Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

A video update would mean a whole lot to the community!!! I know TFP is super busy working hard on the release of a.17 but I hope time is taken to give us another one of the videos that mean so much to all of us.

Everyone of us wants a backstage video, but this is not The Bold and the Beautiful, we survive here.

FAATAL,

With all the new code, will anything help with the meshing of ground to blocks?

That cut out /ditch looks terrible when building or filling in along a wall.

Regards,

OUCH

MTFGA

Sorry, got no info on that.

Since it is Friday, I'll give you a few things done this week:

Fixed Path grid creation problems discovered in the cool new hospital POI.

Improved player noise system and fixed noise timing and guns not making any noise.

Improved sleeper responsiveness and kill checking.

I also saw some cool new bow features.

I wanna know if we can disable the jeeps block damage at will, I hate seeing loot sources getting destroyed. Would be nice if it was a ingame toggle, but if it can be shut off in the xml that works for me too. Even those garbage bags you never know when you can find something you need in them. I'd rather it be like the a16.4 minibike where you drive over them or it stops you, then have to been swerving with the jeep to avoid them.

Why not make it so the jeep passes over or through all loot containers? faatal?

Or walls/floors/structures affecting spatial sound? :) one of my hopes for the future is that it's easier to tell how far a zombie is away or around corners, inside a room etc. by the 'muffled'ness and 'distance sounding'ness of it. Right now it feels you can hear some zombie going crazy and it's three floors above you. Not sure if that's anywhere near alpha 17, but hopefully the new Unity versions etc. make it easier to do.

Sorry, got no info on that.

- - - Updated - - -

Improved player noise system and fixed noise timing and guns not making any noise.

Big deal.

Why not make it so the jeep passes over or through all loot containers? faatal?

I don’t think a vehicle should slam into a garbage pile like it’s a brick wall. But I don’t think it should plow through like the obstacle doesn’t exist, or roll over the top of it, either. These options only make sense for hitting a hard, rigid body.

Even driving into those piles of loose cinder blocks, they wouldn’t stay immobile until the whole pile disintegrates. So how do we simulate softer stuff in a voxel game?

I believe the answer is to enable blocks to slow down vehicles. It’ll be more believable, the incentive to notice and avoid obstacles will remain, and the tech would have the wonderful side benefit of allowing you to, for instance, drive faster on asphalt than grass.

From this point of the game onwards , I am really only hoping for a few things to get fixed/added/upgraded and the rest is just gravy...

1. Water...and boats...possibly...fishing!

2. Better zombie AI without being super smart destroyers of the human race , aka zombies from Return of the Living Dead...sounds like we are getting that now from fataal

3. as someone else just mentioned...that annoying seam between dirt and construction...while a minor issue , has always just bothered me!

4. Joshua Trees! yes , I bring it up again and will continue to do so lol!

I am pretty easy...the other new features , vehicles , guns , balancing etc. are all going to be nice , but those three things are what will make it so much better for me...

From this point of the game onwards , I am really only hoping for a few things to get fixed/added/upgraded and the rest is just gravy...

1. Water...and boats...possibly...fishing!

2. Better zombie AI without being super smart destroyers of the human race , aka zombies from Return of the Living Dead...sounds like we are getting that now from fataal

3. as someone else just mentioned...that annoying seam between dirt and construction...while a minor issue , has always just bothered me!

4. Joshua Trees! yes , I bring it up again and will continue to do so lol!

I am pretty easy...the other new features , vehicles , guns , balancing etc. are all going to be nice , but those three things are what will make it so much better for me...

Return of the Living Dead zombies can't die though by the usual means. Remember only the bomb killed them. I'd hate for something like that in a video game. Destroy the brain George A. Romero Dead films (RIP) style or Resident Evil style just shoot them long enough and they die are the only choices.

------

Also at this rate all I want is them AI Survivors, Raiders, and Traveling Traders. They showed off some of that off long time ago but nothing has been said in a while as well.

@faatal One of the things that have really annoyed me about the AI is the spider zombies. A player could climb to the top of a building and place a cloth awning around the rim of the building, the spider zombies would get stuck at the awning and never be able to climb to the top and attack the player. Do your AI improvements allow spider zombies to break obstacles in their way (when climbing a building) to reach the player?

I'm sure there will be one or two post with the, "They spent all that time and this is it??"

The AI will be a real threat. Now its a credible game plot why there are very few living remaining!

Fort defense will no longer be about "gaming" them, you will need to design a fort where shotgun turrets fire at near point blank ranges. Narrow their fields of fire by embedding them in your walls.

Even if we need a mod to point those turrets strait down and have the barrel almost touching their heads when firing!

I'm hyped about horde nights, will I have a Plan B, C and D thru Z? Yup! :)

Lots of testosterone on this forum...

(and I don't joke about my wife. She does a lot and puts up with a lot.)

(like a husband who has 3k hours in a single game, and 2000+ games)

Subject = Baby Production. (As a metaphor for game development...)

1 man or 9 men doesn't matter. 0 babies.

1 woman + 1 man = 1 baby per 9 months. (if everything optimal)

9 women + 9 men = 9 babies per 9 months. (If everything is optimal)

BUT

9 women + 1 man = 9 babies per 9 months. (If everything is optimal.)

So, if we infer that A woman represents the game, and the men represent the developers...

Crap. So hiring more developers means what? How long has it been since A17 started? ; - )

All seems good and Optimal here, but if Woman are game, and man represent Developer, than your statement mean:

One Developer ♥♥♥♥ 9 Games and produce 9 baby.. these can be BUG or MODs but not actual game, as production of Man + Woman is baby not Woman itself..

I am just fixing the fact..

- - - Updated - - -

You are teasing that development is reaching in final stage of Bug fixing and Features are now kinda fixed. Sounds good to me. And Great progress, thanks for your (your = complete team) hard work

I'm sure there will be one or two post with the, "They spent all that time and this is it??"

The AI will be a real threat. Now its a credible game plot why there are very few living remaining!

Fort defense will no longer be about "gaming" them, you will need to design a fort where shotgun turrets fire at near point blank ranges. Narrow their fields of fire by embedding them in your walls.

Even if we need a mod to point those turrets strait down and have the barrel almost touching their heads when firing!

I'm hyped about horde nights, will I have a Plan B, C and D thru Z? Yup! :)

I like to use Plan A for blood moon horde - build mini bike and say bye bye to zombies, even if they have better AI.:smile-new:

I like to use Plan A for blood moon horde - build mini bike and say bye bye to zombies, even if they have better AI.:smile-new:

Yeah, it should work, like digging underground. But, for the first time at least, I try to play the full game. Since A16, there has been a futility to it at around day 100 for me, unless you "game" the AI. But, we'll see soon enough.

Archived