Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Since they only show finished, or pretty close to finished, content now, how would anyone, long-time player or brand new, have ANY basis for deciding whether A17 content is underwhelming?

One can only compare what one has seen. On that we can agree, I hope? If so; the content of A17 which has been shown up until now is, in my (perhaps not-so-humble) opinion, underwhelming as compared with the A16 development cycle.

If there are big features unannounced and unpresented, than this might change of course.

If.

Joel has shown some of the flashy bits.

The framework and tool changes are more important to both TFP and the game like how animations have events or sounds attached at specific spots during the anim or how prefabs carry individual conversion tables for block name and ID or how one could extend selected and otherwise dormant effect groups from one item to another or the changes to the server browser or level editor.

All of that would have been a monumental waste of video time because it would have meant something to a very small handful of players.

Do you really think DaVegaNL is interested in rich ground systems built layer upon layer? :smile-new:

i have a feeling it will be a lot cleaner if an experimental than what A16 was lol, I have faith in the developers

Does that mean learning from history is a thing of the past?

When you are pretty damn sure all the underlying features are complete, or near complete at least.

Edit: In reality it will be when the lead developer says it is time. Sometimes that matches what I've been saying and sometimes it doesn't.

That would make sense yes. However, this assumes a semi-linear development lifecycle (first early-game content, then mid-game content, etc.). I'm not sure the development of 7D2D follows such a pattern, since it more resembles a sinoidic pattern.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you really think DaVegaNL is interested in rich ground systems built layer upon layer? :smile-new:

As a geologist, generally, yes :p

For Factions you can have a huge spread of types:

Pacifists: You might find them underground or high up in buildings. They might be the first people that ask you for help.

Neutrals: Most numerous faction type. Don't mess with them and they wont mess with you. Would ask you for help if things got really bad.

Bandits: Just give them the caps and your firearms and they would let you live, most likely.

Slavers: No mercy, like locusts they will clear the map of all other factions given time.

Purifiers: Usually insane and will eat you and at some point kill you. Just a step above zombies.

Edit:

Late game: New world Order: They know what you really are and are determined to kill you at all costs. The Duke has been ordered by "creatures" far strong than him to end you or the entire map will be nuked into a glowing wasteland!

One can only compare what one has seen. On that we can agree, I hope? If so; the content of A17 which has been shown up until now is, in my (perhaps not-so-humble) opinion, underwhelming as compared with the A16 development cycle.

If there are big features unannounced and unpresented, than this might change of course.

If.

C,mon you gotta admit the main menu rework is pretty badass. It was video worthy!

As a geologist, generally, yes :p

I said it as a joke, but to get serious for a moment: I think these changes to the underlying structure and xml-capabilities are 10 times as important for the overall quality and longevity of the game. Not only for the mods but for every feature that TFP builts upon it. Just as a reminder, they obviously use the xml themselves for high-level features and being able to create and debug one high-level feature in 2 weeks instead of 2 months makes a lot of difference.

I didn't do much modding, in fact there is no finished mod from me anywhere to be found. But I tried to implement a mod to change how farming works. 7D2D mod capabilities are really easy to get into, but on the other hand it is obvious that a lot of the code below the xml was developed just enough to support the one feature it was supposed to handle. Try to use it for something else and you soon find out that a lot of the xml has hidden dependencies, quirks and limitations.

Examples of this are the ammunition boxes found in some mods that give you 30 to 50 bullets of a caliber you select. The modders (apparently) had to use an intermediate ammo box because the xml couldn't handle giving 30 bullets directly to you after selecting the quest reward even though the syntax for handling it is available, it just doesn't do the expected (I'm guessing here, correct me if I'm wrong)

My farming mod also didn't get very far: If you look at the XML, there is an obvious syntax which would give you two different items when you harvest a plant (for example the food and a seed). If you try it you find out that the xml can't handle this general case, because the code underneath it was just developed far enough to handle the case 7D2D uses in vanilla. Sure, maybe this is only a bug or my xml-foo is just too sketchy, but my take on this is: The underlying framework while very powerful has a real need for a clean-up.

Without the boring tech gibberish features the cool flashy features are not happening.

Does that mean that nothing useful is produced? Where do I even begin...

Those are all awesome things that will make this game way better than is possible today. The changes open up so many more possibilities and cool things that I can't wait to see where we go.

It amazes me how many people here do their best to try and bait TFP by being so insanely rude and stupid with their comments. Haven't they heard it isn't smart to slap the doctor before he puts you under for surgery? Or, are they just that ignorant to the ways of the world...

Those are all awesome things that will make this game way better than is possible today. The changes open up so many more possibilities and cool things that I can't wait to see where we go.

It amazes me how many people here do their best to try and bait TFP by being so insanely rude and stupid with their comments. Haven't they heard it isn't smart to slap the doctor before he puts you under for surgery? Or, are they just that ignorant to the ways of the world...

I read your post and it really got me thinking. I've come to the conclusion you have the best name, ever.

house-under-construction-picture-showing-wooden-framing-for-two-storey-home.jpg

"I'll bet the wallpaper is going to be hideous." - Some of you guys.

"Those windows leaning up against the wall and those HVAC parts are totally video worthy." - Same guys.

"Can't they spend the next week cleaning up all the scrap wood and trash and sweeping off the foundation to make it look really pretty and then get back to adding plywood and stucco to the walls?" - Some other guys

"Those windows leaning up against the wall and those HVAC parts are totally video worthy." - Same guys.

"Can't they spend the next week cleaning up all the scrap wood and trash and sweeping off the foundation to make it look really pretty and then get back to adding plywood and stucco to the walls?" - Some other guys

...can that garage hold my airship? Where is the zombie bear crew quarters? - Some wise guy. Very wise.

I don't see anyone working on it.......

Just because no one is working on it doesnt mean its not being worked on.

Only items that are finished and those that will be included in the actual house, will be shown....maybe next week....watch for the progression bar of the new TFP headquarters.

Only items that are finished and those that will be included in the actual house, will be shown....maybe next week....watch for the progression bar of the new TFP headquarters.

what are you talking about. link it if it doesnt the 5 years old kickstarter list please

Oh....so.....they're building cabinets that don't close and they'll be there next Friday between 8:00 and 5:30 to install them. Good deal.

Archived