Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

So, more on picking up vehicles and Restrictions: I suppose you guys have yet to discuss this extensively? I'm having a hard time imagining picking up any of these vehicles, putting them in my backpack, and feeling normal about it.

Could they somehow take up more slots in a backpack?

Be required to be on the action bar?

automatically apply "encumbered" to your character? -> this seems like it wouldn't be terribly difficult to add.

Also, do the vehicles keep their inventory when they're picked up?

what stops us from making a bunch of bikes and carrying them around for an infinite bag size?

And more on passengers:

What can they do exactly?

look around?

get out independent of whether the car is moving?

shoot?

Vehicles are created in your inventory to start with. Picking one up simply returns it to where it began.

We could gimp you for carrying one if it makes sense for balance or exploits.

You cannot pickup a vehicle with items in storage. You get a message telling you to empty it.

Passengers enter a vehicle, using e key or radial menu, like you would to drive it. You can look around like the driver can and exit it whenever you want. Speed of vehicle does not harm you.

@faatal

Question regarding the AI pathfinding.

In terms of mod support, if I were to reduce the durability of a material, say concrete, by 50%, does the AI take that into account when calculating the shortest route or is it pulling from static values? How about if I revise the upgrade / downgrade paths?

TIA

Things that I can remember that are gone

Hearing

Jumping 2 blocks high

Usefulness of throwing rocks

Hearing - Zombies still hear. The way they find you when they can't see you.

Jumping 2 blocks high - Perks might get you this high?

Usefulness of throwing rocks - Still works. Not sure how useful it is.

Vehicles are created in your inventory to start with. Picking one up simply returns it to where it began.

You cannot pickup a vehicle with items in storage. You get a message telling you to empty it.

Passengers enter a vehicle, using e key or radial menu, like you would to drive it. You can look around like the driver can and exit it whenever you want. Speed of vehicle does not harm you.

Quick questions!

Can anyone get in your car or do they need to be your friend?

I don't want to be in a pvp server and a player decides to troll and jumps in with me lol

will other players need to break the lock before driving the vehicle and entering the loot?

Will alpha 17 have any vehicle modifications you can add on?

Thanks!!

Is there a max alive for this? As in could I go into a town and activate ALL the sleeper volumes and lead them around or will you eventually cap out and some POIs just won't spawn any?

There is a GamePrefs MaxSpawnedZombies, which defaults to 60. That will just defer spawning until the number drops.

Wait.. you can pick up vehicles now, so they'll just end up in your inventory? That sounds awfully.. cheesy.

I'm all for fun>realism, but does this not seem to be rather over the top?

If one encounters a particular rough piece of terrain (mountain, lake, ravine), isn't is rather cheesy that you can just stop your jeep, get out, pick your jeep up, cross the obstacle on foot, and plop your jeep back down?

Hence the reason I said there may be limits for some vehicles.

Does the Key lock still work to where no one else can just get in it and drive it?

Isn't that going to end up with a lot of n00bs on servers trying to loot their first house and being faced with sleepers far higher than their level can deal with because a higher level player popped past and spawned them earlier?

Possibly.

@faatal

Question regarding the AI pathfinding.

In terms of mod support, if I were to reduce the durability of a material, say concrete, by 50%, does the AI take that into account when calculating the shortest route or is it pulling from static values? How about if I revise the upgrade / downgrade paths?

TIA

It is dynamic. You/they change a block's health, it updates that path grid section. Downgrades are calculated at load time.

"Clay" is just another snowstorm in a jar but I'll tell you anyway. Having one less surface texture saves memory and helps the poor Unity texture blender which can only handle 3 adjacent textures.

Since there was no actual gameplay benefit to clay patches, either, out it goes.

I do disagree that there was no gameplay benefit to clay patches :) There's been plenty of times I've had to plan out bases to ensure I have ready access to clay. Why in my latest Dead is Dead I was in a snow biome, and had to go search it out... mini adventure in itself!

Now if the main thing was to save texture memory and get rid of ugly patches I'm game.

But then instead of it being dumbed down, extend it. Require top soil to be turned into clay through a clay maker, requiring water, and a fair bit of time... just like it's done IRL.

This way you remove the ugly patches, you save the memory, save the poor Unity texture blender AND you enrich the experience rather than simplify. Want clay? Not a problem, buy from trader, loot it, or make some tools and have it run for half a day to give you the batch so you can use it.

You can pickup vehicles, which places them as an item in your inventory, just like they were when you first created one. You can also drop them like a bag or put in a container for others. In the future, there may be a restriction on the larger vehicles being taken.

Vehicles and guns no longer have a part list UI. You make then from parts and get a single item. The item now has mod slots shown in a UI similar to the old part UI.

Ah got it So I take it this means confirmed we can "mod" the vehicles, with items such as a paint job? ;)

Quick questions!

Can anyone get in your car or do they need to be your friend?

I don't want to be in a pvp server and a player decides to troll and jumps in with me lol

will other players need to break the lock before driving the vehicle and entering the loot?

Will alpha 17 have any vehicle modifications you can add on?

Thanks!!

It all depends on ownership, lock and password. If you lock it, then no one can do anything except maybe if they have the password, but it all seems a bit odd, like you get ownership by locking it now, since all vehicles have locks when made. The whole thing needs review/polish, but A17e may be out before I get to it.

No vehicle mods are planned for A17, but it really depends on how many bugs and other adjustments use up my time.

Testers complained too. I didn't like it either.

The 30-45m range can be deceiving, since due to the spread of zombies, obstacles and path diagonals, some of them can end up closer. Those closer ones may or may not see/hear you and your reaction to them may or may not attract the rest. Makes it more interesting.

I would actually love for wandering hordes to be more spread out and not as tight group/line. But also a much bigger one as now it's spread out. Ie, let it not be 15 zombies within 20 meters of each other. But spawn in over a period of time wandering past... so between the first and the last it might be 5 minutes, and zombies coming in groups, or individually walking, all over the place :D

- - - Updated - - -

I think vehicles drive in water fine now if i am not mistaken. Someone can correct me if i am wrong.

Well people always complained we had no water vehicles, no rafts, no boats...

At least we got a submarine! Why the jeep smokestack can be converted to a combo oxygen intake maybe ;)

I do disagree that there was no gameplay benefit to clay patches :) There's been plenty of times I've had to plan out bases to ensure I have ready access to clay. Why in my latest Dead is Dead I was in a snow biome, and had to go search it out... mini adventure in itself!

You'll still have to get off the snow biome to go get clay, since Roland already said that snow and wasteland do not give clay.

Icecream is sweet.

Faatal my frendd cna u tel m3...........................

Will Engine quality affect final product of [object].

4x4, Motorbike, etc.. akin to current / previous iteration of Mini Bike.

If the material list is to be combined into one singular [object].. (Assuming it cannot be dismantled, if so.. then I guess never mind, logical approach as we know it goes on from here) how will we upgrade the parts that have performance value?

EG. 4x4 crafted with 1/600 Engine. (I recall that quality is changing too, so.. also in respect to that however it's functioning.)

Archived