Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Of course that means that spiked clubs will only be found and not crafted as well.....

Wait, so we can forge metals, make rebar frames to build concrete castles that are wired up with electricity, put together motorcycles and DIY traps but can't figure out how to hammer some metal shards into a piece of wood? :laugh:

I do hope that was a joke! :D

If it needs to go that route, then how about something a bit harder to make from your average person, like a stun baton, stun self-defense canes, or even one of those "stun swords"? It would be even more interesting if you had to re-charge them at a charging station powered by your battery banks/generators. That way they can't just stay badass forever, and just sort of become a club (or sword) when they drain.

The guns you can craft will be so basic you won't want to waste the ammo by using it in that gun.

... Sure it can shoot and do damage but it won't be anything special.

This almost makes them seem useless, which if that were the case, it would almost be better to not even implement them. I always liked the idea of crafted make-shift guns being absolutely usable and in some cases quite fierce (like a blunderbuss should be) but counter that with an extraordinarily long reload time and/or accuracy (so long as it isn't just ridiculously inaccurate for the sake of "because it's DIY", since many DIY weapons can in fact be quite accurate). Then of course, they can also be more apt to jam, or at least lose quite a bit more quality after each shot than normal guns.

speaking of quality, I do also wonder if the damage to gun quality ratio is still needed or will ever be changed. That itself never actually made sense to me since a particular sized bullet coming out of ... lets say a brand new hunting rifle from Cabella's, and then another bullet coming out of the same rifle after having been used for about a year or two, are both going to be doing the same damage. I could understand that if the guns are not kept well that they can jam and accuracy may suffer, but the bullet still has the same amount of gunpowder in it as before. It's going to project that bullet tip at the same speed as prior so long as the barrel length is the same. Entity Damage (especially those with soft flesh and organs, be them dead or alive) should not be affected. Thoughts?

useless loot?

keep absolutely everything. it can all be used to your advantage.

scrapping it gives you resource.

repairing it gives you xp

mostly if you are playing a long term game that utilises all of the concepts tfp are offering then at some point you are going to really want a stack of x

oil is what i am lacking most of the time to make repair kits to upgrade weapons. so oil and shale are key. to make oil from shale you need cans. i never scrap cans.

keep it all!

i think the true art of balancing the game is when the player has to seriously think about what they do with each resource they are presented with.

which is amplified by lack of portable inventory space...

useless loot?

keep absolutely everything. it can all be used to your advantage.

scrapping it gives you resource.

repairing it gives you xp

mostly if you are playing a long term game that utilises all of the concepts tfp are offering then at some point you are going to really want a stack of x

oil is what i am lacking most of the time to make repair kits to upgrade weapons. so oil and shale are key. to make oil from shale you need cans. i never scrap cans.

keep it all!

i think the true art of balancing the game is when the player has to seriously think about what they do with each resource they are presented with.

which is amplified by lack of portable inventory space...

I agree. For some reason I hoard everything in this game. Empty cans are saved, I used to throw out paper until I saw how effective well placed shotgun turrets were.

Its a side game for me to have 1000's of cement mix ready to fix any hoard attack damage and having a thousand jars of murky water is just enough! lol

I hope crossbow (or an upg to the t1 ) and the compound bow will be able for weapon mods to. Btw if 1 class is atm the quality then how will repair work? It mean workbeanch comb is gone? Or its only weapon quality changing? Im realy curious how will tis implemented, i hope some who can "lift the shroud" will enligt me in constructive way in this ;)

When I first started playing 7D2D, I remember that I enjoyed being able to craft guns.

But now that I'm a more experienced player (1600+ hours) I really enjoy the hunting aspect of this game,

that I have to go out in the world and find stuff. Those "wow I got a sniper rifle in that supply crate" moments are the best.

I like to be surprised. The Fun Pimps has never failed to entertain me, and I'm sure whatever decision they have made for A17; some will complain some will enjoy. I think we should wait and see how it all turns out.

But please, don't mess with my blunderbuss, lol. That is the first thing I craft. The buff it got in A16 was perfect, that gun is actually quite useful now and it raises your shotgun skill, which I think is quite nice :)

funny, but more i read into this thread more i realize that lack of new videos and stuff from devs is our own fault - just read comments and ask yourself - if you were dev would you want to release more info when you know that all will change many times before final release and same time people just are jumping and commenting on HP bars and other stuff while video devs released was about completely different stuff.

So true! So very true!

People demand videos of unfinished stuff but criticise the content as it was finished product. Schizophrenic behaviour...

What about legendary items. Since we got so much addons, there could be added rare ones, so you go sweat and sware 8km backaway, to bring your golden pants.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi pls ewryone know, date of reles Alpha 17?

or time? weeks or moths?

THX

Summer of 2018 will be better time to ask. Devs heads are steaming, so its worth the wait. As always :) Hell I am hyped.

on gun crafting and mod NOTcrafting:

You cannot craft mods, they will be found in loot, treasure, quest rewards, and possibly secret stash. They don't need tiers since we aren't limited on item ids anymore, that means more specifically named mods that might do similar things but with wildly different side effects. This is more horizontal so it didn't make sense to have one thing be T1 and another be T2 when they aren't technically better than the other, they just share a common main stat. This means you won't be looking for a purple mag extender. You'll be looking for a 45 round AR banana clip, 20 round extended pistol clip, etc. One variant may cause it to randomly jam (jerry rigged some crazy spring system to allow for it) while another might alter the kick from the change in weight. Just two examples off the top of my head, nothing that's put in as such yet. I exposed a LOT of variables so we have tons of things to mess with.

We have a progression system that we have put a lot of design work into for a17. You won't be crafting high tier items in week 2, not without sacrificing on improving something else early on. You'll be allowed to focus on just grinding up your intellect/crafting skill all you want. But doing so means not improving your max stamina, max hp, melee abilities, tool usage, etc until later on. So sure, you'll be able to make nice guns but you'll be crap at handling them until you start putting points into that too.

You definitely won't be swimming in exactly what you want. We've always been pretty good at keeping that from happening.

The Rate of fire mod in the video was a 200% fire speed. It was simply for showing off what the new systems are capable of and you likely won't find a mod in vanilla that would make the pistol fire 600 rounds per minute. Showing a slight difference in speed isn't all that exciting but even a small bump in RPM, say 60, means another round of X damage per second. So numerically it adds up faster than visually hence cranking it up to 11.5 for the video. :)

/mini_data_dump

Kinyajuu, thanks for the explanations. Not sure some of these changes will be better but no way to tell until in game.

One thing.... and it’s a pet peeve of mine so take it how you want but unless you have old weapons there are NO CLIPS for these guns ! They use magazines... :fat:

Either way thanks again for providing some idea of where A 17 is headed.

Cool. Can I ask where you have this info from? Because I don't see it on the first post here, in the list of upcoming changes and introductions.

I too never heard on smell, but I believe AI is been working on currently, and if Zombie AI is set/worked upon for change it will/have chance of complete overhaul as other parts, so smell, hearing ability, vision anything can get change with rewritten AI. If AI just get fixed, then surely they fix smell on old AI, but hints were provided for complete rewritten AI, so it might will get changed and work. My Guess.

One thing that I would like to point out when upgrading any gun to fully automatic. Watch your ammo.

I learned that the hard way playing Fallout 4. I had a gun that seemed like I would never run out of ammo because it was so plentiful. But I upgraded it and burned though a few thousand rounds pretty quickly.

Although part of the problem was the damage stats were lowered and it was harder to control while firing.

Archived