Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I think is better that they release this update quickly if they don't want to hit the 20% of positive reviews on steam xD

When I read this, I hear the stereotypical teenage girl, "Brian broke up with me, and now my life is over!!!" God bless their narrow perspective. (And, just think, she'll be dating Kevin next week and everything will be fine.)

Edit: "Next week" in no way was meant to imply that A17-E will be out next week. I mean, Aldranon has been playing it for a couple of months, but I'm pretty sure that they just re-uploaded A16 for him with the label "A17-E." At least, that's what I've been telling myself so that I don't get jealous of him.

I'm shamelessly copying a reply from MM on Reddit (of all places) of yesterday I just found.

"Guys its getting very close. This build almost feels like a sequel. I'll be showing off the new attributes and perks I just finished in a series of videos very soon. I'm polishing up the new weather survival now."

And another one:

"Yes as far as I know we'll be on Steam workshop. I'd like to be able to add a poi to a list or give it a tag and have it automatically added to the server."

I asked Joel about this comment and he said that he was talking about post gold for Steam workshop. Steam workshop will not be supported for A17.

Thanks!

I found another reply, a bit farther down.

"It means there is so much work put into it, it feels more like a new game than just another alpha. Smell is gone it was an abstract that was too hard to communicate in a game. All npcs have new AI and pathing. I get 60 fps, upgrade your potato. No audio occlusion. Tons of new content. Hordes are a serious threat now. Brand new vehicle code with real physics. All new sleeper code."

NPC's having AI and pathing... what do those traders need pathing for?? :D

Also, smell is gone? Maybe it's time to update the first post, Roland.

1) Smell is gone apparently. Joel clarified that it was slowing down the game and causing hidden bugs. Rather than spend resources and time to try and fix it they have gone to the more abstract bar showing how aware zombies are of you but smell is not part of the equation. Whether that means smell is cut for good or not is unknown but it is not going to appear in A17.

2)NPCs = Entities. So animals, zombies, and whatever other non player entities the game might have in the future will all make use of the new AI and pathing. His comment was about the pathing and not about NPC survivor characters of which I can confirm there are still none in the game other than the traders.

Hehe yeah.. Apparantly MM posts quite a lot over there, by checking his profile.

For example, this response from ~10 days ago

Nobody anticipated this build taking this long, but it is what it is. We're working our asses off and I can proudly say this build finally reflects our vision for how the game should be. Brand new AI and pathing system, all new attribute and perk system, brand new vehicle physics, weapon mods, multiplayer quest system, over 100? NEW pois, all old POIs redone, new physically based shading system and lots of new or touched up game art (wip), new lighting, texture streaming, distant tree rendering system, all new sculpted realistic terrain, much bigger Navezgane, much better third person animations, new combat system with power attacks and new animations, new firearm system, encumbrance system for armor and weapons, light and heavy armor classes, new items, cooking perks, new weather system and grandpas awesome sauce.

I'm sure I forgot a few hundred things, but I hope you feel like the wait was justified when you play it.

* Over 100 new POI's? Nice!

* Is this armor/weapon encumbrance system new? If so.. Nice!

* Armor classes.. Nice!

* I do not like Grandpa's sauce.

Roland.. Will these things be included in the first post? My apologies if they are already there.

1) Last count I heard was 70 new POI's. Maybe he is including some of the old ones that have been redone or perhaps there are some extras that I wasn't aware of. 100? can probably be translated to "So many I can't keep track of them all"

2) Armor will slow you down and burn stamina at a greater rate. Swinging a sledge hammer will burn more stamina than a machete but that's nothing new. I'll add the armor if it isn't there. Armor encumbrance is not what I was referring to in regards to the backpack inventory changes. :)

3) I'm not sure about the armor classes. I'll see what I can find out.

4) Ignore Grandpa's sauce to your detriment. That will be a favorite recipe...

1) Last count I heard was 70 new POI's. Maybe he is including some of the old ones that have been redone or perhaps there are some extras that I wasn't aware of. 100? can probably be translated to "So many I can't keep track of them all"

2) Armor will slow you down and burn stamina at a greater rate. Swinging a sledge hammer will burn more stamina than a machete but that's nothing new. I'll add the armor if it isn't there. Armor encumbrance is not what I was referring to in regards to the backpack inventory changes. :)

well at least we some something new

sigh seriously how much longer for this update? lately I noticed their latest news update is just some HD textures stuff but like I rather just have the game already and then the HD stuff as little patch updates or something, especially considering as my 980 and 1600x was barely able to handle A16 at medium settings at a reasonable fps so all that HD stuff will just make it worse

*Smell is gone it was an abstract that was too hard to communicate in a game.

what?? is this permanent? that's kinda disappointing.. would add more fun and make you pick and choose what you carry more carefully if they could smell you.

I know there is a "smelly" buff currently, but im not sure how you obtain it other then force buffing yourself. too bad we cant harvest our own poo. (starvation requires you to "sleep") and take baths/swim or become smelly.. XD

I'm hoping something simple like subtracting X amount of *STEALTH!* while carrying say animal fat will be possible. It's not too far from equipped buffs but we will have to see what is the will of the XML gods. Definitely not enthused about the loss of the smell mechanic as it was mentioned in one of MM's Diersville videos with the new yellow NV goggles that it just wasn't hooked up "yet".

Still looking forward to A17 and the new opportunities it will bring. Carry on Pimps.

I'm hoping something simple like subtracting X amount of *STEALTH!* while carrying say animal fat will be possible. It's not too far from equipped buffs but we will have to see what is the will of the XML gods. Definitely not enthused about the loss of the smell mechanic as it was mentioned in one of MM's Diersville videos with the new yellow NV goggles that it just wasn't hooked up "yet".

Still looking forward to A17 and the new opportunities it will bring. Carry on Pimps.

Smell-by-range is okay but it has quite a few loopholes. Unless intervening blocks are taken into account I could be on the inside of a hermetically sealed vault and still be smelled. The only way to do it properly would be to use the same sort of pathfinding algorithm that the spiders require, three dimensional pathing and one block ingress. That's not going to happen any time soon.

That said, smell-by-range would be a good placeholder until then.

sigh seriously how much longer for this update? lately I noticed their latest news update is just some HD textures stuff but like I rather just have the game already and then the HD stuff as little patch updates or something, especially considering as my 980 and 1600x was barely able to handle A16 at medium settings at a reasonable fps so all that HD stuff will just make it worse

it's not just about "hd stuff" its a texture overhaul to improve graphic performance, and there is so much more going on then just that.

some people like to watch this site: https://steamdb.info/app/251570/depots/

Thanks for the reply mate!

If you read his entire post at the end he said "Whether that means smell is cut for good or not is unknown but it is not going to appear in A17."

Good riddance, smell. I'd rather have better hearing anyway.

We had hearing up to about a14 or so. It was also cut for the same reason.

Archived