Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Cool video. I watched the whole thing with interest. But I have to wonder,

1. If a game uses this middleware, does the end user playing it need DirectX 11? Because that won't work for people not on Windows.
  2. How's the performance? Rendering a whole voxel game world is of course more taxing than the single plane shown here.

youre right, opengl users wont have tesselation with that free asset.

but this:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/shaders/directx-11/pn-aen-crack-free-tessellation-displacement-52518

this asset supports opengl and directx but costs a few bucks.

A. when disabled (by users choice or hardware/software limitation), you still got the normal maps method the game uses right now, doesnt look as good as parallax or tesselation but still does its job.

Tesselation creates additional vertices based on the model mesh which are handled on the gpu, altered by the displacement map texture.

B. The performance hit might not be the same with this particular asset and on voxels but a rough estimate on performance hit. the higher the setting, the more vertices are interpolated into the base mesh.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1936-what-is-tessellation-game-graphics

I'm shamelessly copying a reply from MM on Reddit (of all places) of yesterday I just found.

Reddit? Why did it have to be frikkin' Reddit?

I've visited Reddit a grand total of about three times so far. My first and last thought has always been "The front page of the internet really needs a UI designer".

Reddit? Why did it have to be frikkin' Reddit?

I've visited Reddit a grand total of about three times so far. My first and last thought has always been "The front page of the internet really needs a UI designer".

Yeah I know. Guess we just have to accept that MM posts much more over there than on this forum. Like with Twitter.

Fine by me, but it makes it much more difficult for people to collect all the info we have here.

Yeah I know. Guess we just have to accept that MM posts much more over there than on this forum. Like with Twitter.

Fine by me, but it makes it much more difficult for people to collect all the info we have here.

If only there was someone willing to follow MadMole across the internet and post newly revealed information back here. Where would we find such a man? Who would be willing to do such a thankless task? What brave hero will step from the shadows and save us?

Find out next week, same bat-time, same bat-channel.

If only there was someone willing to follow MadMole across the internet and post newly revealed information back here. Where would we find such a man? Who would be willing to do such a thankless task? What brave hero will step from the shadows and save us?

Find out next week, same bat-time, same bat-channel.

*Looks over right shoulder*

Uh..

*Looks over left shoulder*

Dunno.. But that person needs to be bat-♥♥♥♥-crazy!

I'm shamelessly copying a reply from MM on Reddit (of all places) of yesterday I just found.

"Guys its getting very close. This build almost feels like a sequel. I'll be showing off the new attributes and perks I just finished in a series of videos very soon. I'm polishing up the new weather survival now."

And another one:

"Yes as far as I know we'll be on Steam workshop. I'd like to be able to add a poi to a list or give it a tag and have it automatically added to the server."

Dang tfp, wish i never preordered fo76 and bo4 now! Cant see how ill have time to playem with 7dtd 2 in the mix :bi_polo:

"Smell is gone it was an abstract that was too hard to communicate in a game"

I thought it was communicated reasonably well already. Cook bacon: expect visitors if you don't put it away quickly.

Have a little icon or something next to smelly stuff(and maybe throw one on your HUD in case you miss the first one), maybe put a little simple graphic around you so nearby friends can notice that you smell like hot tasty meat, and we're all set.

The most awkward thing it seems would be calculating how long it should take for zombies at various ranges to notice the smell.

It was a nice fairly unique thing about the game. Too bad.

"Smell is gone it was an abstract that was too hard to communicate in a game"

I thought it was communicated reasonably well already. Cook bacon: expect visitors if you don't put it away quickly.

Have a little icon or something next to smelly stuff(and maybe throw one on your HUD in case you miss the first one), maybe put a little simple graphic around you so nearby friends can notice that you smell like hot tasty meat, and we're all set.

The most awkward thing it seems would be calculating how long it should take for zombies at various ranges to notice the smell.

It was a nice fairly unique thing about the game. Too bad.

I feel like that's what it was. How much should xyz smell? How long? How strong through xyz container? How long for that? How strong of smell does a dead zombie have that has deteriorating senses and does the range deteriorate as well? Should it work like vision? Does the smell range deteriorate as it is out longer. And probably many more factors I'm not thinking of off the top of my head. Now with the new buff system, I could see it working better with a modder or maybe they'll put it in since you can have timers and all. But it'd still seem so simplistic to what smell actually is verses sight. And with how TFP is, at least Joel, he wants things perfect, so if smell can't really be done in a good way that makes sense, then it would be tossed, at least for now (not saying it will ever come back in gold, or whatever). I feel like smell itself could be a 1 man job, lol.

Yep! He did, and how dare a fan of the game try to clarify things!

Seems like he's just bringing up the fact that there's so many negative reviews and that a mod would carry more weight than a random person

Players write negative reviews based on their opinions of the game, it's progress, their frustration with voicing their opinion in the forum & being Moved or Deleted by Moderators.

There are other reasons but they do it because they are angry & trying to solve that by going through all the reviews & the Pimp's making comments on them would take up all their time. They got enough problems with what happened with the Unity Update to get XP out than worrying about the Negative Reviews.

I think Roland's creation of the Locked Dev Thread is a step in the right direction for player info. You don't have to weed through all the negative comments anymore & get the answers from the Pimps without the Peanut Gallery. I suggested he do this a couple weeks ago in another Thread & it's a great improvement for communication. I think this should happen in the Steam Forum too where all the Negativity is & they got the info bit I think an actual link to the Dev Blog would be better.

Make Players Happy & the Negative Reviews might get changed to the Positive, that's how you fix it, good ole PR.

I really liked the smell aspect. That certain things would smell more than others and you could make certain foods to either minimize the smell or get rid of it completely. How you could glance at the map and see the effects of the smell, range etc. I miss that added layer.

Make Players Happy & the Negative Reviews might get changed to the Positive, that's how you fix it, good ole PR.

Its as easy as that! Make everyone happy!

Why cant everyone do that? i mean, its not like players are individuals with their own opinions and what they want in a game. But just flipping the switch from unhappy to happy is all it takes!

*Smell is gone it was an abstract that was too hard to communicate in a game.

- I have no issues with this, to my knowledge it was not in anyway. As someone that does some programming (PDM) I can totally understand that if the logistics of laying out and implementing the system are not worth the benefit of the system then it goes.

*All npcs have new AI and pathing.

- Love everything about this. I hope they can fit into the mechanic driven bases like Toothy and Pillar. Those need to become a trend of the past. They are not built to defend against Zombies honestly. They are built to take advantage of pathing issues.

*No audio occlusion.

- (Looks up what this is) I am fine with that. Audio adds a lot to a game, but I am not a 'Sound Person'.

*Hordes are a serious threat now.

- Fantastic! This will be awesome and terrifying like Faatals wolf and dog update.

*Brand new vehicle code with real physics.

- Really looking forward to this. No more minibike falling through the world!

*All new sleeper code.

- This will be awesome as well. I hope it gets rid of the 'broken' sleepers that just lay there and never wake up and let you one shot them.

Yeah, the new dog/wolf code. I'm not telling my friends and they fear the zombie dogs. Going to be fun watching that carnage go down.

The only time I ever dealt with the 'smell' was for console (since updates are so far behind) and it annoyed me, seemed like hunting was always the worst way to get food because it'd attract zombies from so far away. Once I went to PC, and 'smell' was gone, I hallelujah'd.

As for audio occlusion, I'm sure they will add it in time. I like the way it is now because even in a house, things sound right next to you, so you are never sure if you are alone. Granted, I understand the downsides of that, but I like the aspect of actually being surprised when something is there because I've just so long assume that the zombie is further away since 99% of the time, it is. So it's a good jump scare when I'm wrong, especially at night. It can get annoying if it then causes you to get an infection, etc. early on when no antibiotics or the like are on me, so now mad dash to look for some. I almost feel like audio occlusion could get rid of a lot of scariness aspect in the game. Especially, if you can tell exactly where zombies are, at all times.

With sleeper code, I just hope they stop having them sleeping standing up x.x... If they are against a wall, I can understand it, but in the middle of a room is a bit much, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

There is sound occlusion code, but it is disabled. Why? I would guess it is either slow or buggy.

Oh? That's cool. I'm hoping just the slow part, because with all the changes in A17E, I'm guessing it wouldn't be as slow now? Or it may need to be rewritten after all the changes. Hmmmm.

Archived