Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I love the Gyro, I just hope it doesn't kill exploration aspect. There needs to be some balancing off-set, like huge gas usage or fast battery depletion :)

I think if it is made of components you only acquire late game and if it doesn't have a huge storage container it is already well balanced.

You can check places out, but when you loot and mine lots of stuff, you'll still have to bring the jeep to transport all the goods.

im listening to the games sounds and its incredibly hard to discern where the zombies and animals are coming from and how far away they are.

Question in A17 is there any work going on toward spatial sounds and being able to tell which area the sounds are coming from as i am assuming that most gamers would have even the most basic stereo headphones

thanks for your time

bump

im listening to the games sounds and its incredibly hard to discern where the zombies and animals are coming from and how far away they are.

Question in A17 is there any work going on toward spatial sounds and being able to tell which area the sounds are coming from as i am assuming that most gamers would have even the most basic stereo headphones

thanks for your time

I think it sort of works already. I can usually tell where a zombie is or even a boar if they make a sound but they have to be a ways away from me (maybe 12+ blocks?). If they are close it seems to be very hard to tell.

Everyone is focusing on the story or the gyrocopter....who cares....we have probably 10-12 systems in game or being implemented that are a mess. I would rather get actual systems working as intended...if even possible ....then to have a back story.

You're alone and naked...survive. oh and don't get killed by the infected people that want to kill you. Story done.

Next....

Everyone is focusing on the story or the gyrocopter....who cares....we have probably 10-12 systems in game or being implemented that are a mess. I would rather get actual systems working as intended...if even possible ....then to have a back story.

You're alone and naked...survive. oh and don't get killed by the infected people that want to kill you. Story done.

Next....

Yeah the gyrocopter is all nice and well, but it does not contribute much to the game. Many systems desperately need updating, and it is currently unknown if/when they will receive any more attention.

A back-story would be okay-ish in my opinion. What I would prefer much more are random radiant quests. Something to keep the game interesting.

Please' date=' Please! If you'll add this stupid street using mouse, make a option to turn on normal, cormofrtable control by WASD keys[/quote']

He switched back and forth between normal key steering and mouse control. I think he left clicked while driving to toggle but I may be wrong about that part. I am sure he did switch back and forth.

Yes but where are the pistons in 7DTD?

This may sound like a silly response, but it carries a meaningful message. Which is:

7DTD does not offer as many things to build, to invent, to craft, to desing as Minecraft.

where are the towns to loot in Vanilla minecraft? where are the hunting rifles? the sniper rifles? where are the traders? where are the 7 day hordes? not talking mods that can add stuff. where are the blade traps? the dart traps? the electric fences?

you cant really compare them at all. they have vastly different game play concepts. minecraft mobs cant even knock down a wooden door!

no hate on minecraft, my kids and i had 100's of fun hours building things , exploring the world.

i would actually say there were many more things to craft in 7DTD than minecraft. there are certainly many more blocks to build with than minecraft so i dont see how you justify yor statment.

I think if it is made of components you only acquire late game and if it doesn't have a huge storage container it is already well balanced.

You can check places out, but when you loot and mine lots of stuff, you'll still have to bring the jeep to transport all the goods.

If you cant find one in a garage, then hopefully in some special POI. I don't think a single person could make helicopter blades.

If you cant find one in a garage, then hopefully in some special POI. I don't think a single person could make helicopter blades.

...or carry tons of concrete. Oh snap, i should not go there... :)

Finding or buying the blades at the trader would be fine as well. Secret stash lvl 3, and it's already behind reasonable gate...

- - - Updated - - -

Please' date=' Please! If you'll add this stupid street using mouse, make a option to turn on normal, cormofrtable control by WASD keys[/quote']

They will have settings for vehicle controlling.

The setting will live in the new vehicle controls tab.

The thing is it [story] looks far from being done and by the sound of it, won't be in the beta version either. Now if they prove me wrong by adding most of it in just a couple of alphas, I'd be very glad to see that.

About "seeing that", there may be auxiliary reasons you won't see anything of the story before it is completely finished. Developing a story in the open isn't without drawbacks. One drawback is that all players in EA who don't succeed in ignoring it will get the story in pieces and most likely never finish it because they are feed up with it long before the story is finished.

But the big reason for TFP to not put parts of the story in any alpha- or beta-version is that they want the option to finish the story after release. if that happens, they would either have to rip out the story-parts for release again or have an obviously unfinished story in the release version. THAT would not look very professional and I think they will want to avoid that.

So my guess is that any part of the main story that can't stand on its own will not be seen in any alpha or beta version until the whole story is done.

Exactly! No gyrocopters or tanks or .....survive or death...KISS mentality always works.

Once fancy ♥♥♥♥ and magic buffs and stuff get in...games suck ass.

Just depends on how you balance it.

Don't mind the techno- and magophobe, we sheep are looking up and will accept any cool tech with happy faces, dances in the streets and public floggings of dissenters

He switched back and forth between normal key steering and mouse control. I think he left clicked while driving to toggle but I may be wrong about that part. I am sure he did switch back and forth.

Yeah, though when its actually released it'll be bound to a different button. They just have it bound to the left mouse for testing purposes.

...flushing out a plot...

Sounds like Guppy’s specialty!

The game could go beta after A17. Heck, they could call the next release Beta 1.0 instead of Alpha 17 making the current A16 the last alpha.

Whoa, let’s not get carried away here. The way I see it, there are two kinds of non-Beta things left to do.

An example of the first kind would be water gameplay. What we have now could definitely be further developed, but the game can still work with water in its current state, perhaps with some tweaking of the numbers for swimming speed and fatigue and whatnot. Similarly, traders could work with the current magic invincible walls and teleporting, even though it’d be disappointing. Post-release updates could take these features from good enough to awesome.

But the second kind of thing left to do is the features that are necessary to support existing features. I know I harp on this a lot, but I have to reiterate. If the game ships in a state where the player can’t even opt to play without any loopholes that make the Blood Moon horde meaningless, TFP will have shipped a broken, unfinished game.

The Blood Moon horde isn’t going anywhere at this point. It’s not feature creep like you could argue painting and electricity are: it’s a must-ship-with feature. You couldn’t leave Blood Moon hordes out until a post-release update: it wouldn’t be 7 Days to Die anymore. So this concept needs to work at release.

But to actually deliver on the Blood Moon horde concept requires the addition of other features. We’ve discussed what the loopholes are and plenty of different solutions for them in great detail, but most all of them require more than just tweaking numbers in existing systems (or else mods could probably suffice). Genuinely new or overhauled features are required, and since they support a must-ship-with feature, they should be added during Alpha like other such features (because that’s what Alpha means).

That’s why talk of leaving Alpha imminently alarms me. Everybody may disagree on what goes in that second list of things to do, but I don’t think anybody expects that list to be empty after this Alpha.

Ugh. Can you believe' date=' that IT'S just an Alpha version? I can't imagine how cool game will be after release[/quote']

That's actually going to cause The Pimps a big problem with the current users. Because the game is so polished, when it is released, people will not have that wow factor. It will just be... Over.

CC illustrates that through concern.

My kids played Minecraft for a long time and even my wife played it some for a while (she's not really into gaming except on her iPod). I gave up on it long before my kids did because I wanted more than just to do creative things and solve the same "quest" line over and over again.

That's where 7DTD comes in. It's like Minecraft except it doesn't give me the whole "World of Q*Bert" feeling. It looks good (enough, that is) and I can modify the hell out of it to suit my changing needs and whims. This forum is a great place to get an idea of what to change and why and only a few of you are total dweebs (you know who you are!).

:p

Ditto for me. MineCraft may not have a 'story mode' but it does have some 'goals'. (Nether, Dragon, etc.) But, once you have complete the 'story' you can go through again maxing difficulty... But, Creative is way too expansive for me. (Especially when you see what others have done.) I prolly have about 1000 hours in MC, but I have 3000 in 7D2D. And it's only in Alpha!

Having said all of that I am breaking MC back out cuz I am so sick and tired of waiting for A17 (lie! which is coming out on April 17th...) I want to try MineCraft with RailCraft (trains!) and BuildCraft. (Because 7D2D doesn't even have any tracks, let alone trains, or boats... but it's got gyrocopters. Whatever. All HUMOR my friends!)

And, as Guppy pointed out, I like MineCraft, but 'Story Mode' is not an imperative. I might try it sometime, just to see what it's like and to have an informed opinion. Although I'll wait for a really good sale...

7D2D. $20. 3000 hours. My favorite game of all time. (I have played hundreds. And still have all the boxes, etc.) And it's only in alpha. And, maybe I've only been around since A15, and don't have too many voiced opinions, because if you pay attention - you can sense how much this game means to the people that are building it. And to those of us that consider it an honor to be involved in something so incredible.

And, guppy, I do worry a little about how much of this polish I have experienced - but, that just means Jax's (and others - aren't you doing something medieval?...) mods will just be that more polished!

And, maybe, just maybe, I can play a bigger role with 7D2D2.

These are some of the things i would love to see in the future

1. Power Ratchet - To be on par with the Auger or Chainsaw for ripping apart electronics.

2. Hooking Turrets up to Monitors - To Manually Control a Turret from inside your base.

3. Gas Pockets Underground - Wouldn't be a bad thing to have natural gas underground or even pools of oil to collect.

4. 3 Wide Spikes - We have spikes that can be placed one at a time, but what about some that are 3 wide or even 5 wide to place down to save time from placed each square.

5. Lighting Grass of Fire - Would Make clearing the Ground Easier

6. Oil Drilling Rig POI - We have factories where we get a ton of gas, why not oil pumps and refineries to find lots of oil? Maybe even oil barrels added to the game?

7. Remote Control Car Bombs - We can build jeeps and gyrocopters, why not a remote control car with tnt on it?

8. More Guns - I would love to see a Musket, Full Auto Pistol (Attatchment Maybe), A Single Shot Assault Rifle With a 30 Round Clip would be cool.

Those are my Thoughts for some cool stuff in the future, Let me know what you Guys and Gals think. And Roland, your opinion is always either funny or awesome. :smile-new:

Archived