Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

The parkour perk has changed. It is no longer an incremental percentage of jumping. Perks in the tree now grant different abilities and one of those is just an outright ability to jump two blocks high. Should be fun.

My suggestion to Joel was to remove nerdpoling and make the fifth tier of parkour the ability to nerdpole but he didn't listen to me. He's obviously passionate about nerdpoling... <--This is a joke.

yep.

If you want to stop nerd-poling just remove the ability to place a block while jumping, you then _have_ to build a staircase to climb anywhere.

How many times have you tried to hammer a nail in while airborne?

Update: Yeah, you can still nerd-pole alternating between two blocks as you climb but at least it'll slow people down and the extra tedium is negative reinforcement conditioning in this scenario.

I've seen a lot of people concerned about how vehicles will be crafted in A17. IE no longer having "parts" but using "materials" to craft. Some are also concerned that it will be immersion breaking or cheesy to be able to pick up the vehicle in your backpack.

Isn't this the same mechanic that has been used for years on forges, workbenches etc? I can't recall any #gates about how cheesy it is to pick up your forge and carry it across the map.

Now I for one hope that the materials needed to craft a vehicle remains engines, tires etc and not generic mechanical parts and iron. But the difference between placing my fully constructed vehicle in my backpack is no more immersion breaking than disassembling and placing an entire engine and 2 tires in my backpack pack is.

I've seen a lot of people concerned about how vehicles will be crafted in A17. IE no longer having "parts" but using "materials" to craft. Some are also concerned that it will be immersion breaking or cheesy to be able to pick up the vehicle in your backpack.

Isn't this the same mechanic that has been used for years on forges, workbenches etc? I can't recall any #gates about how cheesy it is to pick up your forge and carry it across the map.

Now I for one hope that the materials needed to craft a vehicle remains engines, tires etc and not generic mechanical parts and iron. But the difference between placing my fully constructed vehicle in my backpack is no more immersion breaking than disassembling and placing an entire engine and 2 tires in my backpack pack is.

I agree 100% with you here. Honestly it felt like being a grease monkey working on your ride in the garage, and with the extensive overhaul with the buff system I think now they are better equipped to make the various parts more meaningful and fun. Each piece of a vehicle could be designed to do something meaningful now. I also think it's really important to have something like the gun modification system on vehicles as well, and being able to paint them different colours would actually really help players on pvp and multiplayer servers. Stuff like spot lights, front and rear mounted rams, bladed hub caps, gun turrets, noise maker/siren, and anything else you can think of.

How cool would it be to have multiple jeeps with clan colours having high speed shoot outs with other clans, plus guys on bikes weaving through the battle firing off hand guns and stuff. This should be totally possible and would make this game head and shoulders above any other zombie survival experience!

That being said, I think they should just finish their current plan for vehicles just to get a17 out now at this point, it's been long enough and I think everyone just wants to experience all the new content they've already added. If they really expanded the vehicle system in a18, and did something similar to what you and I have suggested here I think it would really help their games popularity.

The parkour perk has changed. It is no longer an incremental percentage of jumping. Perks in the tree now grant different abilities and one of those is just an outright ability to jump two blocks high. Should be fun.

If zombies cant jump 2 blocks then Parkour is a "WOW!" Otherwise, depending on the abilities, it will be OK.

The Jump skill can be level 5 (needing max attribute), as its potential can make 7d2d an extremely exciting and wild game! :D

I cant wait to carry my jeep to the roof of a sky scraper and launch off the top! i might even build a ramp up there just to get more air.

why carry it? just drive it up the stairs O.o at worse, wedge ramps but i assume stairs/ramps will do. roadkill them sleepers while you're at it

now we need monster trucks to tear through buildings

Preferences differ for sure. I can contrast two games I play. Empyrion, with the bike there that you place, pick up, place, and pick up. Carrying an extra bike or two isn't an issue. You drive somewhere then pick it up and continue. Convenient. Does somewhat ruin immersion.

7DTD A16 - Drive and dis-assemble. Now my inventory is definitely filling up. There's no way I'll be carrying an extra 1-2 minibikes around "just in case", that'd not take 3 slots, it'd take most of my slots.

7DTD A17 - Fly somewhere in my gyrocopter... land.. pick it up, place my jeep, drive off, get out, pick it up, place my motorcycle... drive around, pick it up, place gyrocopter and fly home.

Now some might not find that immersion breaking. It won't get better as we get rafts, boats, submarines, air-craft carriers or space rockets, I got plenty of pockets in my jeans to store them all :p

So yeah, I do see a problem with "pick up" vehicles. Having to dismantle into 5-10 pieces will at least take up lotsa inventory space and make it more immersive.

7DTD A17 - Fly somewhere in my gyrocopter... land.. pick it up, place my jeep, drive off, get out, pick it up, place my motorcycle... drive around, pick it up, place gyrocopter and fly home.

And what point of this? You can't pick up vehicle when it has something in its inventory, so you are just wasting inventory slots.

Preferences differ for sure. I can contrast two games I play. Empyrion, with the bike there that you place, pick up, place, and pick up. Carrying an extra bike or two isn't an issue. You drive somewhere then pick it up and continue. Convenient. Does somewhat ruin immersion.

7DTD A16 - Drive and dis-assemble. Now my inventory is definitely filling up. There's no way I'll be carrying an extra 1-2 minibikes around "just in case", that'd not take 3 slots, it'd take most of my slots.

Now some might not find that immersion breaking. It won't get better as we get rafts, boats, submarines, air-craft carriers or space rockets, I got plenty of pockets in my jeans to store them all :p

So yeah, I do see a problem with "pick up" vehicles. Having to dismantle into 5-10 pieces will at least take up lotsa inventory space and make it more immersive.

There could always be another option. Not being able to pick up any. For instance, you can assemble a bike only at a gas station or unlock a raft only at the docks (there would be a dock poi needed for random gen of course :)). And where you park it, is where it's left.

Isn't that going to end up with a lot of n00bs on servers trying to loot their first house and being faced with sleepers far higher than their level can deal with because a higher level player popped past and spawned them earlier?

Lots of "what ifs" floating around this feature. Best to actually wait and see how this new change actually does before they keep making more changes.

For now there are some parts that must first be crafted much like you have to make the bellows first and then use it as a recipe component for the forge.

Will Madmole eventually decide that it’s a waste of time to craft the intermediate parts and consolidate the whole recipe to just mechanical parts, steel, and leather? If what we’ve seen so far with soil is a slippery slope (intended) then probably but if these changes have simply been surgical actions then probably not.

#Mybellowsliveson

Isn't that going to end up with a lot of n00bs on servers trying to loot their first house and being faced with sleepers far higher than their level can deal with because a higher level player popped past and spawned them earlier?

No need for other players. In SP there are some POI locations with too tough enemies on day one. This is what people said they wanted: Locations with higher difficulty and better loot for a true risk/reward system.

So...will players see that sleeping irradiated cop in the attic of one of those houses on Day 1 and back away slowly marking it on their map for later and think, “Wow, that’s awesome” or will they charge in and die and then rant about it on the forums...?

What’s behind Door #2 Johnny?!

Archived