Big mods comparison

RagefulShrimp

I wan't to try out one of the big mods but have no idea what to choose as there is a lot of them and their description looks mostly the same for me(more loot/gear/recipes/zombies/ores e.t.c.).

It would be helpful if anyone could give a feedback on any of these mods:

1) Undead legacy

2) Wotw

3) Ravenhearst

4) Darkness Falls

5) Valmod

6) True survival

7) Starvation

I'm looking for a brief description and their comparison to vanilla/other mods.

I wan't to try out one of the big mods but have no idea what to choose as there is a lot of them and their description looks mostly the same for me(more loot/gear/recipes/zombies/ores e.t.c.).

1) Undead legacy

2) Wotw

3) Ravenhearst

4) Darkness Falls

5) Valmod

6) True survival

7) Starvation

Wotw: Easy, even easier than vanilla I think, just a loot bonanza, with lots of POIs. (Too much loot for my taste)

Valmod: An excellent "entry level" mod if you want more of everything but not necessarily the hard core package.

Ravenhearst: One of the hard core packages where you will have a hard time to stay alive in the first weeks. Much slower progression, lots of abilities locked behind classes. Dangerous diseases you get from zombies will kill you (as medicine is ultra-rare in the beginning and locked behind a class). Food isn't easy to grow because efficient farming is also locked behind a class.

I don't recommend Ravenhearst. It is so unrealistic, unsatisfying that I couldn't play more than one hour of 3.0 version, even though I played a lot in 2.*. If you like hard grinding with almost no rewarding then it is perfect.

Wotw as above.

Undead Legacy is like an enhanced vanilla. It's really fun, not too easy but rewarding, not that much grindy but you need some time to find good stuff. This is just quality over quantity. You won't find new zombies, POI's etc. but many new recipes, quests, loot, workstations, weapons, guns, food, skills and so on. It's pretty balanced and what's the most important - a BEAUTIFUL interface. Completely redone and redesigned.

I haven't played much of any other mods.

Starvation definitely is a big change, lots of new things... but it also requires a fair bit more memory, with all the new assets being loaded. 10-16 recommended. But does help to keep things fresh when vanilla no longer is tasty :D

/V -

I don't recommend Ravenhearst. It is so unrealistic, unsatisfying that I couldn't play more than one hour of 3.0 version, even though I played a lot in 2.*. If you like hard grinding with almost no rewarding then it is perfect.

Wotw as above.

Undead Legacy is like an enhanced vanilla. It's really fun, not too easy but rewarding, not that much grindy but you need some time to find good stuff. This is just quality over quantity. You won't find new zombies, POI's etc. but many new recipes, quests, loot, workstations, weapons, guns, food, skills and so on. It's pretty balanced and what's the most important - a BEAUTIFUL interface. Completely redone and redesigned.

I haven't played much of any other mods.

Interesting, 99 percent of the feedback I am receiving says the exact opposite of this. Would love to hash out what youd like to see different. In private of course as I do not want to derail here.

I recommend all of the above mods, simply because each offers a different take and insight into all aspects of this game. They may not all be for you, but trying each out can be such a pleasant surprise because you may find something that really piques your play style that you maybe didnt expect to.

Interesting, 99 percent of the feedback I am receiving says the exact opposite of this. Would love to hash out what youd like to see different. In private of course as I do not want to derail here.

I recommend all of the above mods, simply because each offers a different take and insight into all aspects of this game. They may not all be for you, but trying each out can be such a pleasant surprise because you may find something that really piques your play style that you maybe didnt expect to.

I dont know why people give so much good feedback when mod have tone of issues like:

-UnBelievable ammount of grind

-bulletproof zombies(you need 10 shots in the head from lv50 AK to kill one zombie)

-horrible inventory lag(other modders have fixed that issue)

-broken mega zombies with ♥♥♥♥ hitbox and broken animation

-pointless mega zombies with horrible rewards

-constant noises like "i will kill you" when no enemies are even spawned

-normal zombies makes can trigger zombie kid crying

-ammo drop from airdrops makes it too easy to get ammo

-crops and trees can grow even as long as 30 days

-pointless crafting benches

i could give you more but i rather go play some real mods like Undead Legacy

1) Undead legacy

2) Wotw

3) Ravenhearst

4) Darkness Falls

5) Valmod

6) True survival

7) Starvation

Well - I started with Vanilla and only played a bit to get the feeling for the controls. Then it was off to Valmod on a dedi. Then from Valmod I went to Starvation... OH xxxx!!! lol I've sense played WotW and Darkness Falls... For me I would guess a 'good' progression is to go from vanilla, then to Valmod and then War of the Walkers and then Darkness Falls and then Starvation. From my point of view I have to say that Valmod, War of the Walkers, Darkness Falls And Starvation all have a bunch of things in common. Items, skills and a bunch of other stuff are all similar.

1 - Haven't played.

2 - Nice! A lot of stuff here... Can be a bit daunting since there isn't a 'guide' on what you need to make what... There are NPC survivors everywhere! I used to keep clear of them on the first day not knowing if they where going to engage me or not... Then I watched them for a bit and then I started helping them and on a few occasions - taken their stuff! There are 'schools' of sorts where you can access a tonne of vending machines for the classes... One thing I don't like is that at the time of playing (and still) is that you can't pick a class... They'are all thrown at you... So that too can be daunting in trying to figure out what's 'next' so to speak. Tonnes of weapons! You can also make brass which is a big plus! I think the memory usage runs from 16GB towards 22 or so.

3 - Haven't played.

4 - Currently playing! I'd say this is for more of a hard core type player. A lot of NPC Survivors and some that even guard the traitor outposts! Radiated zeds all over the place. Progression is intentionally 'slow' and made that way. Albeit I'm liking it very much. Not as 'intense' as Starvation but a step up in the right direction. I checked last night and the ram usage was about 13GB.

5 - Excellent! A recommended stepping stone into Mods! Many things to craft, eat, etc! I am Cadamier - Hunter of Jason! (if they fix him:( ) Haven't chekced the ram usage.

6 - Haven't played.

7 - Starvation... Let that word sink into your mind for a minute while you think of the possibilities of 7 Days to Die AND "Starvation" lol

To me this is how the game is supposed to be but WITHOUT the 'crazy' thing... I mean lets face it - if you're going to go crazy because of the apocalypse - then you've already gone crazy and have ended up as Zed bait... So no use for it. The whimpering namb-pambi thing has got to go!!! With that out of the way - this mod is truly one of thee most intense mods there is. And again I have to say that 7 Days to Die should be like this mod to the fullest extent. Take vanilla, amp it up 10 Billion Times, throw everything at the book at 'you' and then you have Starvation!

I haven't checked the ram usage on this.

I would also suggest that you get the mod launcher, then try the stepping stones or just jump right in! It would probably help you're frustration levels if you read a bit about the mods before diving in.

You mean a big mod has bugs as "catastrophic" as these? And I'm not sure you are even correct with this. The baby zombie isn't easy to spot at night.

It is ok to critizise and I'm even with you on some points like the tons of crafting benches, but the last sentence of your post is as if from a teenager with self-esteem issues.

You mean a big mod has bugs as "catastrophic" as these? And I'm not sure you are even correct with this. The baby zombie isn't easy to spot at night.

It is ok to critizise and I'm even with you on some points like the tons of crafting benches, but the last sentence of your post is as if from a teenager with self-esteem issues.

when you hear same quote exery few secconds you get pissed off. and there are no zombie kids becouse floor was flat with no grass becouse we cleared out giant ammount of space arround our base(me and matyese)

@Jax

It's a trap!

Nah it can't be. I mean, dozens of streamers love it, thousands of downloads prove his statement otherwise and a constantly moving Discord with nothing but compliments and over 100 plus new messages daily MUST mean I'm doing something wrong right?

Well on to his complaints.

-UnBelievable ammount of grind

Yep. What you call grind others call progression. You earn level ups by DOING things not JUST sinking points. As a matter of fact Im removing even MORE points bought recipes in 3.2 so hold on to your hats. In RH we feel like you should be rewarded in the things you are DOING not shooting a gun to buy a farm recipe. Call me old fashioned

-bulletproof zombies(you need 10 shots in the head from lv50 AK to kill one zombie)

This one is true but if you took the time to realize certain things you would know that custom assets can not yet be assigned a headshot multiplier so basically all zeds are one big body. I think sphereii and xyth are working on this, or they may already HAVE this answer but I do not have it and no one is exactly eager to share with me. Me being opinionated and all I dont have that many people lining up to offer help, just a select few that I cherish to death. So yes you need more ammo to kill them. They are SUPPOSED to be avoided and add danger to nights. Not my fault you want to yolo them.

-horrible inventory lag(other modders have fixed that issue)

I DARE you to find me ONE mod that has the amount of recipes I have that has fixed it. Go ahead I will wait. There is NO mod that has the amount of items and recipes I have NONE. This issue is a vanilla one and is fixed in A17 so in the future that issue will be taken care of.

-broken mega zombies with ♥♥♥♥ hitbox and broken animation

I JUST fixed some of the hitboxes in 3.1.3 so maybe you need to update. As for broken animations point them out please. And don't be generic SHOW me the ones that are broken. Its kind of hard to match up Legacy Animations with Legacy speeds but I do my best. They could use some work yes but I am not a team like other big mods. It ALL me and ONLY me.

-pointless mega zombies with horrible rewards

Define horrible. All have chances at Knowledge Points, lots of ammo, diamonds, guns and other things. EVERY zombie cant be a winner you know.

They ARE spawned they just have spawned in quite a bit away. The original complaint was no one could know there was a Terror spawned and they would just insta kill you so we increased the sound distance so that you are aware.

We are using the sound pack from Sphereiis Nightmares which has random baby crying. We have updated our sounds to a new pack and they will be added in a future update so i have no excuse for this one.

-ammo drop from airdrops makes it too easy to get ammo

With zombies being so hard for you to kill this should be a positive shouldnt it?

-crops and trees can grow even as long as 30 days

The mod was designed with servers in mind so yes the grow times are pretty long but realistic. I am open to tweaking this but so far have had MAYBE 3 complaints on this. Most seem to welcome the fact that my mod is difficult. Maybe this isnt the mod for you?

-pointless crafting benches

Define pointless and I will give you a GOOD reason they are in there. First and foremost it was to cut down on crafting lag inside benches due to the amount of recipes. So we split workbenches and forges into two. We added a BS station for tool crafting, and ammo table because well an ammo table makes SENSE, a food prep table because in reality in your kitchen you have to prepare sliced food and meals and where do YOU do it? In your bedroom? Stoves were added to give the player something to work for end game because not only do they reduce ALL ingredients required in recipes but they also provide the place to make the best meals.

I hope I have addressed some of your concerns. I see you are a lover of Undead Legacy. Which is awesome that mod is definitely one of the best out there. you DO realize Subquake is converting to SDX too? I wonder if your opinion will change when UL becomes more complex. I hope not because I am looking forward to what Walkers AND UL AND Darkness Falls do with SDX now that they are ALL onboard with it.

Brace yourself Gup. this is what you have lying in wait for you :D

I dont know why people give so much good feedback when mod have tone of issues like:

That is not true, because the game simply does not work like that. At worst, the zombie producing the sound might have died already, but the sound bite keeps playing until the end.

So, if you hear it, it's out there somewhere. Open console, type "le", see if it isn't true.

i could give you more but i rather go play some real mods like Undead Legacy

To each its own. I'm playing Undead Legacy myself. Auger schematic on day 2. Forge and Workbench by day 3, Cement Mixer by day 5. On day 9 I made all other workstations, except Chem, because I was bored. I might play to day 21, maybe. I want to try something different on day 14, and might have tweaks for day 21. It's not that Undead Legacy is bad, it's just that... there just isn't anything else to do.

So, yes, if you don't want to spend 20, 30 hours real life before your character _stops_ being useless -- not gets good, just say, get to vanilla day 1 level -- then you don't want to play Ravenhearst. If you want to have a HARD time staying alive on the first couple of weeks, and still have stuff to do by day 100, then Ravenhearst is one of the best choices.

I have 8 Gb of ram and I've never had any issues running valmod, the expansion version of it though not the overhaul. I don't even know how 7dtd can use 8 gb of ram, its not all that impressive looking to me. I haven't tried the undeadlegacy mod myself yet but I think I am going to. I am not a fan of mods that feel the need to add all these worthless recipies that only serve to cause more clutter and such. Ravenhearst to name one, you could remove 75% of the recipies it added and it'd still be fine, as the stuff is nothing more than adding clutter and making stuff take pointless extra steps, Its why I dropped it and never went back.

I have 8 Gb of ram and I've never had any issues running valmod, the expansion version of it though not the overhaul. I don't even know how 7dtd can use 8 gb of ram, its not all that impressive looking to me. I haven't tried the undeadlegacy mod myself yet but I think I am going to. I am not a fan of mods that feel the need to add all these worthless recipies that only serve to cause more clutter and such. Ravenhearst to name one, you could remove 75% of the recipies it added and it'd still be fine, as the stuff is nothing more than adding clutter and making stuff take pointless extra steps, Its why I dropped it and never went back.

It’s a voxel game. Everything is destructible. This has a performance impact.

1)Undead legacy

Tons and tons of loot. This mod is very deep with the loot. You will get big items, like speakers, and you can scrap them into multiple items. Like the speaker might give you wires, transitors and stuff like that. Lots of crafting benches with TONS of tools needed to make items. Think your gonna make those iron spikes? Oh you don't have a welding torch? Then think again. Has lots of stuff locked behind a blacksmith perk as well. The mod brings back ingots too! Great mod.

2) Wotw

A virtual loot-a-thon. The retirement village, or as I call it wonderland, is ,by far, the most insane looting poi ever made. Has classes. You get quests for them. They are kinda long quests. You also need to find 3 class fragments papers to finish on part 5 of the quests lines. When you finish a guest you get all kinds of goodies, including personal class vending machines. You can buy stuff, at a reduced price here. This mod is fast paced balls to the wall awesome.

3) Ravenhearst

The latest version has really changed this mod. 2.2 I feel was perfect for sp but too easy for mp. 3.0 has all but destroyed it for sp imo. But this change has made it much better for mp. Even in mp it's a grinders grinding mod. You will be starving, underpowered and slow at the start. It's still a great mod if your ok with that kinda stuff. For me, my only real issue is having to use stone tools for the first ~30 real life hours of gameplay. This is the most hardcore mod I have played.

4) Darkness Falls

Just started this one. Has a lot to do with traders. Best quests in any mod to date. Trader sights have no protection. You can build and live with them. You can buy quests, 200 dukes, from a guy in the trader compound. Night's are dangerous with ferals and irradiated spawning at night, although not every night. There's classes and the quests you compete give you notes to craft more classes. Getting sap from trees is awesome. I just started so keep that in mind but I love this mod.

5) Valmod

Havnt played.

6) True survival

Haven't played.

7) Starvation

This is probably the best mod out there. It changes more things, adds more, and is just the closest thing you will get to 7 Days to Die 2. Tons of animals, new items, bandits, npcs that can work for YOU! You can have a farmer, guard, mechanics crafter, and more. It has a insanity mechanic. You have to do fun things, like watch tv, to keep yourself from going insane. Only thing I don't like is that food can spoil. I dont mind it spoils, it just spoils too fast. There's tons of other things in this mod but there's not enough time in the day to tell ya lol. Keep in mind I have not played this mod for a while so things might have changed.

@Jax

i have 90 hours on RH2 and 2 hours in 3.1

after 2 hours i can say it went worse:

-noises are even worse they are twice as loud as the game and they are playing non stop.

-zombies with broken hitboxes and animations are preaty much all zombies with coustom animation. big zombies(pink and green one) still have hitbox 2 meters behind it.

-Pigs need 10 arrows to kill, their head have no hitbox and they can hit you 3 times a seccond(so can kill you in 2 secconds).

-developer know that there are alot of useless crafting but instead of removing them he adds more(ability to scrap raw iron and wooden logs instead of normal wood and scap iron nails which you now need to make wooden frames but for some reason scrap frames dont need anything) /useless armor coloring.

-fishing is broken at the moment you barely get anything. bolt action still uses 32mm ammo (its for ♥♥♥♥ing elephant hunting) while having slightly higher damage than 7.62.

-drop from special zombies is still bad (for mega zombies you get max 400 duke coins worth of stuff unless you are high scavenging/quality joe level)

- bow vs guns is completly broken when guns take 10 shots and doesnt stun that often while with starting bow from survivalist you can take down all normal zombies with 4 arrows. mega zombies still need 250 arrows to kill and their head is non existant.

-they added crawling zombies which with current annoing hit animation and strange hitboxes(this one is not ravenharst foult but rather 7d2d devs becouse crawlers were always annoing as fck when you hit them and they just start jumping arround).

-farming is still pain in the ass and i dont care that this mod is optymised for servers... just make 2 version with just a little bit longer for normal game if you want to keep the extemly long grind and keep the seccond one for the servers.

i dont have any criticism for new POIs as they are preaty nice and even with all of this mod is beter than vanilla thanks to bigger inventory and some actualy chellenge.

Things i would suggest changing to improve mod:

-temponarly remove all zombies that use their own animation

-bring back old pig

-remove armor coloring

-bring back normal wood harvesting system

-fishing more like in starvation

-32mm bolt action dealing much more damage but cost to make make ammo would be higher as the bullet

is bigger and yould be given max 10 from special boxes

for now i can only think of those changes to improve mod but i will spend at least 20 hours before leaving it to give it a fair try

Archived