Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Yeah, shield is good for blocking, but we don't have shield and blocking with hunting knife is dumb.

The discussion is about developing melee weapons, and that would mean adding new weapons including shields, and expanding upon the attack style of various weapons, such as adding a sweep to clubs/hammers in addition to overhead swings. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear but I was actually suggesting adding shields with a blocking/shoving mechanic as part of a melee system expansion. I was never thinking about blocking with weapons but I guess I didn't communicate that clearly. I started this conversation after someone said developing melee combat is useless, which I disagreed with since melee combat is possibly the most fun and useful system in the game, and it could be even more enjoyable if it was developed further.

The discussion is about developing melee weapons, and that would mean adding new weapons including shields, and expanding upon the attack style of various weapons, such as adding a sweep to clubs/hammers in addition to overhead swings. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear but I was actually suggesting adding shields with a blocking/shoving mechanic as part of a melee system expansion. I was never thinking about blocking with weapons but I guess I didn't communicate that clearly. I started this conversation after someone said developing melee combat is useless, which I disagreed with since melee combat is possibly the most fun and useful system in the game, and it could be even more enjoyable if it was developed further.
Looking from this position, blocking with shield is interesting idea, but if tfp add it.

Shoving mechanic is simple enough, so even without shield it's possible to shove zombies with your hands or weapon. Ability to kick with foot also can work.

Did Madmole die? Did 7 days to die, die? I hope to not die before 7 days to die comes out! I hope 7 days to die does not die before I die. I want to live knowing that 7 days to die will be possible for my children. Maybe my children's, children. Maybe thousands of years from now aliens will come to earth and find this game and be like "it took 7,000 years we must finish this game". And then there is a huge space war and the aliens are killed. Then there is thousands of years of war over the game. And in the end... in a galaxy far far away... Someone.. or something, some life source.. Will play a completed, polished, ready to go 7 days. Imagine that. Gets me all fuzzy inside <3:sorrow::flypig::whoo:

well, to be fair, before alpha 16 released, the dev team was like...what, 6 people? if that?

Joel just hired on a bunch of new people, who have been explosive with what they're bringing to the table, including alot of things that were almost too menial to deal with as a small dev team, like how the landscape is formed, and how POIs interact with said landscape.

So hopefully it isn't too far reaching for these ideas to come to fruition, and hopefully its not putting the cart before the horse to aim so high for this next update, but that is just the type of gamble each and every update has. "Do we release something for this update that is basic steps, or do we shoot higher, and try to have an expansive, encompassing update that will drive more and more players to the game?"

Serious question; Do the Fun Pimps offer any kind of Intern program? Not asking for me but I was thinking that it would be a win win situation.

1. The Fun Pimps can test talent out with no obligation or commitment

2. Students get to work with the leaders in Open World Voxel games

3. The Fun Pimps can delegate lower level priorities to these interns

4. They could even help with bug squashing, a staple in their careers to be sure

5. The Fun Pimps can keep the cream of the crop if they want and add them to the team for current/next project

6. Students will come out with a new and healthy respect for voxel based games, who knows what that could snowball into

7. Free workers for the Fun Pimps, Amazing experience for the students

I'm talking out of my butt here but who knows! :caked:

May I introduce you to the modern slavery act (2015)...

"to any work or services provided by the person, including work or services provided in circumstances which constitute exploitation"

- Modern slavery act section 1, paragraph 4(b)

well, to be fair, before alpha 16 released, the dev team was like...what, 6 people? if that?

Joel just hired on a bunch of new people, who have been explosive with what they're bringing to the table, including alot of things that were almost too menial to deal with as a small dev team, like how the landscape is formed, and how POIs interact with said landscape.

So hopefully it isn't too far reaching for these ideas to come to fruition, and hopefully its not putting the cart before the horse to aim so high for this next update, but that is just the type of gamble each and every update has. "Do we release something for this update that is basic steps, or do we shoot higher, and try to have an expansive, encompassing update that will drive more and more players to the game?"

So far we have vehicle physics brought up to reasonably modern standards, weapons brought up to mid 2000's standards and AI brought up to the late nineties. I'm failing to see the "new".

Apologies, I've been drinking, I should probably stop typing now :-)

"to any work or services provided by the person, including work or services provided in circumstances which constitute exploitation"

Still happens, in fact my cousin just did a 3 month non paid internship for Kaiser hospital.

I don't understand what you are saying because this is how almost all internships work even till this day. She didn't get the job btw, it was for school credit.

Edit: Fun Pimps are based in the US, same as me. Don't think that applies here.

Serious question; Do the Fun Pimps offer any kind of Intern program? Not asking for me but I was thinking that it would be a win win situation.

4. They could even help with bug squashing, a staple in their careers to be sure

5. The Fun Pimps can keep the cream of the crop if they want and add them to the team for current/next project

6. Students will come out with a new and healthy respect for voxel based games, who knows what that could snowball into

I have 15yrs of development experience, not in games.. But can I apply for this internship.

not sure of act, but when you use work Slavery, it generally means, the worker is not willingly doing it. If you think all a16 user of game, they are doing testing a alpha software after buying it. Isn't it that slavery ? no it is not, because they are willingly doing it after knowing that it is alpha software. So Internship cannot be seen as slavery. There is vast difference in ethics.

This was answered in those Q&A's MM did a while back. At the moment they are not, for several reasons. 1. They do not have the time to train someone. The team is all focused on going Gold. 2 They are for the most part not working from a centralized location or office. ( Dont know if this has changed since, with the team getting bigger ) .

A17 Feature List: Updated as Developers reveal them!

• Every biome remastered for Unity 2017
  • Game Engine update to Unity 2017

• Directx11 and Vulkan support added

Nooooooooo Wayyyyy!!!!

IF this is real i would Kiss all of you from Fun Pimps!!

Nooooo i cant believe that!!! i cant! ^^

If I don't have a17 this month, i will literally die.

You have the unique chance to write your own eulogy now. Hurry, end of month isn't far off and your demise almost guaranteed.

- - - Updated - - -

They already do that. They call it the modding section.

Spear thrust

What new weapon are you hoping for?

Firearm? The new system will make it possible.

Spear? Still no.

You know. If anyone really wanted a spear or spear like attack. Then you should use the (stone shovel). While it may not do too much damage. That thrust action looks really cool.

Spear thrust

You know. If anyone really wanted a spear or spear like attack. Then you should use the (stone shovel). While it may not do too much damage. That thrust action looks really cool.

Throwing stone axe or shovel as a tomahawk would be such a fun and swearing. If spear is in some day I just hope we dont make zed`s head be like a pincushion, i mean proper damage is needed, but it`s just dreams, yeah.

They allready hired more. But its like making a baby. 1 man can produce one every 9 months. But that doesnt mean 9 men can produce one in 1 month ;) Cheers

but 9 men can produce 9 in 9 months which averages 1 a month... :)

Lots of testosterone on this forum...

(and I don't joke about my wife. She does a lot and puts up with a lot.)

(like a husband who has 3k hours in a single game, and 2000+ games)

Subject = Baby Production. (As a metaphor for game development...)

1 man or 9 men doesn't matter. 0 babies.

1 woman + 1 man = 1 baby per 9 months. (if everything optimal)

9 women + 9 men = 9 babies per 9 months. (If everything is optimal)

BUT

9 women + 1 man = 9 babies per 9 months. (If everything is optimal.)

So, if we infer that A woman represents the game, and the men represent the developers...

Crap. So hiring more developers means what? How long has it been since A17 started? ; - )

Still happens, in fact my cousin just did a 3 month non paid internship for Kaiser hospital.

I don't understand what you are saying because this is how almost all internships work even till this day. She didn't get the job btw, it was for school credit.

Edit: Fun Pimps are based in the US, same as me. Don't think that applies here.

Yeah, it's been a while since British laws applied to the US :-)

I think internships exist in this country although they might actually be illegal, we throw schoolkids into the workplace for two weeks before they leave school but that's as far as it usually goes. The wording of the modern slavery act amuses me because looked at from a certain perspective it classifies low-paid unskilled work such as a fast food cashier illegal. As with most laws in Britain they're largely ignored unless someone makes a fuss. It has been used recently though... about 10 miles North of here.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/hargit-bariana-blyth-slavery-takeaway-14667864

Hmm. I wonder if anyone's done a base design that incorporates structural integrity failures on purpose, as traps. That is, where you can cross a supported segment fine as one person, but when a cluster of zombies all try to cross the same segment, they're too heavy and the structure gives way. There would be something poetic about the zombies' chaotic, destructive nature being the instrument of their own demise.

yep. Done that. (Screamers aid in testing a lot...)

And, caving sections above zombie horde. Gotta have timing just right, for jumping to the next section to collapse...

The graphics/results sometimes get wonky...

But it's really weird when you land on a zombie's head - and none can hit you, and you head jump to try and get away. I believe I've done 3 or 4 heads before I've fallen to the ground.

In Ravenhearst, I've actually landed on the pink reptile, who took me for a little ride... (it was only like 3 seconds, but it was wild. He's waving the sword, doing his sounds... and I'm just cracking up - not even realizing oh my goose is cooked when I fall...)

I actually tried to setup zombie perch to intentionally land on a zombie and ride it around (cuz they do the circle thing) and jump back on the zombie perch.

i have NEVER been able to intentionally land on a (lone circling) zombie. (and I've tried a few times...)

New biome look

Last month Madmole showed us a video about changing biomes around, making the plains biome into a sub biome eta...

I would like to see a video on the new look. That is if it's ready. :)

Here a picture of the black aka dark biome:

Notice the ravens up left and the coal deposit (both should be commonly found in this biome)

Archived