Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I just can't see it being immersive if you choose the shape when you place it instead of when you craft it. To me, that seems worse than changing a metal reinforced wood block into a concrete block which YOU have always been critical of.

Can a meta tag be used to decide if a block looks one way vs another way? Lets say I just swallow the bile in my throat and agree to just craft a "master frame" (whatever that's supposed to look like) and then when I go to place one I call out loudly, "Form of....wedge!" and then when I place another I proclaim, "Form of....pillar!" so that I transform the master frame into those two different shapes on the ground in front of me.

I don't see it as destroying immersion at all.

I mean, after all, these frames are each a meter cube - and you can carry lots of them in your inventory. So the obvious conclusion is that you aren't carrying them as cubes already fastened together at the corners. Clearly you're carrying the cube as a dozen long thin bits of wood - sticks, if you like - and you put them together to form the large cubic frame when you place it.

So there's nothing wrong with putting them together in a different way to form a ramp or other shaped frame at the time of placement. You're still using the same sticks that you were carrying. The crafting of the frame represented the making of the sticks, not putting them together into a cube.

So clearly a "master frame" looks like a bundle of sticks.

Sequel? For that? It already worked in his demo... That'll be another prefab killer, please find out more. =)

LMAO... everything works in unity editors including the high ram usage as many have heard him comment on, and they are able to work on things in editor and it not be in actual game build.

Well wasnt that spose to clear/free up block ids so we weren't left with such a stupid low amount of free blocks. Because mm had mentioned he was gonna work something out to sort out the ridiculously low block id count.

They definately need to sort the block ids. Because 2047 isn't enough. And there are still alot of block shapes missing, needing to be added etc to. So where does that solve the block of problems.

Maybe if the block ids had 2 xmls. 1 for actual blocks like the ramps. Wedges. Blocks. Glass etc and the other for the nitty gritty stuff like trees. Rocks etc all the other clutter.

Or just increase the block id limit to like 10 000 lol or what ever. Which would give plenty of ids for all that be needed by the pumps to add the extra block stuff as well as for modders.

Also if the block selector doesn't fix the block id problem then the block selector tool would just be a waste and wouldn't solve anything but rather hinder and slow game play/prefab building.

I'm betting that they will ultimately increase the block id limit, Stallion. Even if the block selector doesn't help with block ids it will still help de-clutter the recipe lists by quite a lot. They will also make choosing a block faster since you'll never have to search lists for the shape you want. You will just press a button that will bring up a grid of all the possible shapes and choose the one you want. It should streamline things quite a bit.

If they go to Tea's idea of having a bundle of planks or sticks instead of a frame block and have us choose the shape at the time of placement then that will in fact free up inventory space as well....at least until you realize you placed a bunch of different frames you didn't need and then have to pick them all up...lol

I don't see it as destroying immersion at all.

I mean, after all, these frames are each a meter cube - and you can carry lots of them in your inventory. So the obvious conclusion is that you aren't carrying them as cubes already fastened together at the corners. Clearly you're carrying the cube as a dozen long thin bits of wood - sticks, if you like - and you put them together to form the large cubic frame when you place it.

So there's nothing wrong with putting them together in a different way to form a ramp or other shaped frame at the time of placement. You're still using the same sticks that you were carrying. The crafting of the frame represented the making of the sticks, not putting them together into a cube.

So clearly a "master frame" looks like a bundle of sticks.

Thats how i allways thought of it.

You’re saying we have sticks in the game? ;)

Okay. I can get behind that conceptualization but it still wouldn’t reduce the block ids would it?

Probably would not.

Meta sticks...

....at least until you realize you placed a bunch of different frames you didn't need and then have to pick them all up...lol

...back to meta sticks (master blocks)

I'm betting that they will ultimately increase the block id limit, Stallion. Even if the block selector doesn't help with block ids it will still help de-clutter the recipe lists by quite a lot. They will also make choosing a block faster since you'll never have to search lists for the shape you want. You will just press a button that will bring up a grid of all the possible shapes and choose the one you want. It should streamline things quite a bit.

If they go to Tea's idea of having a bundle of planks or sticks instead of a frame block and have us choose the shape at the time of placement then that will in fact free up inventory space as well....at least until you realize you placed a bunch of different frames you didn't need and then have to pick them all up...lol

Why is there a block ID limit to begin with?

Council_of_Elrond.jpg

Bahaha whom told you of our secret face to face meetings lol.. this was spose to be SECRET......KNEW WE COULDNT TRUST guppy lol

- - - Updated - - -

Why is there a block ID limit to begin with?

Because then modders could go to town and make things before tfp get to haha .... I joke I joke lol.

It's getting hard to keep track of all the new stuff but we're getting some amazing framework changes in to support diversity and random generation in so many spots.

And none of that is very good for showing off in a video so *shrug*.

No, but all of this would look very beautiful if written down in some documentation files. Sure, the XML semantics are a moving target, but at the moment XML.txt is smelling a bit of old fish.

I just don't want to be one of the Wonder Twins when I'm building....

You are already one of the Wonder Twins when you create wood frames while simultaneously shooting at zombies, or upgrading blocks with a stone axe, or combining two weapon barrels (each just one solid steel piece) to get a better one.

@R oh make no mistake I'm against the shape selector, I'm purely being selfish and want to know if I can start on my medieval prefab pack without worrying whether or not I have to start from scratch later. =)

...ideally the block limit count is raised. Shape selection is stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

I just want to know which of them (us?) is the cross-eyed dwarf?

I'm the statue.

@R oh make no mistake I'm against the shape selector, I'm purely being selfish and want to know if I can start on my medieval prefab pack without worrying whether or not I have to start from scratch later. =)

...ideally the block limit count is raised. Shape selection is stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm the statue.

What if it means you get sticks back?

I’m the son of Evangeline Lilly Elf and Good Looking Dwarf Dude. I’m in there somewhere, thanks to Peter Jackson.

Look at prominent EA examples like PubG or DayZ (or Ark, Rust and others). An EA game is hyped so you will find 80% of those buying will be early adopters buying right in the first weeks. That's where the cash flow is. Further development down the line will only see comparably little money trickling in and actually further development might even be a loss business.

"hype" is sometimes just a synonym for "word of mouth". People buy X because their friends play it and recommend it. And these people recommend it to other friends ...

Many of the games mentioned above probably sold really well only after reaching a level where you got enough fun out of them for the money they cost.

PubG probably is such a case, AFAIK it was in a pretty good shape already when the hype started. And when a friend recommended 7D2D to me, it was at version A15 and I really can't complain about having payed too much (I did back it on kickstarter but until A15 never tried it out).

Factorio is a case where I know (from an interview with the developers) that their sales in the first year of EA were negligible. Only after some improvements (one was just redoing the graphics of trees after a friend told them how terrible they looked) did word of mouth multiply the userbase. And it needed further versions with major improvements to make it into the a bestseller.

I really doubt your "80% buy it in the first 4 weeks" is generally true. EA works (mostly for PvP games though) and it is an interesting development model if you want to make a game without any big money behind you. If you produce a bad game, your cash reserves will soon dry out as there is no word-of-mouth generated for it. If you produce an excellent game word-of-mouth will provide a steady income to finance the development.

"hype" is sometimes just a synonym for "word of mouth". People buy X because their friends play it and recommend it. And these people recommend it to other friends ...

Many of the games mentioned above probably sold really well only after reaching a level where you got enough fun out of them for the money they cost.

PubG probably is such a case, AFAIK it was in a pretty good shape already when the hype started. And when a friend recommended 7D2D to me, it was at version A15 and I really can't complain about having payed too much (I did back it on kickstarter but until A15 never tried it out).

Factorio is a case where I know (from an interview with the developers) that their sales in the first year of EA were negligible. Only after some improvements (one was just redoing the graphics of trees after a friend told them how terrible they looked) did word of mouth multiply the userbase. And it needed further versions with major improvements to make it into the a bestseller.

I really doubt your "80% buy it in the first 4 weeks" is generally true. EA works (mostly for PvP games though) and it is an interesting development model if you want to make a game without any big money behind you. If you produce a bad game, your cash reserves will soon dry out as there is no word-of-mouth generated for it. If you produce an excellent game word-of-mouth will provide a steady income to finance the development.

descarga.jpeg.09c1da457cbb69d457e55ff3a91cb4ef.jpeg

Bahaha whom told you of our secret face to face meetings lol.. this was spose to be SECRET......KNEW WE COULDNT TRUST guppy lol

- - - Updated - - -

Because then modders could go to town and make things before tfp get to haha .... I joke I joke lol.

I mean, I could have asked another, more relevant question instead. For example: Why do the zombie strippers have perky nipples? Are the cold or something?

Archived