to meet late on is multiple irradiated Spiders. They bounce all over closed spaces so you cannot focus your damage to kill efficiently (you lose track of who is who). Sledge is far too slow against them.

I got a tip for you. If there is a door at the entrance that you can close then pull out of the room and close the door. Then put a wooden frame in front of the door and upgrade it. When that's done you can open the door again. The spiders can't do anything on the narrow space in a door frame and you can knock them down. The wooden block usually lasts long enough to cope with several spiders. Also to a higher difficulty setting. If in doubt, simply upgrade twice.

Honesly considering over half of the perks are worthless, you should have more than enough points I feel. The only diff really is how smooth your early game goes. I do wish stats did more, like I rarely invest in Agi as I don't see much use for it, only skill I even get in agi is the sneak attack one and level 1 of it is all I need. The rest of the perks I don't really bother with. Fortitude, I get the healing over time one and maybe 1 level in the farming perk, but thats about it.

Honesly considering over half of the perks are worthless, you should have more than enough points I feel. The only diff really is how smooth your early game goes. I do wish stats did more, like I rarely invest in Agi as I don't see much use for it, only skill I even get in agi is the sneak attack one and level 1 of it is all I need. The rest of the perks I don't really bother with. Fortitude, I get the healing over time one and maybe 1 level in the farming perk, but thats about it.

I don't agree half the perks are useless, it's less than that but I do agree the distribution is bizarre. Like yourself, Agility and Fortitude trees I more or less avoid entirely. Perhaps a point in Cardio and Self Healing and that is it (till much much later). Perception is next most "useless" as almost everything there is a luxury. Salvage Operations is about the only one I touch early. Sadly the bottom line is that Intellect and Strength trees are both chock full of must-have perks. I am actually thankful they messed up the perks re-design like this, because having to spread over more than 2 trees would gimp a solo player even more in the early game!

Now im an adult with a wife and 2 jobs. I dont have endless time to just "start over" or have a second game to try out stuff. My game time is very limited.

LOL, I only realized after reading the post that it was kage speaking. Man, I have 1 job and a daughter and I wish I had half the time you do for videogames!! :p

Archived