Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

No need for other players. In SP there are some POI locations with too tough enemies on day one. This is what people said they wanted: Locations with higher difficulty and better loot for a true risk/reward system.

So...will players see that sleeping irradiated cop in the attic of one of those houses on Day 1 and back away slowly marking it on their map for later and think, “Wow, that’s awesome” or will they charge in and die and then rant about it on the forums...?

What’s behind Door #2 Johnny?!

Count me in the I want it group. Uncertainty will make looting POI's more exciting. Getting a lucky find or pushing the looting skills for a great weapon/mod, will not guarantee anyone the ability to clear out an entire area with ease.

Very rarely would someone have a need to pick up their vehicle and put it in inventory.

The main instance being if you die way out in the sticks and have to do a CR and you have to hop on a minibike so you don't have to walk for miles to go get your jeep in which case you can just empty out the inventory of the minibike before you leave your base so lets not make a mountain out of a mole hill here.

I've seen a lot of people concerned about how vehicles will be crafted in A17. IE no longer having "parts" but using "materials" to craft. Some are also concerned that it will be immersion breaking or cheesy to be able to pick up the vehicle in your backpack.

Isn't this the same mechanic that has been used for years on forges, workbenches etc? I can't recall any #gates about how cheesy it is to pick up your forge and carry it across the map.

Now I for one hope that the materials needed to craft a vehicle remains engines, tires etc and not generic mechanical parts and iron. But the difference between placing my fully constructed vehicle in my backpack is no more immersion breaking than disassembling and placing an entire engine and 2 tires in my backpack pack is.

The bicycle is:

<recipe name="vehicleBicycleChassis" count="1" craft_area="workbench" tags="learnable">

<ingredient name="resourceForgedIron" count="5"/>

<ingredient name="resourceMechanicalParts" count="2"/>

<ingredient name="resourceDuctTape" count="2"/>

<ingredient name="resourceLeather" count="2"/>

</recipe>

<recipe name="vehicleBicycleHandlebars" count="1" craft_area="workbench" tags="learnable">

<ingredient name="resourceDuctTape" count="2"/>

<ingredient name="resourceLeather" count="2"/>

<ingredient name="resourceMechanicalParts" count="1"/>

<ingredient name="resourceMetalPipe" count="6"/>

</recipe>

<recipe name="vehicleBicyclePlaceable" count="1" craft_area="workbench" tags="learnable">

<ingredient name="vehicleWheels" count="2"/>

<ingredient name="vehicleBicycleChassis" count="1"/>

<ingredient name="vehicleBicycleHandlebars" count="1"/>

<ingredient name="resourceMechanicalParts" count="1"/>

</recipe>

Once you assemble a vehicle you shouldn't be allowed to pick it up again and put it in your inventory.

I would agree, but there will be times when the game strait up breaks and your vehicle will be stuck (mostly) through no fault of your own. For now I'm okay with the ability to pick it up with maybe a timer to discourage it from being taken advantage of. Later when the game is more polished this feature could be removed and replaced by something more balanced.

Here are 2 more pieces of music that I enjoyed for 7 Days.

First one is the theme song that a player put words to. I think he did a great job.

The second is a fan made trailer in which he used a song (with permission). It's more upbeat but seems to work well with it.

Also a lot of people got a kick out of how the characters hips seem to go in time to the music a lot of the time. Plus it's from a very early alpha (2013)

No need for other players. In SP there are some POI locations with too tough enemies on day one. This is what people said they wanted: Locations with higher difficulty and better loot for a true risk/reward system.

So...will players see that sleeping irradiated cop in the attic of one of those houses on Day 1 and back away slowly marking it on their map for later and think, “Wow, that’s awesome” or will they charge in and die and then rant about it on the forums...?

Holey underwear Batman! (I've waited months to use that line)

A change I can agree with and something that adds difficulty, will wonders never cease?

I seem to remember a lot of people having a problem with the whole n00b in a town full of veterans scenario when sleepers were first introduced. They were unable to loot buildings because of the high level zombies spawned inside. If that's often by design now then essentially the problem should be unnoticeable to a large extent.

I would agree, but there will be times when the game strait up breaks and your vehicle will be stuck (mostly) through no fault of your own. For now I'm okay with the ability to pick it up with maybe a timer to discourage it from being taken advantage of. Later when the game is more polished this feature could be removed and replaced by something more balanced.

ok, normally id just scroll on by but this one is bothering me to no end.

Strait:

a narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two other large areas of water.

STRAIGHT:

Good...I am sick to death of all this "lazy" game design coming from Bethesda and other companies...where EVERYTHING , EVERYWHERE levels with you...such a stupid design decision . Glad that wont be the case here...

If you want to stop nerd-poling just remove the ability to place a block while jumping, you then _have_ to build a staircase to climb anywhere.

How many times have you tried to hammer a nail in while airborne?

Update: Yeah, you can still nerd-pole alternating between two blocks as you climb but at least it'll slow people down and the extra tedium is negative reinforcement conditioning in this scenario.

I personally never use "nerd poling" because I consider it one of the biggest cheats. I think removing it would be beneficial.

For example, in my opninion, hiding in underground bunkers is not an exploit (like I've heard other people like to say), but using nerd poling to build them is.

If frames required nails, and sticking frames to one another required MORE nails, it would be awesome...

Pimps spend a lot of time fixing non issues, when this glaring abuse of exploit stands there laughing at us...

that's funny, last time I played it was with Valmod and nails were a required resource to build wood frames, an upgrade them to higher wood tiers, of course once you went past wood tier into metal or stone you needed other resources.

I wish they would take the ability to jump on wood frames away. Using them to get over walls or to get onto a roof feels like cheating.

- - - Updated - - -

I see people talking about realism, but I never see people mention the ability to carry a ton of stuff without worry of becoming overweight.

I wish they would take the ability to jump on wood frames away. Using them to get over walls or to get onto a roof feels like cheating.

- - - Updated - - -

I see people talking about realism, but I never see people mention the ability to carry a ton of stuff without worry of becoming overweight.

I don't think they will take that away, because it'd make base building even more of a chore than it already is. You can do what I do: don't use nerd-poles, its the players choice to exploit something like that. I haven't even used nerd poles to like check distant poi's like ever because I feel its cheating, there is 0 risk involved with it if you make sure you killed the zombies around.

What they could do is, make it a tad more annoying to do, like, make wood frames like flagstone blocks, once placed you have to destroy it to get rid of it. Sure wood frames are 1 shots but it'll still annoy some people enough they might do it less. However this is not really a fix, as you can nerd pole straight up using ladders as well, same for climbing on roofs etc.

Yes, we have... at great length. Just not recently as it is known that realism isn't a priority, especially not to that extent.

A survival game being too realistic makes it less fun for the larger portion of players, Take project zomboid for example, its very realistic and I hated the game because it just wasn't any fun at all. Your char can get scared, have ocd, and a ton of other mental conditions they are set when you spawn and can't be changed best you can do is manage them. The problem is sometimes you spend more time managing those conditions than you do anything else in the game, its why I refunded it.

I personally never use "nerd poling" because I consider it one of the biggest cheats. I think removing it would be beneficial.

For example, in my opninion, hiding in underground bunkers is not an exploit (like I've heard other people like to say), but using nerd poling to build them is.

What alternative do they have I mean sure they could put scaffolding into the game but then you would have to build the scaffolding then put it up then build the wall or what ever you are building and then tear down the scaffolding, it's just too tedious, time consuming and quite frankly ridiculous, it's just too much realism and takes away from the whole point of the game which is to have fun.

Good...I am sick to death of all this "lazy" game design coming from Bethesda and other companies...where EVERYTHING , EVERYWHERE levels with you...such a stupid design decision . Glad that wont be the case here...

I generally don't like that either. There should be difficult places that if you go there too early, you get trashed.

With the higher difficulty pois, how does one get better loot out of it when loot tables are controlled by gamestage?

...seems half complete, unless leveled loot is gone? And if so, how does the game determine "better loot"?

Having a POI use this: TempGameStage = GameStage + AreaBonus

The AreaBonus can be a POI or a Biome. I think I ether recommended this or agreed with someone who did. Regardless, its a good idea as a example, a modder could make all waste biome's very scary places! :)

***Edit: I guess if you did it with biomes too you would need this:

TempGameStage = Gamestage + POIBonus + BiomeBonus

That could literally make some places Hell on earth! :)

Archived