Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

They got to be really close at this point. Based on that new video I saw of Joel playing. It didn’t look very laggy and buggy. But who knows that didn’t show rwg or tons of other stuff. I mean experimental doesn’t need to be perfect lol need a17...... also on the bright side the 7dtd twitter account has been posting instead of Joel to build hype. So maybe soon then

Third time you have insinuated people are asking for a "farm simulator". Who has asked for that? What we don't want is that food becomes a non-concern by day 5. If food is going to be a complete non-issue that early in the game, just remove it entirely. It's just clutter at that point.

But if anything, MadMole said that seeds are going to be much harder to obtain. So it should take longer for food to become a non issue.

It is just that the process of farming is less tedious

I like that they made food a little bit more difficult...atm it´s just to easy... I mean i don´t want it to be the main reason for dying, but a little bit of a struggle is nice. Farming is the best way to get to enough food, so making farming a little bit more difficult is nice.

Again my idea.

Zs can only badly destroy material but they can easily find you.

Food spoil, even in the fridge.

If you have a field in a secure base, nothing grows without fertilizer. (Find / buy fertilizer)

Meat has higher energy value like vegetables so hunt.

You will find materials as before but you have to leave the base. Outside, the angry mob is waiting.

At Blood Night, the Zs could be stronger and more.

I was wondering about the farming part where you punch and a plant is automatically harvested/replanted. Does that mean you only have to use one seed for each plant and then you never have to use a seed again for it? I would think you would at least have to have the seeds in your inventory to replant even if you only had to punch a plant to harvest it and replant it. If you punched 100 plants and only had 99 seeds then last plant wouldn't be replanted and you would have to find/make a new seed for it.

My thoughts on farming are pretty much echoing many others. Punching/grabbing makes sense, but the regrowing not so much. A plant doesn’t just grow because why not, it needs tending to. Maybe add some kind of watering/feeding option?

Going with the food spoiling idea, maybe use the rotten food as a kind of fertiliser/compost?

For instance, in Subsistence, the plant bed has bars forg how much water and how much fertiliser is in the dirt. The fertiliser comes from the chicken house, so it’s infinite (ish).

The issue is we are all looking at each change in isolation and not looking at the overall picture, everything effects everything else in game, so we have to try to view changes as a whole and really you can only do that by playing the game.

IMO opinion based on all the previous snippets shown A17 is going to be the final big framework change to the game, once balanced, we will see see quicker smaller updates bug fixing and optimizing, with and influx additional content that the framework has already been laid down for.

No doubt we will also see some refining/ expansion of perks etc based on overall player feedback/ reviews.

Personally I'm still enjoying playing A16.4 (even with bugs and glitches) whilst excited for the touted changes in A17.

My thoughts on farming are pretty much echoing many others. Punching/grabbing makes sense, but the regrowing not so much. A plant doesn’t just grow because why not, it needs tending to. Maybe add some kind of watering/feeding option?

Going with the food spoiling idea, maybe use the rotten food as a kind of fertiliser/compost?

For instance, in Subsistence, the plant bed has bars forg how much water and how much fertiliser is in the dirt. The fertiliser comes from the chicken house, so it’s infinite (ish).

You've just given me an idea for balance that doesn't revolve around spawning entities and the weird issues that can cause.

Before a plant has reached maturity it stands a chance of getting a pest or disease problem. If you tend your crop you can easily cure the problem by hitting it, otherwise known as the "finger and thumb" method of pest control. If left unchecked the plant will die and a diseased plant increases the risk of nearby plants being infected.

A bool, a timer and a percentage value should be about all you need to do this.

So many discussions about farming being too over-powered due to regenerability. How aboutthe trivial (and much more realistic) solution? Increasing the number of days the crops take to fully mature. Don`t you think it`s weird, that crops take 2 or 3 days to fully grow?

So many discussions about farming being too over-powered due to regenerability. How aboutthe trivial (and much more realistic) solution? Increasing the number of days the crops take to fully mature. Don`t you think it`s weird, that crops take 2 or 3 days to fully grow?

Even the fastest growing weed (pun intended) takes about three months to go from seed to harvest. Given that a game day lasts roughly one hour you're looking at roughly eighty-four hours of playing before you can harvest your first crop.

That's a little too much realism even for me but you're right, three days does seem a little short by comparison.

From another thread:

Indeed A17 does rock. It just feels so deep now with meaningful perk choices, POIs that are so much more interesting, AI that will scare the crap out of you and shred tried and true base designs... New combat, vehicles, mods, new everything to be honest. There is too much to mention, but as a whole, this is the version I have personally been waiting for. To me this is the first version of 7 days that is feature complete for the most part. Having all systems in place for the first time is a big game changer. After this build its just more content, no brand new systems are needed.

Im a little bit worried about "having all systems in place for the first time" -- and no "no brand new systems are needed" part of this quote.

So,

1) Water doesn't need a new system?

2) We don't have bandits, is that a new system? are they gone for good?

3) Block selection interface that were talked about a long while back, is that a new system?

4) Smell system is gone for good?

Roland, talk me down... please.. :)

There is a period of time before farming starts to give you a meaningful return of food (i.e. one or two potatoes every 3 days is not worth writing home about). Then there is a period of time when it does. And then there is the time period when you swim in food. The problem is that the developers don't want the first period starting too late but want the middle period to be as long as possible. With geometric progression both goals are not achievable because the middle period is just about two growth cycles long.

For example if they double the time the crops grow (to 6 days) the middle period will be twice as long but so will be the first period where you bootstrap your farming. Even worse, find a big field and there is no middle period at all.

<snipped for space>

1) A water system is already in place although it needs fixing (re: completely ripped out and replaced)

2) Bandits are part of the enemies system and are simply an expansion of existing code (mostly, barring behavior trees).

3) Isn't the modified block selection code part of A16? It needs tweaking and expanding but it's already in place.

4) Not if we kick up a big enough stink :-)

MadMole is a great man but I should think by now everyone knows to take what he says with a few billion grains of salt.

From another thread:

Im a little bit worried about "having all systems in place for the first time" -- and no "no brand new systems are needed" part of this quote.

So,

1) Water doesn't need a new system?

2) We don't have bandits, is that a new system? are they gone for good?

3) Block selection interface that were talked about a long while back, is that a new system?

4) Smell system is gone for good?

Roland, talk me down... please.. :)

This is from the official Dev page, Third post:

"Dropped Features:

Behemoth

Ziplines

Plains & Maple Forest as full and distinct biomes

Blimp 7/24/18

bandits officially postponed to A18 7/24/18

smell detection by zombies 10/12/18"

I am disappointed that smell is gone. However I don't think it will be an issue if the zombies' AI is smart enough to find players even without the smell mechanic.

This thing that always bothered me about smell is I couldn't hide on the other side of a three meter thick iron wall because they could magically "smell me" through the walls.

This is from the official Dev page, Third post:

"Dropped Features:

Behemoth

Ziplines

Plains & Maple Forest as full and distinct biomes

Blimp 7/24/18

bandits officially postponed to A18 7/24/18

smell detection by zombies 10/12/18"

Dropped for this alpha, not dropped for good. Gyrocopters were on the dropped list at one point.

Food for thought..... When you harvest potatoes, wheat or anything (IRL), you don't pull up the entire plant and start anew. Do you do that for tomato plants, no. Corn is a non regen plant, I agree to a point there. It was stated that zombies will no longer be dropping by and delivering groceries as much as we (were) used to. Pease remember that you haven't player A17 yet.

ok, so punching plants to harvest, and it replants. um. seeds are harder to find/make. err..

SO what happened (or is happening to) that humungous corn field in Navezgane? Are the dead cornstalks (that became seeds when you hit them) gone? I never did clear ALL of those fields.

What if we don't want THAT crop to replant (said giganormous cornfield).

Archived