1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Portland Oregon:

Home of Powell Bookstore...

the biggest bookstore in the world...

one of the reasons I travel to that rainy place,

and you have time to type 13 keys?? Was someone turning the page for you?

Man, when my wife tires of trying to save the world, I will put in a good word for that place for our retirement. "Pig Racing", where else would you find that but Oregon? :)

Oregon is also home of the best organic marijuana on the planet. No doubt about it. Lived all over Oregon for 15 years and have missed it everyday since I left.

Questions about bandits.

1) If you clear out one of their bases, will they respawn at the same location after some time? Or could they respawn out in the wilderness as well?

2) Can you join their faction, if only for a few missions?

3) Will traders get protection with patrolling troops around the premises? That protect against incoming zeds and bandits. And can we get missions / quests that involve protecting traders from incoming attacks.

Post combined with a few beers and the anticipation for A17 :)

I don't believe I mentioned you specifically. I'm sorry you took it personally.

The complaining and whining about an alpha has gone on for like forever lol. Me personally rather lots of things put in to this game more features more items etc etc sp they can take as bbn long as they need to get this game to beta. But a video here or there isnt much to ask. Something to keep everyone hooked and keen isn't much.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it's any one particular person. I think it's the fact that over the last few days, there seems to be CONSTANT requests for a new video. As in more people coming on here to say that they want a new video or to complain that a17 isn't out yet, than people who want to actually talk about cool new features in a17. This has devolved into more of an a17 whining party than an a17 dev diary. It's just the overall general attitude lately. People can't seem to handle not getting constant updates.

Understand what your saying. But for a game developer whom has been so constant with forum appearances and videos etc and then for the community to hear nothing for over 4 weeks kinda is different.

Will the zombies at least slightly turn their heads towards the player when they are above or below the zombie? Now zombies look only in front of themselves and do not turn their heads at all (((

Will the zombie have an animation of the face (movement of the jaws and eyes)?

All this can add fear to the game, is not it. Now zombies are just dolls that are not like people and therefore do not inspire fear to players (

I never thought of that! that kind of detail would actually add allot to the game. Something i was thinking about that would be so cool were things like you see on walking dead. Not just zombies crawling, but zombies actually stuck/melted to the ground or part way under a car or debris. They wouldn't add much threat, but they would be so cool.

Not counting any possible faction levels of interaction...If you encounter bandits and do not cooperate and you don't offer anything of use for the bandits...they knock you out . Screen goes black and you wake up inventory emptied of higher value items and any firearms you may have had on you...and when you come to , you find out you they dropped you off in the middle of nowhere...

Not counting any possible faction levels of interaction...If you encounter bandits and do not cooperate and you don't offer anything of use for the bandits...they knock you out . Screen goes black and you wake up inventory emptied of higher value items and any firearms you may have had on you...and when you come to , you find out you they dropped you off in the middle of nowhere...

I wouldn't bother teleporting the player, the price of failure is high enough already. Otherwise it's a good idea and consistent with what little backstory has been suggested by the Great Mole himself.

Changing the topic: will they add to the game zombie limbs that get rip off instead of just exploding?

Unlikely, it would lead to too many physics objects in the scene which would cripple the frame-rate. This is why corpses turn into the static corpse blocks, to save on physics objects.

Unlikely, it would lead to too many physics objects in the scene which would cripple the frame-rate. This is why corpses turn into the static corpse blocks, to save on physics objects.

Take physics objects out of the physics loop while they are not moving, and only reintroduce them when near a player. You'd be surprised how many things you can get bouncing around at once. Physics don't need to be perfect, just convincing enough to look good.

Take physics objects out of the physics loop while they are not moving, and only reintroduce them when near a player. You'd be surprised how many things you can get bouncing around at once. Physics don't need to be perfect, just convincing enough to look good.

That already happens automatically with unity, technically it's the colliders attached to the physics objects that are the problem but without them everything would fall through the floor.

Removing colliders from objects and making them static far from the player would have some odd consequences, I'd be able to shoot a rocket launcher at a pile of corpses and the projectile would just pass through them. Activating them all when a rocket got close enough to them would give the frame-rate a crippling stutter for a few frames and probably send bodies flying through the air for miles, the physics engine would read the activated colliders as new collisions and behave appropriately.

Nice idea but unworkable.

What's the difference to accessing the inventar?

PVP crowd will surround quest givers with blocks. Or tunnel to the quest giver. Or don't do quests at all, quests are PvE.

What? PvP and PvE aren't mutually exclusive. I love scavenging and mining and 7th nights and all the PvE content as a PvPer

Also in my extensive PvP experience nobody really bothers trying to "claim" a trading post by building all the way around it. It happens but it's not as common as you might think, nor is it very difficult to bypass if someone does do it. There are a lot of traders and one person or even a group of people cannot "claim" them all without investing hundreds of hours digging colossal moats or whatever

"Removing colliders from objects and making them static far from the player would have some odd consequences" Like how in Kerbal Space Program, another unity game, when you load your Mun base and see it jump 3m off the ground? Let's not bring that into 7DtD :p

Guest Rassilon
sharing the map in multiplayer would be awesome. with your faction/friend

is that planned?

Would be cool if they could implement something like they have in Minecraft.

You craft a Map and need to wander around with it equipped, in Order to be able to actually record the actual Map.

And you can Copy your Map to Friends, Hang it on a Wall and you can vary the Scale of the Map.

Maybe the Devs can give it some thought for a later date, i fully understand this will be very low Priority.

Would be cool if they could implement something like they have in Minecraft.

You craft a Map and need to wander around with it equipped, in Order to be able to actually record the actual Map.

And you can Copy your Map to Friends, Hang it on a Wall and you can vary the Scale of the Map.

Maybe the Devs can give it some thought for a later date, i fully understand this will be very low Priority.

This is cool, but it is part of the process of making the game hyper realistic. I think that I would love it, but I don't think that everyone would.. Other improvements on the same line are:

removing the time on the screen and introducing the ingame object clock (which needs to be found/repaired/crafted)

removing the radar on the screen and adding a compass object

remove chat and add ingame mobile phones/walkie talkie

What? PvP and PvE aren't mutually exclusive. I love scavenging and mining and 7th nights and all the PvE content as a PvPer

Also in my extensive PvP experience nobody really bothers trying to "claim" a trading post by building all the way around it. It happens but it's not as common as you might think, nor is it very difficult to bypass if someone does do it. There are a lot of traders and one person or even a group of people cannot "claim" them all without investing hundreds of hours digging colossal moats or whatever

I just listed a variety of options to show that PvP-players can do lots of things depending on their circumstances and tastes. There is no reason to imagine they'd be helpless suddenly faced with a dialog that makes them immobile. The idea about walling off was more about a fast small wood block directly around the player to gain seconds to react before a sniper tries to take you out, similar to a wood frame wall to help against dog surprise attacks. There is no "claiming" involved.

Also, what would a PvP environment be without "watering holes" to lure out and find other players who otherwise hide in their underground bunkers

I wonder how you can get all upset. I've been around since Alpha 8 and have known the update cycle for ages it's been and always has been that the new Alphas really need and you need to sit back and relax on Alpha 17... wait as always... it can not be that it takes so long but it is like that and that is since the beginning.

Just relax and wait for A17

Or Go Back to A8 and wait for A9 and then for A10 again.

New releases will Always Take time.

It's done when it's done.

I wonder how you can get all upset. I've been around since Alpha 8 and have known the update cycle for ages it's been and always has been that the new Alphas really need and you need to sit back and relax on Alpha 17... wait as always... it can not be that it takes so long but it is like that and that is since the beginning.

Just relax and wait for A17

Or Go Back to A8 and wait for A9 and then for A10 again.

New releases will Always Take time.

It's done when it's done.

It's not only that they always done it, but we voted to have it this way. TFP could easily have divided all those features on the first page in to 10 releases already. Giving them a lot more work to do and a lot more people would complain that they don't have time to do anything before the next patch require them to reset everything. So these few people still complaining about the wait, is just new players who did not care to read up on the past development.

Archived