Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I know how you feel... But if your gonna keep this up, you'll be very busy ;)

I know I started working on his original question and decided it was worthless to write an entire English lesson. I thought I'd hit one major lesson and call it a day lmao

I'm going to just say I got rekt hard in two cut video sequences. The AI mysteriously swarms around you and you get surrounded and with the new movement system you can't simply run circles around them any more, so combat and entering a POI is harder, the AI is better and you had better be on your toes. Manage your stamina too. It all needs much balancing, but I see this as "its going to be totally awesome, living in fear again" and there will be no safe place on horde night. The old cheesy rooftop exploit or digging underground will not save you.

BTW, I didn't get rekt because its too hard, but because I made mistakes. The levels are set up in a way to organically surround you if you aren't aware of your surroundings. I think footsteps are broken too so that added to me getting rekt.

I hope the stamina management isn't too intense. When zombies are walking I'd kind of expect to be able to run around them in circles a bit.

Any word on how digging underground is made not to be safe anymore?

Thanks for taking the time out for an update. Always appreciated.

I'm really looking forward to the tackling the new POIs. I'd like to have to rely on torches and candles more though as this adds a lot to the suspense of room clearing. In the current build, once you have a minors helmet it becomes too easy in the dark and the fear factor lessens.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers.

Thanks for the video MM... Looks really good.

I especially enjoyed seeing the distant trees!

@Crater: Ok, seems that *I* just got rekt... Good catch, me suck...

I blame the school system!!!

Definitely NOT because I was lazy... No no not at all :D

The old cheesy rooftop exploit or digging underground will not save you.

This got my attention. So no more digging underground or sitting on a rooftop, huh? How exactly is this possible? In order to get you they'd have to take the house down or dig down to get you.

Update looking great, btw.

Release the Kraken

Thanks for posting! :-]

To be honest there's not as much as I'd expected to talk about until the next video!!

What I mean is that it would be great to see the new skill list and some info on the new level progression system attributes and the stealth system... but ok, I guess it's not ready for prime time yet. :crushed:

@madmole, thanks for video. Church look awesome!!! )

I want to ask about the distant trees in 17 Alpha. Can we see distant trees if we cut them down?

In 16 Alpha there is such a problem with buildings. We change or destroy the building, but in the distance everything looks as if nothing has changed.

Thanks!

Oh.. My..

ZOMBIE HP BARS.. WHAT IS THIS ?!?!

and finally.. I get to see how much ridiculous HP and Regen a Copper runs around with!

- Also... Are you maybe gonna balance that because eeh it's less fun having to unload a bucket load of shots into their heads and nothing happens and then all of a sudden they blow up killing you in the process :)!

The old cheesy rooftop exploit or digging underground will not save you...

Can you elaborate please or give us a video of this at the least. This is the sort of video we would like to see, and actual change that affects almost everyone in a playstyle way.

- - - Updated - - -

@madmole, thanks for video. Church look awesome!!! )

I want to ask about the distant trees in 17 Alpha. Can we see distant trees if we cut them down?

In 16 Alpha there is such a problem with buildings. We change or destroy the building, but in the distance everything looks as if nothing has changed.

Thanks!

yeah we destroy a POI and it still shows up in the distance as if nothing has happened.

Thanks Joel for the new video!

The new trees look awesome and the fact that now they are rendered much farther away is great news! I love them ;)

Damn, I really do not like the zombie hp bar. It is ugly, too big and it is activated before you even do damage. Sorry ):

Release the Kraken

This gave me a bit of a surprise. I usually associate the releasing of the kraken with the release of a new alpha. I also noticed the avatar didn't change which would have also noted a release of a new alpha. I was confused, excited and disappointed.....puberty all over again....

This gave me a bit of a surprise. I usually associate the releasing of the kraken with the release of a new alpha. I also noticed the avatar didn't change which would have also noted a release of a new alpha. I was confused, excited and disappointed.....puberty all over again....

Welcome to my world.........

i just Lurk now

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to just say I got rekt hard in two cut video sequences. The AI mysteriously swarms around you and you get surrounded and with the new movement system you can't simply run circles around them any more, so combat and entering a POI is harder, the AI is better and you had better be on your toes. Manage your stamina too. It all needs much balancing, but I see this as "its going to be totally awesome, living in fear again" and there will be no safe place on horde night. The old cheesy rooftop exploit or digging underground will not save you.

BTW, I didn't get rekt because its too hard, but because I made mistakes. The levels are set up in a way to organically surround you if you aren't aware of your surroundings. I think footsteps are broken too so that added to me getting rekt.

Challenge excepted

Not being safe on rooftops, or underground, is a huge new feature.

I really wish you could elaborate a few words on how this is done.

That is so cool. Not being safe on horde night is what it's all about, IMO :)

A17 looks great!!

One thing that stood out to me in the video, or rather didn’t stand out, was the bleeding buff. Madmole’s character starts bleeding at two points in the video, and he applies a bandage one of those times. I noticed two indicators for bleeding: the buff icon, and the tooltip. I only noticed the tooltip on the second viewing, but in fairness it was still programmer text (“injurybleedingtooltip”).

In contrast, when the player’s fullness gets low (in A16), this gets an indicator in the form of a sound effect (stomach growling) every time it decreases, in addition to the buff icon. Bleeding damage is a more immediate concern than decreasing fullness, so it deserves more prominent feedback than the other in my view. And during combat, when it matters most, I’d sooner pick up on a pained grunt sound effect, or the screen flaring up red when my character bleeds, than a line of text.

My thoughts

A few questions:-

1- I don’t think that the “health bar” at the top for zombies is really needed, it’s not as if this is a streetfighter or mortal combat 90’s arcade fight game, if you batter a zombie, and you havent finished him off, then thats your fault in not finishing the job, dont need to see a health bar

2- How much does Joel actually play the game? It’s funny watching his vid, he’s useless! :p

3- I love the current weapon/tool upgrade system, in having to scavenge for new parts, to upgrade them all at a workbench, putting them together, it adds to the overall, desolate theme to the game, making it a scale of 1-5 and that’s it, just seems pointless

but thanks for the update

Zombies haven't been able to dig down for a long time now, that will get fixed if it isn't.

Sad to hear that. Now I can't have a nice garden if I build a basement...

That was the problem, they didn't take the house down. They run around break a few blocks but not actually do much damage to the building.

Yey! Now theres a reason to build intelligently (I hope).

I hope for many wtf moments :)

Archived