Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Just need some advice, I have one forge, one fire... I am in a POI with a few torches around.

I am getting at least two screamers a day coming to my POI.....................

Is there something else I am doing causing this ?, with what I have the heat issue should not be that much.

i have yet to see a screamer in a17

normally i take over the poi that has a balcony all the way around and a gunsafe on the bottom floor. just seems the right size for me...

then dig down on an incline to bedrock and open a small room up. forge goes there once i get one.

upstairs on top floor are fire workstation chemstation and cement mixer. no torches as miner helmet is absolute priority 1. cant hit them if you cant see them.

Spitballing here. But when bandits are introduced, wouldn't it make sense to give the bandits the AI the zombies currently have in A17 and give back the zombies the old pathinding from A16?

That would be a pretty bad idea for several reasons, the first of which is that the old pathfinding utterly sucked. :-)

Bandit AI should be an extension of zombie AI. The pathfinding should use the same system to prevent duplication of code.

Don't mistake pathfinding for how the entity actually gets there, the latter is largely a matter of the character controller.

Don't mistake pathfinding for behaviour. The current zombie behaviour is mostly wait-patrol-attack without any weapons. I'd expect a bandit to do that as a last resort. More intelligent behaviour is still planned with behaviour trees as far as I know, I've yet to be corrected. Behaviour trees provide a far better system for logic, reasoning, and teamwork but that's largely unnecessary for zombie.

Reading between the lines re; Blood Moon Horde 'Warning'. Guessing some would like -no- warning that 'tonight' it's a Blood Moon?

That might be an easier option to add; change when sky goes red and thunder starts to X hours before Blood Moon.

"Blood Moon Warning Option, hours prior to Start= 0, 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8"

I have a small issue/complaint on the New Game UI. (It can also apply to the world editor in Editing Tools)

Everytime I make a new RWG world, and I had a bunch from the first a17e to current stable, the selector for Nav and RWG adds a "blahblah county/mountain/valley/etc" name to the list. After a bit the list got super long and I didn't know one from another, that generic name isn't very memorable or unique. Also if you want to trim a large list there is no way to delete them except going into the game folder (\7dtd\data\worlds\).

It would be nice if it told you more details; like the seed used, the date / version is was created on and had a delete button.

Given all these options, it would be great if there could be some pre-defined sets of these and others, such as "Classic Mode", "Horde Mode", "Builder's Paradise", "Arcade Frenzy", "Romero Walkers", and so on that we could select.

+1 for this, I totally agree that this would be better from a player perspective. Sometimes a lot of options is just overwhelming.

On a related note - would it be possible for modders to determine these values, or disable them entirely? Some mod overhauls might only "work" with some settings (example: non-fixed horde night intervals). By "work" I mean "this mod is designed to be most enjoyable this way, others will be OP/borked."

In regards to animal spawns.... and the working of probs.

The spawn rate is horrid of animals. There is very little animals in the world.

On a side note the way probs work in this game is borked it works as I guess a minimum but please tell me you are gonna get it be working at max effect not how it currently is.

I mean like if a entity has a prob of 1 all should spawn. If an entity has a prob of 1 and another has a prob of 0.5 then the 1 will def spawn the 0.5 has a half a chance at spawning. At present it seems the game calculates and goes nope none are spawning

What we need in future is "Survivor Radio".

After you found the parts and build a radio you can hear Music and if a Hordeday happens you get a Warning arround 16:00.

"Hey Naveszgane, we have reports of a Huge Horde heading towards you. Close your windows, lift your Drawbridges and load your guns,.."

+1 for this idea as well. (The community has a lot of good ideas lately!)

EDIT: Anyone remember "They Hunger," the Half-Life mod? The radio station in that was pretty cool, from what I recall.

In regards to animal spawns.... and the working of probs.

The spawn rate is horrid of animals. There is very little animals in the world.

On a side note the way probs work in this game is borked it works as I guess a minimum but please tell me you are gonna get it be working at max effect not how it currently is.

I mean like if a entity has a prob of 1 all should spawn. If an entity has a prob of 1 and another has a prob of 0.5 then the 1 will def spawn the 0.5 has a half a chance at spawning. At present it seems the game calculates and goes nope none are spawning

what I did was expand the animals that spawn in their groups category.

I added friendly to enemy animals spawns and enemy to friendly and added what friendly were missing etc. then I eliminated the ones I thought should not go with what biome and gave all a prob of 0.XX usually giving the smaller animals (chicken rabbit snake) higher #'s for all but did not exceed a total of 1.0

example

enemy animals snow

dire wolf Prob 0.15

wolf Prob 0.20

rabbit prob 0.35

stag prob 0.10

doe prob 0.20

total Prob 1.0

what I did was expand the animals that spawn in their groups category.

I added friendly to enemy animals spawns and enemy to friendly and added what friendly were missing etc. then I eliminated the ones I thought should not go with what biome and gave all a prob of 0.XX usually giving the smaller animals (chicken rabbit snake) higher #'s for all but did not exceed a total of 1.0

example

enemy animals snow

dire wolf Prob 0.15

wolf Prob 0.20

rabbit prob 0.35

stag prob 0.10

doe prob 0.20

total Prob 1.0

In the tests I have done and from feedback it keeps changing and is not consistent. For example i get a bear a snake a few boars/pigs a few stags and does in an hr of play another person gets 4 or 5 wolves and bears lol.

I did also add enemy animals to non enemy animal groups and vice versa and same results

In the tests I have done and from feedback it keeps changing and is not consistent. For example i get a bear a snake a few boars/pigs a few stags and does in an hr of play another person gets 4 or 5 wolves and bears lol.

I did also add enemy animals to non enemy animal groups and vice versa and same results

Yeah Its a pain......

My Example is just an example you can mess with it more and change the Probabilities to be even lower

like Zombie bear Prob "0.001" or even 0.0001 the lower the rarer the spawn you can even keep the total under 1.0

so its like this

enemy animals snow

dire wolf Prob 0.001

wolf Prob 0.01

rabbit prob 0.25

stag prob 0.05

doe prob 0.15

Total prob 0.461

or with leaving the invis. in

enemy animals snow

invisible animals prob 0.25

rabbit prob 0.25

dire wolf Prob 0.001

wolf Prob 0.01

stag prob 0.05

doe prob 0.15

Total PRob 0.711

This is more of what I do then the previous example.

just do not go over total 1.0 as the spawns really become excessive.

You NEED to put in prob's for everything or it is prob 1.0 by default

Yeah Its a pain......

My Example is just an example you can mess with it more and change the Probabilities to be even lower

like Zombie bear Prob "0.001" or even 0.0001 the lower the rarer the spawn you can even keep the total under 1.0

so its like this

I don't think it's the spawn rate at fault otherwise the number of animals spawned would be consistent from day 1 to day 5. What we're seeing is a reasonable amount of spawns for the first 24 hours which then drops dramatically for about a week. Exploring new areas will apparently help you to find animal spawns.

It gets to the point where on day 1 you _must_ kill every animal you see or risk running out of fresh food after the next few days.

If I had to guess I'd say the animal respawner counts every spawned animal as dead once it's despawned for any reason, unlike zombies who seem to respawn as soon as you re-enter the area. You then have to wait until the respawner would add a fresh animal before they'll spawn again. This explains the sudden drop-off after the first day, the exploring of new areas allowing for spawns, and the increasingly random location of animal spawns thereafter.

Any chance we will see the following soon?

2. Ability to dye/change underwear? more options like going naked or other underwear options

You know, I'd previously have been all for it, until in one of our recent games where we had taken over the "Bear Trap" as a base. At night getting stuff done, and I turn around and see my brother stripped down to his skivvies in one of the cages doing about the best rendition of twerking you can in game. Can't unsee some things 😆

For the animal respawn bits; don't forget there's the "respawndelay", typically set to 7 days for animals.

spawning.xml

<biome name="pine_forest">
	<spawn maxcount="2" respawndelay="4" time="Any" entitygroup="ZombiesAll" />
	<spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="7" time="Any" entitygroup="EnemyAnimalsForest" spawnDeadChance="0" />
	<spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="7" time="Any" entitygroup="FriendlyAnimalsForest" spawnDeadChance="0" />

so a couple of questions?

1. Has any one had an issue with their base partially resetting, aka a part of the base disappearing as if it where never built?

Only time I'd seen that was in 16.4 where my computer literally just went dead (had to replace it shortly thereafter), but apparently it was in the process of editing the data of my current chunk that half of my base was in. So the world automatically rebuilds that bit (literally about half the POI reset to original with unlooted containers and all that), and I lost half my base including most of my storage. I'm curious if something is corrupting or not finishing the updates of specific chunks which would be causing the resets? Maybe even the disappearing vehicles people have reported?

so a couple of questions?

1. Has any one had an issue with their base partially resetting, aka a part of the base disappearing as if it where never built?

2. Has any one had an issue in day 100+ bmh not spawning in with 8 people on the server, if so how was it fixed?

1. There is a forum thread about this issue, FP are looking into it so hopefully it will be solved soon, it happened several times on several servers. https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?104906-Chunks-on-land-claims-resetting-completely-ruining-bases

If you have any more information about it feel free to share.

2. It did not happen to me (I did always get zombies, but sometimes not as many as I would hope), but there are some server settings regarding max zombies alive and max zombies per player. Sometimes you could get like 20 zombies per entire bloodmoon, which would be rly unlucky. If there are multiple groups and some of them have problems clearing their zombies (for example if 1 group has 60+ zombies alive nearby no more zombies should spawn for anyone else, and potentially if that group is killing their zombies rly slowly with some inefficient way it could lag server and spoil BM for everyone else), it seems to me that if too many players are online for BM solution could be if they would be together right now, or at least form larger groups and try to kill zombies as they are coming to you. Also as far as I know vultures are taking zombie places so if you have a base where they cant get to you and you are not killing them it could lower number of zombies you would get.

Edit: It just reminded me 1 blood moon few weeks back, where there were around 12 players online in 3 groups. 2 groups got like 20-40 zombies per entire bloodmoon, and 1 group had around 80 zombies alive all time (I teleported there and typed "le", after more then half bloodmoon passed I went to invastigate what the hell is happening). They were camping on larger POI with bows surrounded by zombies.

I don't think it's the spawn rate at fault otherwise the number of animals spawned would be consistent from day 1 to day 5. What we're seeing is a reasonable amount of spawns for the first 24 hours which then drops dramatically for about a week. Exploring new areas will apparently help you to find animal spawns.

It gets to the point where on day 1 you _must_ kill every animal you see or risk running out of fresh food after the next few days.

If I had to guess I'd say the animal respawner counts every spawned animal as dead once it's despawned for any reason, unlike zombies who seem to respawn as soon as you re-enter the area. You then have to wait until the respawner would add a fresh animal before they'll spawn again. This explains the sudden drop-off after the first day, the exploring of new areas allowing for spawns, and the increasingly random location of animal spawns thereafter.

I believe the animals are just like the Zombies where once you clear them out they do not respawn for a few days as long as those chunks remain loaded.

I can also tell you that I have seen fewer animals around my base while I remain in proximity building etc.... But I have never seen NO animals at all.

Once you unload and reload again... I do not know exactly what happens.

I have seen a bear a fair distance away and every time I went there it was still around. I know it was loaded and unloaded.

I never really looked into the code on the animals but I would bet some like the Bear are saved in those chunks while others are not.

- - - Updated - - -

For the animal respawn bits; don't forget there's the "respawndelay", typically set to 7 days for animals.

spawning.xml

<biome name="pine_forest">
	<spawn maxcount="2" respawndelay="4" time="Any" entitygroup="ZombiesAll" />
	<spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="7" time="Any" entitygroup="EnemyAnimalsForest" spawnDeadChance="0" />
	<spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="7" time="Any" entitygroup="FriendlyAnimalsForest" spawnDeadChance="0" />

Yeah like this..... I thought so.

Thanks for the find FileMachete.

1. There is a forum thread about this issue, FP are looking into it so hopefully it will be solved soon, it happened several times on several servers. https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?104906-Chunks-on-land-claims-resetting-completely-ruining-bases

happened to me too , added here

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?104906-Chunks-on-land-claims-resetting-completely-ruining-bases&p=939421&viewfull=1#post939421

<snipped for space>

We appear to be having different experiences possibly due to different play styles.

I've seen re-spawning boars and bears, I've had to rescue my equipment from under the nose of a few, but this doesn't seem to happen during the first week.

I've tried this a few times. See a deer or something on the first day, try to track it down the next day and it's nowhere to be found. I have little doubt they're supposed to spawn like zombies but something is borked between day one and day five. It's possible I seem to think five days instead of seven because that's when I generally go scavenging for better equipment and thus start spawning new terrain.

Archived