Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

it's too long for a single alpha, my opinion is that TFP is working in parallel on a future game

I heard the game title is going to be this.

7 Days to: Build a space ship, launch it to Mars, find you have no air aaaand... die.

It seems like there's been enough 'information gathering' to support a:

7 Days to Develop a Minecraft/Skyrim/Tower Defense Zombie/Survival/Crafting/Driving/Flying/Digging/Farming FPS/RPG/MMO PVE/PVP game development simulator.

Some obstacles:

...Engine Updates

...Early Access

......'Testers'...

...Forums

...Streamers

...Partner development companies 'crashing'

...AGILE development methodology

......(Heck, might as well include a mini JIRA simulator...)

Etc.

Food for thought..... When you harvest potatoes, wheat or anything (IRL), you don't pull up the entire plant and start anew. Do you do that for tomato plants, no. Corn is a non regen plant, I agree to a point there. It was stated that zombies will no longer be dropping by and delivering groceries as much as we (were) used to. Pease remember that you haven't player A17 yet.

Actually, you do exactly that on potatoes and most of our food crops as they are annuals and thus the plant DIES every year and must be replanted. In fact, harvesting potatoes IRL requires you to pull up the whole plant as potatoes are tubers, i.e. root nodules.

I love the idea of using a scythe/sickle to harvest

Ya see, we're working on a lot of framework here. I'm not aware of any such plan but it's a one-liner to make a tool harvest more crops. Or a perk just for more potatoes. No doubt someone will be crazy enough to do that.

it's too long for a single alpha, my opinion is that TFP is working in parallel on a future game

Damn! That must be it. But tell me more! What kind of game is it?

A bool, a timer and a percentage value should be about all you need to do this.

The ability for such a plant upgrade to have multiple random block targets has been in A16.

That would happen no matter what. They stopped because of complaints, they started cause of complaints. Now it's just complaints, lol. I've seen in the business world, soon be a year to 2. The company I work for is an industrial electrical contractor. A lot of times, customers will send us everything to start, just need to wait for them to shut down their machinery, they say soon. 2 years later, they are ready x.x… One customer took 5 years after the plan was already made and basically paid for..... Just how it works

Is that company still in business? :p

Thanks for the update faatal. I am slightly perplexed that you are working on those things while roland was announcing streaming soon a month ago. It is what it is though. I really appreciate the transparency!

Excited to see what you guys come up with.

Yea agree! So many inconsistencies, I hope they are all on the same page from now on. Its like they are all in different locations/homes working on the game not one place :indecisiveness::indecisiveness:

Letter to Developers:

Please, I beg you to reconsquider releasing A17e sooner, rather than later. I really want to get kraken on building a new base with all the cool new features! I was just squidding when I said I wouldn't love you anymore if you didn't release the... alpha soon. Insquidentally, I do appreciate the updates posted here about your progress.

Thanks!

Concerned Citizen

Thanks for the update faatal. I am slightly perplexed that you are working on those things while roland was announcing streaming soon a month ago. It is what it is though. I really appreciate the transparency!

Excited to see what you guys come up with.

Since Monday there have been 201 commits to the project. That is normal. We will be working on all kinds of changes right up until A17e is released.

Depends on what you consider soon to mean. I recently told my wife Christmas will be here soon. That didn't mean next week.

I have about 12 A17e must fix issues assigned to me right now. Even if those were the only tasks left for A17e, it would be difficult to determine how long it would take. In the time it takes to address those issues there will probably be 5 or 10 new issues that come up that have to be fixed. This is an iterative process. Often an issue is fixed and then testers reopen it because there is still a variation of the problem or a new problem. Now apply that process to a dozen different developers and no one can know an exact date. It is all guessing.

Some will say other companies announce dates and release stuff on time. How does that work?

1 Set a date and make simple safe changes that any dummy could do.

2 Set a date and then release regardless of bugs or features being finished. Usually accompanied by a death march.

3 Set a date so far in the future, that you could do it twice over.

4 Say nothing until it is 99% done, then set an easy date weeks or months ahead.

5 Set a date and get lucky!

We could do 4, but that goes against early access transparency.

Like many other game companies, we are employing the it is done when we are happy with it approach.

No. Seemed fine in testing. Never saw vomit from back of head.

The extra shot was always north, since it was after the look direction was cleared.

Do they still vomit in the direction you are when they start the animation? So if you move, they don't correct the aim and they miss you by a lot.

I could be way off here but I also feel some of the changes coming are developing AS A17 is being worked on. My guess is that the perk system did not come to full fruition at the moment A17 was announced, but much later (hence the wrong percentages/verbiage shown in earlier videos). There is nothing wrong with that. The devs are working on a TON of new things.

New ideas emerge and the devs need to accommodate these ideas whether they were envisioned 4 weeks ago or 4 months ago... if it is determined imperative for A17 launch, the devs start working on it. I trust that.

Some of us just need to grab a straw and suck it up because the development of a game before it is officially launched is not a walk in the park from what I have gathered.

Some will say other companies announce dates and release stuff on time. How does that work?

2 Set a date and then release regardless of bugs or features being finished. Usually accompanied by a death march.

4 Say nothing until it is 99% done, then set an easy date weeks or months ahead.

Or, in many cases, have a date imposed on you by the publishing/marketing team who have already set up the advance publicity and media drive to get people hyped up for that release date, and then choose either 1 or 2 as that date approaches

Since Monday there have been 201 commits to the project. That is normal. We will be working on all kinds of changes right up until A17e is released.

Depends on what you consider soon to mean. I recently told my wife Christmas will be here soon. That didn't mean next week.

I have about 12 A17e must fix issues assigned to me right now. Even if those were the only tasks left for A17e, it would be difficult to determine how long it would take. In the time it takes to address those issues there will probably be 5 or 10 new issues that come up that have to be fixed. This is an iterative process. Often an issue is fixed and then testers reopen it because there is still a variation of the problem or a new problem. Now apply that process to a dozen different developers and no one can know an exact date. It is all guessing.

We could do 4, but that goes against early access transparency.

Like many other game companies, we are employing the it is done when we are happy with it approach.

See now, THIS! needs a sticky all on it's own... Easy place to refer people who complain about the release...

All harvestable plants are harvested by hitting with free hand instead of using with "e" 11/1/18

Harvested crop returns to first stage "baby plant" and regrows 11/1/18

Seeds very rare 11/1/18

Will there be a perk or other way to receive increased yields from harvesting plants as was the case when planting on fertilized ground?

yes, learning perk makes you get more crops and ability to craft seeds.

link to video.

Will there be a perk or other way to receive increased yields from harvesting plants as was the case when planting on fertilized ground?

There is a perk that increases harvest yields. Take a look at the Halloween video posted by Pokket (I linked the video and timestamp in an earlier post). I can't say it will be identical to when planting on fertilized ground, but it sounds like it.

-A

Archived