Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

ummmmm....

how do i have a go at this gup?

sounds like your stuff is what ticks all of my boxes...

only ever played vanilla so dont know how to play mods....

be gentle the rest of you, i am a sql wizard at work but dont invest too much intellect into the custom side of gaming...

a how to link will do

That's where it gets compliated. =) Right now we're just building prefabs, so I have a prefab server up and running for that purpose... actually installing the mod requires some know how, because it's not packaged prettily yet. Go to the servers thread and find my server, the details are on there.

Oh, and um, "Go Gyrocopters!"

@Roland, so are bandits definitely pushed back?

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe we could get spell casting zombies with pointy hats?

It's funny you mention that, because a dude named Telric just made his first character model with animations, and he has a pointy hat and casts spells. Won't be in the mod, but it's pretty cool. :)

I'm glad that the fun pimps have decided to take a more minimalist view towards the main story line. The point of role playing is not in the story but character.

Most RPGs are more like an interactive movie than anything else.

You know once apon a time there was a good guy, he kills the bad guy, the end. repeat generously until bored. Seriously a computer bot could probably be trained to do play it just as well..

however In this game you are the hero and the story is the one you create. If TFP decides to give some help along the way with support characters that's just a bonus.

thanks Fun pimps

Fan for life.

I didn't know about that and that's quite unfortunate but understandable. Then again, having only a part of the story in the game is not the end of the world, since like many players I do tend to stop doing the main quest before finishing it in such games as I mentioned. New players may start with it, but then go on to do other things in the game, so there might not be a need to have all of it right away. They could add the story divided in 2 or more chapters for example.

The thing with 7 Days is the focus is on PVE much more than on PVP, though. Honestly, if I had to choose between a full storyline and new AI for zombies and serious bug fixes, I'd choose the latter. But the fact is most players will start a solo campaign. Just watch some YouTube videos of new players getting into the game. Finding a multiplayer game is not what they will do first. I don't think PVP is all that good in 7 Days, because that's not what the game is about.

You're doing it again. You are assuming what you would do or what people you follow on YouTube would do is what "most" people would do. If TFP added a decent PvP mode, the number of people that play that would be significantly larger than the people that play single player. Look at all the games that offer both but end up being known for their multiplayer. CoD, Battlefield, Halo all have great single player campaigns but most gamers play multiplayer and some do not even touch the single player on those.

I would love a great story option. I would prefer it is coop and not single player. But you keep stating your opinion as facts which drives me nuts, even if I want the same thing as you.

aurelies (forgive spelling i am going from mental screen shot as i am on phone atm)

ha ha ha ha ha ha! best laugh ive had in weeks.

gup

ill get the kids onto it right away.

maharin ( again excuse spelling if it is wrong) very very close second in the laugh stakes

you guys are all nuts :-)

You're doing it again. You are assuming what you would do or what people you follow on YouTube would do is what "most" people would do.

I would love a great story option. I would prefer it is coop and not single player. But you keep stating your opinion as facts which drives me nuts, even if I want the same thing as you.

I'm not assuming anything. I do know for a fact most new players go for the single player story first, hence why there's almost always such a mode in games. It's simply the logic thing to do in the first place. You don't jump online right away when you have no idea what the game is about unless you are forced to, like in an MMO.

I don't even really care to have a great storyline: I only want a main quest leading players through the game. I'm not asking for epic cutscenes with an incredibly complex scenario here, like most people are posting about. A simple, single player quest to follow a definite objective in the game. The story itself could serve as an excuse for that, that wouldn't even be a problem.

Going gold frees them to start on their Next Big Thing. It would also get the game optimized and balanced which is sorely needed. They aren't going to charge extra for things that were promised for the base game. When they launch the kickstarter for their next game they won't be thinking about any lost funds they could have gotten for DLCs for this game.

I will be as close to the front of the line as possible to join that kickstarter.

I know this is not an A17 topic, but since you mentioned it AND its probably on everyone's mind: What is the next TFP project, in general terms?

That's my guess too... now I'm wondering what the next game is.

They will probably leverage what they learned from 7D2D.

Maybe a prequel: "7 Weeks to stop the Apocalypse!" - You know what will happen if you fail! No one believes you, except for the New World Order, who will stop at nothing to erase your memories and leave you naked in the zombie wilderness! You know how that ended for you! Hijack a Goodyear blimp (airship) and save the world!

..or a Sequel: "7 Years to Live! - The world is dying! Only you have what it takes: The Airship, the first settlement, the airship, a skilled crew of zombie bears! For your Airship!

Maybe a prequel: "7 Weeks to stop the Apocalypse!" - You know what will happen if you fail! No one believes you, except for the New World Order, who will stop at nothing to erase your memories and leave you naked in the zombie wilderness! You know how that ended for you!

..or a Sequel: "7 Years to Live! - The world is dying! Only you have what it takes: The Airship, the first settlement, the airship, a skilled crew of zombie bears! For your Airship!

For as much as MM talks about Skyrim, I'd put money on it being a fantasy based game. I know a lot of people are itching to see such a beast; me, I'm "meh" about something like that - but if they started work on something cyberpunk.... Altered Carbon or Bladerunner-esq... I'd probably hitch my horse up to that kickstarter post.

-A

Doubtful. There is usually quite a backlash when "next project" is announced before "current project" is completely done. Whenever even just fans speculate about the next TFP game and no developers are even involved in the conversation you always get a couple of grumps that post "I think they should finish this one before we start talking about the next one!"

Yeah, usually because players think of TFP as an entity.

TFP is like one person and can only effectively work on one thing.

It's just that it doesn't work like that...

TFP consists of multiple people and not all of them can even work on 7DTD at all times. I mean what would a concept artist do when the game is approaching beta? Think about it...

I know this is not an A17 topic, but since you mentioned it AND its probably on everyone's mind: What is the next TFP project, in general terms?

The player is put into a game world and a number of computer-controlled entities attempt to prevent the player from completing certain goals.

For as much as MM talks about Skyrim, I'd put money on it being a fantasy based game. I know a lot of people are itching to see such a beast; me, I'm "meh" about something like that - but if they started work on something cyberpunk.... Altered Carbon or Bladerunner-esq... I'd probably hitch my horse up to that kickstarter post.

-A

I've become a fan of Altered Carbon. The possibilities of a dystopian future similar that are not that far off.

It would have to be a terrible choice for a new game to NOT sign up for a TFP early access. :)

The player is put into a game world and a number of computer-controlled entities attempt to prevent the player from completing certain goals.

...and certain rewards and/or penalties may or may not pertain to said goals! But Airships will always be involved, I think we can all agree to something so obvious...

Maybe a prequel: "7 Weeks to stop the Apocalypse!" - You know what will happen if you fail! No one believes you, except for the New World Order, who will stop at nothing to erase your memories and leave you naked in the zombie wilderness! You know how that ended for you! Hijack a Goodyear blimp (airship) and save the world!

With vampires. And werewolves (not swearwolves).

...and certain rewards and/or penalties may or may not pertain to said goals! But Airships will always be involved, I think we can all agree to something so obvious...

I think you need airships to fit the traditional definition of a game, actually. Rules, objectives, win conditions, loss conditions, and airships. That sounds about right.

I mean, can you name a game without airships? If so, is it really a game, let's not kid ourselves.

I think you need airships to fit the traditional definition of a game, actually. Rules, objectives, win conditions, loss conditions, and airships. That sounds about right.

I mean, can you name a game without airships? If so, is it really a game, let's not kid ourselves.

Sir, you are wise and perceive just how wrong games without airships are. I'm sure people are just pretending to have fun... to be polite.

Ah... funny you mention that. Since the first video MM posted for A17 was concept arts, but then says it's basically beta?

Meh. A wise person will wait and see how things turn out, unless you know its arc or trajectory.

What do we know about TFP's arc?

-MM doesn't quit and is somewhat of a perfectionist.

-TFP seem committed to making their name a symbol of quality.

-The recent hiring of new talent underlines a long term focus.

Those alone should give most people satisfaction that 7D2D will not end up a half-baked product once all TFP efforts are completed.

In response to 10681: Yes. For them it's in name only but for the public it means something. "frees them up" simply means "go public" instead of developing behind closed doors.

In response to 10685: Yes. And there's a good PR reason for that.

In response to 10687: You are just the latest in a long line of goofballs worrying that the devs will abandon this game. It hasn't happened and it won't happen.

In response to 10690: Promises promises....

In response to 10699: I don't know yet. I hope not.

In response to 10704: What Gazz said.

In response to 10713: they're definitely cruising along. You didn't notice how quickly they went from concept art to fully drivable jeep? Doubting the Pimps can be....faatal....

I promise never again. But the Trolland within said "At least once..."

/Thank you Xeen

Meh. A wise person will wait and see how things turn out, unless you know its arc or trajectory.

Those alone should give most people satisfaction that 7D2D will not end up a half-baked product once all TFP efforts are completed.

This in a nutshell - well said.

-A

I sincerely hope that bandits and a better NPC/zombie AI gets added before going Beta/Epsilon/Gold. Since they are main features of the game, being alluded to ~2 Alpha's ago, and they would have a hard time optimizing/streamlining the game in Beta without these features.

All true...

But the real reason some choose to vent their unfounded frustrations here, is not based on much thought I believe. It's just an easy place to vent with no personal consequences...

Others may choose this approach of negative commenting, to try and force a response from a dev (we all know this feeling, but most of us are adults enough to resist it).

All in all, the proof lays in the wording...

Most of the post saying stuff like: "why are you not done yet?", are clearly written by people who have absolutely no ideas what it takes to create a game... And with limited funds and manpower, at that...

What makes these posts dumb in my book, is that they attack what they don't understand...

You didn't notice how quickly they went from concept art to fully drivable jeep? Doubting the Pimps can be....faatal....

I promise never again. But the Trolland within said "At least once..."

I actually didn't notice, so good point. No doubt about how faatal they can get with vehicles now for sure. The thing is, it's the rest I'm concerned about.

Trolling a troll is all good, so troll away Mr. Trolland haha.

Alpha 17 is beta, and by all rights SHOULD have been a sequel there is so much work being done.

Madmole said A17 is beta right here

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?74084-Developer-Diary-Alpha-17!!!&p=788414#post788414

As well as alluding to it in the video about Gyrocopters

Thanks Jax! :)

Apparently there is some confusion in this about the game going gold.

Notice that Madmole is talking about Alpha 17 not 7D2D.

Basically it means that TFP's are finished with adding content to the latest alpha and are now testing it.

But don't hold your breath, this testing will take awhile and will be some time till we see any new content in the game.

Archived