Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

What catches my attention the most in the last video is when Madmole says “Sean’s working on the AI and the pathing right now." I'd be very interested in more detail on what the goal of this work is.

Certain areas of the game, like underground and stilt bases, can't be made engaging, challenging, or balanced with the tools available in Alpha 16. It seems apparent that systems will need to be added or overhauled to fill this fundamental design shortfall. But, in Beta, you don't add or overhaul major systems, basically by definition.

So as the "Alpha 17 = Beta" narrative continues, I have to hope as-yet-unannounced work on AI is geared towards addressing this. There are a lot of things that could go post-release, but I don't think gameplay fundamentals - like engagement, challenge, and balance throughout the game's domain - should be among them.

Hear, bloody hear.

What catches my attention the most in the last video is when Madmole says “Sean’s working on the AI and the pathing right now." I'd be very interested in more detail on what the goal of this work is.

Certain areas of the game, like underground and stilt bases, can't be made engaging, challenging, or balanced with the tools available in Alpha 16. It seems apparent that systems will need to be added or overhauled to fill this fundamental design shortfall. But, in Beta, you don't add or overhaul major systems, basically by definition.

So as the "Alpha 17 = Beta" narrative continues, I have to hope as-yet-unannounced work on AI is geared towards addressing this. There are a lot of things that could go post-release, but I don't think gameplay fundamentals - like engagement, challenge, and balance throughout the game's domain - should be among them.

I remember people insulting me when I took MM seriously a while back when he said A17 is basicay so Id like to say to u all... I TOLD YOU SO...idgets

Question:

Seeing quality levels indication has been cut down to those 6 color coded tiers on guns – Will that be the case for all other item types like tools and clothes/armor too?

And is it safe to assume that's the end of workbench combining?

So as the "Alpha 17 = Beta" narrative continues,

I think the video made it clear (to me at least) that MM has his own definition of the word "beta" and that definition is certainly different to my definition of the word. But that's okay, the "beta" in games development was used in so many different ways the only common meaning left is "not yet finished"

On top of that comes the fact that they decided to not do a alpha/beta turnover in development. They will probably just devote more and more time to polishing and just rule A17 or A18 as 1.0 final. Or after doing lots of polishing in A17 (or A18?) add a minimal beta phase and shove it out the door.

I think the video made it clear (to me at least) that MM has his own definition of the word "beta" and that definition is certainly different to my definition of the word. But that's okay, the "beta" in games development was used in so many different ways the only common meaning left is "not yet finished"

On top of that comes the fact that they decided to not do a alpha/beta turnover in development. They will probably just devote more and more time to polishing and just rule A17 or A18 as 1.0 final. Or after doing lots of polishing in A17 (or A18?) add a minimal beta phase and shove it out the door.

Well.. MadMole says A17 is Beta. So I think he means A17 = Beta = 1.0.. But I guess people will read many different things into his statement, suited to their wishes/views.

Well.. MadMole says A17 is Beta. So I think he means A17 = Beta = 1.0.. But I guess people will read many different things into his statement, suited to their wishes/views.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in the video MM said something like: "We did so many fundamental changes and overhauls and stuff this A17 it is practically a beta". Now I have bad hearing (really), so it wouldn't surprise me if I just didn't understand his words acoustically there. But if it really is what he said, then his definition is clearly not the definition of beta I'm usually using. Also it isn't the one you are using as you define beta as the last version before release.

So I simply choose to ignore that beta remark and when A17 is released I will find out if an A18 or beta will be done next or not.

SInce most of the bits from the videos are testing versions, maybe there is a time to wait. Saying A17 is beta, could be a beta for A17 itself, not the whole game

To be honest, by quoting MadMole in his video (at 12:47 mark), he says "A17 is basically gonna be Beta". And then he talks about that they improved/changed a lot of mechanics. So I'm pretty sure he's not talking about the 'beta-phase of A17', but about A17 actually gonna be the Beta.

So I simply choose to ignore that beta remark and when A17 is released I will find out if an A18 or beta will be done next or not.

Well, if you are going to do something reasonable like that I'm not sure we can allow you to stay on the forums. If you aren't willing to cut one word out of a video of someone just randomly chatting while trying to show you something unrelated in the game and then decide it means the world will end next Tuesday, why are you even here?

To be honest, by quoting MadMole in his video (at 12:47 mark), he says "A17 is basically gonna be Beta". And then he talks about that they improved/changed a lot of mechanics. So I'm pretty sure he's not talking about the 'beta-phase of A17', but about A17 actually gonna be the Beta.

I have your point in my mind too. We are all curious on that and its not worth speculation. All it means is it goes better.

I agree, I'm pretty sure he meant what he said. 7d2d is approaching beta. There are those that look at this as a bad thing. Its not. This is a good thing. The devs are eager to start new projects and the modding community has yet to scratch the surface of what can be done with game mods. I see 7 days staying alive well past beta and I am looking forward to see what game they make next.

With that being said, don't be surprised if alpha 17 doesn't drop til may or later. (Again, not a bad thing.) If they're pushing for beta, there will be lots of detailing to be done. It takes time to polish the chrome and put a few coats of paint on.

I still remember when MM said in 2016 that he hopes the game will be finished by the end of 2017. And we are here, lol :D

I, for one, hope the game is never 'finished'.

I love that it is always a work in progress. Here we are on year 5 and getting a completely revamped game.

I hope in 5 more years they completely revamp it again and again and again.

I love that it is always a work in progress. Here we are on year 5 and getting a completely revamped game.

Lol couldn't agree more. Looking forward to Alpha 51.3

Just for curiosity but if A17 was going to be Beta wouldn't it be called B17 (or B1) instead of A17 as the A stands for Alpha doesn't it?

Didn't you get the memo? The A is for Aldranon's amazing help even when it looks like he's asleep with a little drool running down his cheek.

I didn't get the memo ether... but I'm sure that what it means.

Couldn't disagree more.

I would rather play finished, optimized, bug-free version of the game instead of constantly changing, buggy, unoptomized trash which we have right now.

With that being said, don't be surprised if alpha 17 doesn't drop til may or later.

You make it sound like may would be a late date!? Sorry, dude, last word from Roland is that July is maybe, just maybe a month which could see A17 live. There is still time to plant a tree and father a child.

one-upping months since december 1999 :smile-new:

Couldn't disagree more.

I would rather play finished, optimized, bug-free version of the game instead of constantly changing, buggy, unoptomized trash which we have right now.

I have played many games that were 'finished' and none of them were bug free.

Of course I have never played a game that I would label as 'trash' either. At least not once I labeled it as trash.

IMHO, something/ someone that sees itself as 'done' will become complacent and die.

With all of that said, I agree that it is un-optimised and could be improved and that is why I fully support the changes and updates.

It’s just as I said after the last video. Madmole means beta. After A17 drops they will shift into high gear with optimizing and bug fixing and polishing. New content will be more about fleshing out what we already have and any other missing large features from the Kickstarter list of goals will be pushed to post gold launch.

It’s really just semantics. The devs plan to add to, enhance, and tinker with the game through at least 2020.

If “beta” and “gold” are anxiety inducing words then just think of it like this:

“The devs have finally listened and agree that it’s time after A17 to clean up the code and fix the bugs before adding more feature content to the game.”

I know there is a significant faction of our community that has been waiting to hear those words for years. Well...rejoice. :)

So how close are we to a content lock?

What?

One more time Gazz. How close are TFP's to content lock?

Hey Roland. How close are we to a content lock?

Hey Roland, TFP's. How close are we to a content lock?

Are you blue in the face yet?

Couldn't disagree more.

I have 4882 hours in this "trash" game that I have absolutely enjoyed playing. To me that means if I liked this trash game so much as I do now, imagine how much more I will enjoy it when it is a finished, optimized, bug-free version. Everyone will be different.

Archived