My Thoughts After Playing Alpha 17. Yes I said Alpha 17!

Roland

I dunno. the builds are always rough until content lock and then everybody works on bug fixing. If they reach content lock by the end of this month experimental could be here by end of June. It just depends on when the various projects wrap up and they can get to polishing as an entire team. I would still be surprised if it released later than August...

This is not good!

Why are you sharing this info??

Nobody ever shares info...unless....

Is there going to be a plague? Has the moon's orbit shifted??

The oil has finally run out...hasn't it!?

This is bad. :upset:

-Morloc

I don't think they've dialed in anything yet for any weapon. Purple sniper doesn't do much more damage than tan wooden bow. So everything is at basic values waiting for Gazz to go through and do his thing.

Sounds like someone is going to be busy, I hope Gazz improves the pistol and shotgun as they are both pretty underpowered, a 560-580 qual pistil in a16.4 hits for about the same as a 25 quality wooden bow. I know pistol has a higher headshot mult but its base dmg should be around 20 or so on survivalist at that quality. The shotgun.. well, it was great in alpha 14, then alpha 15 happened and whatever they did to it, ruined it, its still pretty bad in A16.

Can't judge A17 for a few obvious reasons mainly it not being out.

I skipped to day 7 and spawned in a bunch of extra zombies. I can't say much because reasons but I will say that some things seemed to be working well and other things were not and there will definitely be some new strategies and designs needed based on some of the behavior I witnessed.

Playability-wise the weaponry is still just way too weak at the moment so I mostly just watched the zeds tear my basic little base apart.

Then I flew around and looked at some things and also noticed that sleepers are absent at the moment. Not much game to play in its current state. I'll wait a few builds and see what changes before updating this again.

Thank you Roland. Your story will fall into my news video and about it will be recognized by 5-8 thousand people))

Thanks for the update Roland ;)

I like the fact that some POIs are now designed like a dungeon but I have 2 concerns:

• are we not overdoing it? like every single one of the new ones is designed like this.. is it not too much? maybe it breaks immersion when every single building you see is a dungeon?
  • they are meant to have one path to the loot room. I know you could smash walls and get where you want, but their elaborate path is more enjoyable. How about forking the main way into many others? making the dungeon feel more like a maze, than just a silly corridor.. the lights also make the path too easy to follow.

It does appear that there is going to be a limited return to getting better at crafting by crafting component to the new system. Its a bit overwhelming because it is so different than what has been. At any rate I looked through everything and couldn't find a perk or skill to buy that would let me tier up the tools I could craft so SOMETHING is definitely going to be different from A15 in that regard....

Sounds like one gets diminishing XP for crafting specific items. Am I on the right track?

Sounds like one gets diminishing XP for crafting specific items. Am I on the right track?

I honestly don’t know. The progression and skills and perks are literally like a different game and Kinyajuu and Gazz haven’t really spelled out the details so it is a bit overwhelming and since It’s still pretty impossible to play a long term game it’s impossible to learn the consequences and differences of purchasing this vs that. Makes me feel like a noob again...

This will definitely be an area that will need a new A17 tutorial video.

Thanks for the update Roland ;)

I like the fact that some POIs are now designed like a dungeon but I have 2 concerns:

• are we not overdoing it? like every single one of the new ones is designed like this.. is it not too much? maybe it breaks immersion when every single building you see is a dungeon?
  • they are meant to have one path to the loot room. I know you could smash walls and get where you want, but their elaborate path is more enjoyable. How about forking the main way into many others? making the dungeon feel more like a maze, than just a silly corridor.. the lights also make the path too easy to follow.

I think it will be a matter of personal taste as to whether they are overdoing it. With the shot to the arm in A17 for user created prefabs it won’t be long before you can dilute these new prefabs if your preference runs that way.

There were forks and the house was definitely maze-like—especially when you fall into a new area and have to find your way back to where you were.

Some seem to like the new pois and some are hoping there aren't too many. Is it possible that the percentage of those pois spawning can be adjusted in an xml file. That seems like it would make everyone happy.

I'm trying not to get too excited, because that will make the next month even harder to get through than it already is. When you are a fan, the waiting is painful. It is cool to get some indication of release dates, gives me hope that the wait will end, some day.

I'm planning a 7D2D binge when this comes out, so I hope it is stable enough for that. Might even take a day off work just to fully experience it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived