Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

all i ever wanted was this.......... Zombies that act like an lifeform and dont have an GPS tracker for the player

Click on it to make it bigger

<snipped for space>

Not bad but I can foresee a few... oddities and difficulties.

The range of human sight is really quite far, you can see a single candle burning from two miles away on a dark night with your central vision cone. It could be argued that a zombie has lost a lot of their detailed vision. You can achieve quite a realistic range of human vision from peripheral, through medial, and onto central with three shapes. I know because I have done this.

Hearing is a difficult one, it's not just a case of how far someone can hear but also several other factors. The sound doesn't necessarily travel in a straight line like light so raycasting is pretty useless, it can travel around corners which means it falls under the auspices of the pathfinding algorithm and that can be computationally expensive. There's also the effect of weather. Rain will mask many quieter sounds while snow is surprisingly effective at dampening sound over range, this is why is always seems so very quiet after a recent snowfall although trying to sneak up on someone through snow is difficult and trying to escape from someone who can see your footprints is almost impossible. You also forgot that human hearing is quite directional due to the shape, position, and lack of mobility of our ears.

In short, a reasonably realistic vision and hearing system is possible but might be more difficult than you would imagine.

This is not done with a simple Fix, this needs Rework/Overhaul. Looking at Rolands First Page, i cant see anything planned like this.

So unless its a hidden Projekt ( wich i dont think ) you got to wait for at least A18 or End-Phase Polishing.

on the first and second post there are only finished feature, if sound is a work in progress you can't find it there

I would say that vision is terrible in zombies, unless their brain is working perfectly, which their behavior says otherwise.

To see and understand what you are seeing takes many parts of the higher brain regions. So vision is terrible.

Hearing and smell are more localized but would be damaged so sounds and smells might confuse or enrage them.

Lastly, and Faatal is right on with his AI for A17: the Parietal lobe might be damaged in some zombies and they would attack anything to stop the confusing noises or smells, would be heading straight for the offending smells or sounds.

Other zombies with a working Parietal lobe would avoid self harm as much as possible to stop the sounds or smells a player makes!

So would look for an easier way in! (maybe darkness allows them to see better and is why they can move fast)

I'm too happy it can make sense! :D

won't release

Portland Oregon:

Home of Powell Bookstore...

the biggest bookstore in the world...

one of the reasons I travel to that rainy place,

and you have time to type 13 keys?? Was someone turning the page for you?

Man, when my wife tires of trying to save the world, I will put in a good word for that place for our retirement. "Pig Racing", where else would you find that but Oregon? :)

Portland Oregon:

Home of Powell Bookstore...

the biggest bookstore in the world...

one of the reasons I travel to that rainy place,

and you have time to type 13 keys?? Was someone turning the page for you?

Man, when my wife tires of trying to save the world, I will put in a good word for that place for our retirement. "Pig Racing", where else would you find that but Oregon? :)

Powell Bookstore is truly amazing, I spent about $200 when I last went just on books. I could live there honestly.

Uh oh, 7 posts in the last 6 hours*, interest is dying that's not good.

Come on guys don't lose hope.

It's almost done, chin up!

*Not including mine.

When you leave the community without new info people get tired...

Blocks, blocks and more blocks

Still love that game and hope that A17 comes out very soon.

I'm amned impressed what you guys made out of this game in the last few years.

Just a question that comes up to my mind:

Are there any plans to add some new shapes of blocks too?

For my way of base building an inner and outer corner shape for the arch block would be a perfect addition (would make it possible to build underground tunnelsystems that goes arround the corner).

Bulletproof glass in the shape of the two straight wedge blocks would come in handy too.

And some angled iron bars to fit with ramp and/or wedge shape would make it perfect.

I seem to recall the last time MM had a long time away from the forums he then emerged with saucy game play footage of stuff we'd never seen before and not too far behind that was lets plays. I'm not saying it's nearly time but a little piece of me says they are putting noses to grind stones and when they have a working iteration MM will grace us with his presence, plus may is a month with 2 long weekends in it so i wouldn't even blame them for taking some time off. Devs have real lives too.

Guest Rassilon
Still love that game and hope that A17 comes out very soon.

I'm amned impressed what you guys made out of this game in the last few years.

Just a question that comes up to my mind:

Are there any plans to add some new shapes of blocks too?

For my way of base building an inner and outer corner shape for the arch block would be a perfect addition (would make it possible to build underground tunnelsystems that goes arround the corner).

Bulletproof glass in the shape of the two straight wedge blocks would come in handy too.

And some angled iron bars to fit with ramp and/or wedge shape would make it perfect.

+1

Im allready waiting for the "mod it" guys, but i indeed think fleshing out the Blocks and its shapes would be a huge benefit for both Devs and Players, as it helps to create more immersive and creative Buildings, Prefabs and Bases.

I would say that vision is terrible in zombies, unless their brain is working perfectly, which their behavior says otherwise.

To see and understand what you are seeing takes many parts of the higher brain regions. So vision is terrible.

Hearing and smell are more localized but would be damaged so sounds and smells might confuse or enrage them.

Lastly, and Faatal is right on with his AI for A17: the Parietal lobe might be damaged in some zombies and they would attack anything to stop the confusing noises or smells, would be heading straight for the offending smells or sounds.

Other zombies with a working Parietal lobe would avoid self harm as much as possible to stop the sounds or smells a player makes!

So would look for an easier way in! (maybe darkness allows them to see better and is why they can move fast)

I'm too happy it can make sense! :D

Zombies senses and reasoning would likely be affected by how long they've been rotting. A freshly made zombie would/should have senses almost comparable to an uninfected human although you'll have a hard time convincing me that they gain a degree in structural engineering because of the infection, especially if the reasoning part of the brain is the first to go. Sometimes I have difficulty calculating structural integrity of similar blocks... even when I'm not drunk.

The AI must also take into account that it'll be used for uninfected bandits eventually unless you want to do all of the work twice.

In that scenario it makes sense to start with the full range of senses and mental faculties and have a sliding scale which limits these based on how rotten the zombie is.

It also makes sense to use a simple behavior tree for zombie decision making, not only for individuals but also for sub-groups among the horde. The zombies may not make much use of the behavior tree but when you're adding bandits it'll be a lot easier to expand an existing behavior tree system than to try and force a behavior tree into an already existing AI framework. Trying to get a group of bandits working as a coordinated team without a behavior tree will be far more difficult and time consuming than with one. This is why behavior trees have become a standard in FPS games, not because it's flashy and cool but because it saves time and effort in the long run.

I re read the game page in steam and it doesn't say anywhere that we are entitled to videos so why are some people demanding them like it's their right? I think the *cough* subtle hints *cough* in a post is fine and can be taken in good humour but the constant nagging posts... in my own house my kids know that if they nag for things they're guaranteed not to get them.

Oh! I'm very excited about the new AI. That's what I originally wanted to say.

I re read the game page in steam and it doesn't say anywhere that we are entitled to videos so why are some people demanding them like it's their right? I think the *cough* subtle hints *cough* in a post is fine and can be taken in good humour but the constant nagging posts... in my own house my kids know that if they nag for things they're guaranteed not to get them.

Oh! I'm very excited about the new AI. That's what I originally wanted to say.

myself havent posted in a long time..considering we use to get a video a week and atleast a visit by MM a few times a week. not seeing anything for over 4 weeks one can simply ask a question.....

myself havent posted in a long time and well i can ask for what ever i want or see or think..considering we use to get a video a week and atleast a visit by MM a few times a week. not seeing anything for over 4 weeks one can simply ask a question..... sorry god for i have sinned.... uuuummmmmmkkkkaaaaayyyyy

I don't believe I mentioned you specifically. I'm sorry you took it personally.

myself havent posted in a long time and well i can ask for what ever i want or see or think..considering we use to get a video a week and atleast a visit by MM a few times a week. not seeing anything for over 4 weeks one can simply ask a question..... sorry god for i have sinned.... uuuummmmmmkkkkaaaaayyyyy

I don't think it's any one particular person. I think it's the fact that over the last few days, there seems to be CONSTANT requests for a new video. As in more people coming on here to say that they want a new video or to complain that a17 isn't out yet, than people who want to actually talk about cool new features in a17. This has devolved into more of an a17 whining party than an a17 dev diary. It's just the overall general attitude lately. People can't seem to handle not getting constant updates.

I don't think it's any one particular person. I think it's the fact that over the last few days, there seems to be CONSTANT requests for a new video. As in more people coming on here to say that they want a new video or to complain that a17 isn't out yet, than people who want to actually talk about cool new features in a17. This has devolved into more of an a17 whining party than an a17 dev diary. It's just the overall general attitude lately. People can't seem to handle not getting constant updates.

EGGGGZactly :) and it's happened in every new alpha build.

You want to see what happens when a company releasing an early access game fails to properly communicate with their players then head over to the "Space Engineers" forum and look at the bile and vitriol on display there. Giving the players something to talk and complain about is better than leaving them without any news whatsoever. Some on the Keen forums have praised TFP for their ability to interact with their player base.

My god, what fresh hell is this. Just installed the 2018 release of unity and the standard scene background has changed to the same shade of brown as the 1970's... (face + palm) + (head + desk)

Okay, panic over. It changes to something reasonable when you open a scene. :-)

Yeah, we users are biggest pain in the asses. We will absolutely always complain, regardless. So I get why some devs just choose to stop communicating with us , even though that always end up making us complain even more.

EDIT: Especially for Indie devs, this can become too much. It's a personal dream that is constantly being taken apart and ripped apart by everyone's idea of how they would like things to be.

EGGGGZactly :) and it's happened in every new alpha build.

I didn't start playing until a14.6 and didn't start loyally following the dev diary until a few months before a16 came out. Before that, I just followed the facebook page to get the MM videos. I remember how bad it was at that point, but I wanted the info bad enough that I kept coming back and sifting through the crap to read what the devs had to say.

P.S. If you want to see something truly toxic, go visit the comments on ANY Facebook page for a video game.

... The zombies may not make much use of the behavior tree but when you're adding bandits it'll be a lot easier to expand an existing behavior tree system than to try and force a behavior tree into an already existing AI framework....

Bandit: "Give me all your stuff or I ...BRAINS!... kill you"

Archived