My Thoughts After Playing Alpha 17. Yes I said Alpha 17!

Roland

Excellent update, needs a blues song played in the background. That first time burns into your memory, when you are in a ramshackle hut and some "thing" starts to pound on the door. We all lost our innocence at that moment and transformed into ... mass-murdering psychopaths, but with good intentions.

(…) I spawned in on a road near a car and some refuse in the middle of a desert. Excitedly I looked around and didn't see much so I started walking. Before long a junkyard emerged from the foggy limits of my view. It was my very first POI. I knew there might be zombies there but I figured I'd be able to outrun them easily so I pressed forward eager to see what treasures this junkyard might hold. It held dogs. A lot of them and I could not outrun them. I died. But I was hooked.

Back then you could choose your respawn point after dying and I kept choosing the desert and I kept trying different ways to take over that POI. I remember feeling a great sense of satisfaction once I killed every undead thing in there and stood atop the flat cement roof of the office building in that junkyard watching the sun go down. Then, of course, all the zombies in the area started running directly to where I was. I heard them coming and I got up on the sloped metal roof of the main shop. I laughed as the zombies got to where I was but could not get up to the sloped part. I started walking up the roof and it all collapsed under me. (…)

Wow, that's the exact same start I had with the game. Except I managed not to die when the roof collapsed. I only got a broken leg. Of course this being Alpha 10 you always had a broken leg… I remember reading the steam reviews just before I bought the game. There was this bloke who wrote this: 7 Days to Break Your Leg: 10/10 would break leg again. I don't know why but this is what made me buy the game.

Roland....

Is it under the gag, or can you say whether the zombies' smell is working again? It's been so long since that was an issue, there are probably a lot of people that just don't realize how tricky moving about was.

-Morloc

Roland....

Is it under the gag, or can you say whether the zombies' smell is working again? It's been so long since that was an issue, there are probably a lot of people that just don't realize how tricky moving about was.

-Morloc

I honestly don't know. All modifiers to stealth are folded into the stealth bar. I guess I could hold a piece of meat and see what my stealth rating was and then drop it to see if that changed it. I'll check that out and if there is no difference I'll raise a "stink" with Gazz. If it isn't in then it probably is simply a matter of they haven't had time.

It's hard to believe we've been playing without smell for about a year now...

Wow, that's the exact same start I had with the game. Except I managed not to die when the roof collapsed. I only got a broken leg. Of course this being Alpha 10 you always had a broken leg… I remember reading the steam reviews just before I bought the game. There was this bloke who wrote this: 7 Days to Break Your Leg: 10/10 would break leg again. I don't know why but this is what made me buy the game.

I started Alpha 5 and there was no broken leg function at that point. You just took fall damage and that fall was enough to kill me. :)

I spawned in on a road near a car and some refuse in the middle of a desert. Excitedly I looked around and didn't see much so I started walking. Before long a junkyard emerged from the foggy limits of my view. It was my very first POI. I knew there might be zombies there but I figured I'd be able to outrun them easily so I pressed forward eager to see what treasures this junkyard might hold. It held dogs. A lot of them and I could not outrun them. I died. But I was hooked.

Back then you could choose your respawn point after dying and I kept choosing the desert and I kept trying different ways to take over that POI. I remember feeling a great sense of satisfaction once I killed every undead thing in there and stood atop the flat cement roof of the office building in that junkyard watching the sun go down. Then, of course, all the zombies in the area started running directly to where I was. I heard them coming and I got up on the sloped metal roof of the main shop. I laughed as the zombies got to where I was but could not get up to the sloped part. I started walking up the roof and it all collapsed under me. I started choosing new spawn points.

That sounds like a series of moments of pure terror. I like that element of this game, and I would welcome it more. That's the beauty of zompocalypse movies: The survivors finally find a breathing point or they seem to be in a comfortable/safe position, then everything goes to hell again.

Of course, this is still present in the game in A16. I was out doing some work, crouched so I would know when I was being hunted, and before long, I was hunted. I turned around to scan my blindspot, only to be smacked in the head and stunned. Apparently, the zombie hadn't noticed me until it was practically upon me, and when it did, it was able to strike me quite quickly. Then 15 of its friends were right upon me as well. I was overwhelmed and bleeding out. My health plummeted. Barely, I was able to escape, apply a bandage, and fight back until I killed the wandering horde. This whole scenario actually elicited audible yelps and curses--something which surprised my wife, who was sitting in the other room.

I liken these this element to what I often experience when playing FTL: Faster Than Light: I'm humming along well, when I stumble on a pirate with jacked abilities and he shoots me out of the sky. I'm startled and frustrated, I feel a little unlucky, but it just makes me determined to be even better prepared next time.

Thanks Roland! So this was your plan for the A16 exp. anniversary, huh?

Nicely done!

Oh and you said that the stealth indicator only shows up when crouching? I thought this was already the case? (I could be wrong, haven't played the game in over 9 months). Or do you mean the stealth-bar-thingy?

Thanks Roland! So this was your plan for the A16 exp. anniversary, huh?

Nicely done!

Oh and you said that the stealth indicator only shows up when crouching? I thought this was already the case? (I could be wrong, haven't played the game in over 9 months). Or do you mean the stealth-bar-thingy?

The new stealth bar thing. The eye in the middle of the screen and the text message about being hunted/ sensed/ undetected is gone.

I remember when I first started playing the game in A13.8, I found that junkyard. The sloped metal roof of that big garage was still collapsing in A13.8, but they had the broken/sprained leg working in the game. Climbed up there to get spend the night in safety...fell through the damn roof. Landed on metal trussing, which then collapsed, dropping me into the waiting arms and teeth of several zombies.

Their dinner was great.

I think it is a right of passage for all Minecraft players to the game. They think : I'll just nerd-pole up to be safe from these pesky zombies. Then they stare in wonder as the Z's start destroying blocks, then in fear as the structure starts collapsing with them on top.

On saying that, I believe the large office block buildings can't be brought down, even if the whole first two layers are removed, right? It just levitates. There is relative safety in hanging on a platform from the roof in the main lobby, with a jump entrance. At least until cops arrive, they can spit at you. Does A17 address this, I wonder? Not that I think it needs "fixing", myself, it's very low on the list anyway.

Finally, I tried digging down near some zombies but they didn't dig to get me. I'm not sure which zombies are set for digging or if it is just dogs. I'll have to get some clarification and then try again but I ran out of time.

i think all zombie can dig

fataal wrote that they crouch before start digging and dog cant crouch

Archived