Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I sincerely hope you’ll have to someday.

It’s a promise Roland. It is stupid and won’t be balanced. You can’t get it right.

- - - Updated - - -

You tell me EXACTLY to the MINUTE a meat goes bad in the desert. In the winter biome? Tell me those values. Love to hear how storage boxes on the snow are worst than the sand.

Ergo TFP adds biome logic to meat spoilage.

Mean while.

Vehicles fall through the world. Still.

I don’t have 60 FPS.

No occlusion.

Don’t have xpath evaluations inside of modlet setters.

Don’t have localization fixes for modlets.

Don’t have any clear direction on how mods will work with steam workshop.

Don’t have any idea how mods even work at all after next release

SURE maybe they are Superman and get it all done in a nice tidy bundle.

If you think food spoilage timers are trivial then go add a mod for it. They aren’t.

It’s a promise Roland. It is stupid and won’t be balanced. You can’t get it right.

- - - Updated - - -

You tell me EXACTLY to the MINUTE a meat goes bad in the desert. In the winter biome? Tell me those values. Love to hear how storage boxes on the snow are worst than the sand.

Taking about storage box, if you freeze your meat while storing and keep it freezed up, it never spoil. at least not for days. Technology is bitch :p

When you remove an item that someone spent time gathering/harvesting/making solely based on an arbitrary timer, you lose something in the game people don’t understand why.

Why don’t my rocks and clay disappear? Oh it’s ok wasn’t on a “timer”.

What’s a “timer” and why did I work for hours to find a boar and skin it only to lose the meat?!

Well it was on a timer. DUH!

Taking about storage box, if you freeze your meat while storing and keep it freezed up, it never spoil. at least not for days. Technology is bitch :p

Days? Raw frozen meat (as long as its stored at 0 degrees F consistently) will not spoil, ever. After 1+ year it might taste a little off, but wont get you sick. Can only possibly get you sick if temp fluctuates and it defrosts and gets refrozen.

I am very confused by Stasis's comments. Rocks and clay cant poof because they dont spoil? Who said anything about biome specific temps controlling how long the meat lasts? Why would your meat get hot in the snow biome even that was part of it? I saw nobody mention that logic but you (unless i missed something here) Very confused.

I am not really for or against the spoilage. It would just add one more thing I need to craft asap (a couple refrigerators, or maybe early game ice chest you can add snow to) And I would craft and eat my meat products first, while saving canned food or dukes for emergency food shortage. So what If even some meat spoils... Have you seen the vending machines and trader?... pssht.

Days? Raw frozen meat (as long as its stored at 0 degrees F consistently) will not spoil, ever. After 1+ year it might taste a little off, but wont get you sick. Can only possibly get you sick if temp fluctuates and it defrosts and gets refrozen.

So you get my point, that in practical it is possible to get non spoiling food, game is already lacking so many better feature adding this spoilage of food i not suggested. I better use the resource we save from timer to get 2 more zomb in horde.

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to see food spoilage.

As of now; food (and water) is barely a problem 99% of the time. Might as well not have food at all..

even if food spoil, I don't see it as problem. In my 20th day in game, I haven't cook after day 7, and buying food from vending machine, 2-3 stew or pie are easily found and they keep me going for 24 game hours, then I found another vending machine and more food. Plus I got farm going on, I am just mainly using it for aloe vera bandage. no real need of it. got 400+ meat uncooked why bother cooking.

<snipped for space>

A food spoilage timer will not cost two zombies, nowhere near it. It would barely be a blip on resource usage. It's not like we're counting every single bacteria per second here.

This is a survival game, says so in the title up top there. If food isn't a problem in a survival game then that in itself is a problem with balancing. Survival has been pretty well worked out for a few millennia now and even comes with a handy list of priorities.

Air.

We're on Earth so not normally a problem in real life except when swimming, mining, or being choked.

Water.

This should only be an issue in the desert or if you're really unlucky. The amount of glass jars scattered around is ridiculous though, it's as though plastic water bottles haven't been invented in the 7dtd universe.

Food.

More importantly, food that is fresh and hot. Warm food is easier to digest than cold food. Even a simple cup of coffee after a night on a mountain can be a glorious experience.

Shelter.

Whether the weather be rain or sun you need some sort of cover to weather the weather. Apologies, we get a lot of weather in this country.

Something to do.

Shoot something in the head. In game? Shoot something in the head. More seriously, the amount of random skills I've picked up from hippies, cos-players, and people in general is ridiculous. I do not do bored. :-)

For food spoilage to actually have an impact, it would need the acquisition of food to follow a particular pattern.

If you find food in small amounts but reasonably frequently, food spoilage is a complete waste of time - because you will always be able to eat recently acquired food. This seems to be how the game currently works. You find a couple of tins when looting, or hunt a single animal every couple of days, or have a farm where you can harvest a small amount each day, or buy small amounts from a trader.

Food spoilage won't add anything significant to the gameplay with this pattern of food acquisition. You'll be eating food soon after getting it, and none of it will hang around long enough for spoilage to be a factor.

Where food spoilage would make a big difference is if the game were designed so that you found large amounts of food but only rarely. Then, the issue would be that when you find a pile of food you'll temporarily have much more food than you need; but you must make it last long enough that it doesn't spoil long before you find your next large amount.

But that's not the way the game works, and it would take quite a fundamental redesign of the looting/trading/farming system to make it work that way.

Unless that redesign is done, food spoilage mechanics aren't worth adding in my opinion.

A food spoilage timer will not cost two zombies, nowhere near it. It would barely be a blip on resource usage. It's not like we're counting every single bacteria per second here.

This is a survival game, says so in the title up top there. If food isn't a problem in a survival game then that in itself is a problem with balancing. Survival has been pretty well worked out for a few millennia now and even comes with a handy list of priorities.

Air.

We're on Earth so not normally a problem in real life except when swimming, mining, or being choked.

Water.

This should only be an issue in the desert or if you're really unlucky. The amount of glass jars scattered around is ridiculous though, it's as though plastic water bottles haven't been invented in the 7dtd universe.

Food.

More importantly, food that is fresh and hot. Warm food is easier to digest than cold food. Even a simple cup of coffee after a night on a mountain can be a glorious experience.

Shelter.

Whether the weather be rain or sun you need some sort of cover to weather the weather. Apologies, we get a lot of weather in this country.

Something to do.

Shoot something in the head. In game? Shoot something in the head. More seriously, the amount of random skills I've picked up from hippies, cos-players, and people in general is ridiculous. I do not do bored. :-)

You make good point, but with all those vending machine, farming, spoiling food won't make a difference. As I said, I have 400 meat in my stock and I never cooked it after first horde night, as I can easily buy it. I eat all canned food I found, yes it give some illness temporarily, but save me to cut 2 extra tree to burn for food.

You make good point, but with all those vending machine, farming, spoiling food won't make a difference. As I said, I have 400 meat in my stock and I never cooked it after first horde night, as I can easily buy it. I eat all canned food I found, yes it give some illness temporarily, but save me to cut 2 extra tree to burn for food.

The current system is not definitive, it needs balance. Part of that balancing is the amount of food found vs the amount of food used. If you have too much food coming in and you can stockpile it indefinitely there's no way you're going to run out.

Reducing the amount of food found and having the stockpile deplete over time will encourage players to get out of their base more unless they put the effort into farming. Combine this with a simple system requiring occasional supervision of growing plants, such as the possibility of disease, and you have a far easier time of balancing everything food related. The player must put effort into making a steady food supply.

It also means that tinned food would most likely be stored for emergencies which would lend an air of realism through logical game mechanics.

I would love to just ONE day come in here and read about a new challenge being added, and people get excited for said challenge.

Yet on a daily basis I keep leaving disappointed. Keep rocking 7 Days forumers. Do your thing. Don't let anyone tell you you do not like a challenge. YOU know better and that's all that really matters :)

I would love to just ONE day come in here and read about a new challenge being added, and people get excited for said challenge.

Yet on a daily basis I keep leaving disappointed. Keep rocking 7 Days forumers. Do your thing. Don't let anyone tell you you do not like a challenge. YOU know better and that's all that really matters :)

Never stop giving up!

One thing I've noticed is the item comparison feature displays differences opposite of how I'm expecting.

Example:

I'm wearing a cowboy hat with:

Cold Resist 4

Heat Resist 13

There is a plant fiber hat in a container with:

Cold Resist 1

Heat Resist 7

When I select the plant fiber hat it shows me this, with the +X numbers in green:

Cold Resist 1(+3)

Heat Resist 7(+6)

Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/QjHnEzP.png

I was expecting that the stat comparison would display the stat difference if I equipped the selected item, like this:

Cold Resist 1(-3)

Heat Resist 7(-6)

Archived