Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Funny thing is: it would take max 2 hours to make a video to keep community calm but i started to Think that they like all of this Salt xD

When I was a kid and would ask, "Why is such-and-such like this?" my parents would say, "To make you ask questions."

Roland, I have seen on here a while back, the question of. What happens to the arrows when the body disappears? I have not come across an answer for it. Can you explain what happens to them? On a side note: keep up the good work y'all.

Arrows disappear with the body if they are not pulled out before the body disappears. It is actually an interesting minigame when fighting a horde to backtrack past oncoming zombies to pull arrows out of ones you killed before they are gone. I'm hoping that a new achievement might be designed where you kill a horde with one arrow and just keep pulling it out and reusing it until all the zeds are dead.

Arrows disappear with the body if they are not pulled out before the body disappears. It is actually an interesting minigame when fighting a horde to backtrack past oncoming zombies to pull arrows out of ones you killed before they are gone. I'm hoping that a new achievement might be designed where you kill a horde with one arrow and just keep pulling it out and reusing it until all the zeds are dead.

Is the body disappear time editable via XML?

Ha - that would be a fun pvp minigame. Each person only gets one arrow and it takes 3 hits to kill. After firing, you have to chase down your opponent to get your arrow back before firing again.

Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. If I gave an approximate date I would have to be insane.

But how about this:

I am reasonably certain that the experimental version will be released before the end of 2018.

I am somewhat certain that the stable version will also be released before the end of 2018.

I am quite certain that the experimental version will NOT be released before the end of October.

Make of that what you will.

I'm going to start working on the fourth release date thread which will NOT include a friggin poll.

/insane since July 2018

1) Smell is gone apparently. Joel clarified that it was slowing down the game and causing hidden bugs. Rather than spend resources and time to try and fix it they have gone to the more abstract bar showing how aware zombies are of you but smell is not part of the equation. Whether that means smell is cut for good or not is unknown but it is not going to appear in A17.

2)NPCs = Entities. So animals, zombies, and whatever other non player entities the game might have in the future will all make use of the new AI and pathing. His comment was about the pathing and not about NPC survivor characters of which I can confirm there are still none in the game other than the traders.

Not going to lie, smell was a big one for me in terms of using it in ways to make the game more difficult and for achieving a level of realism in a game about zombies. Im struggling to find a good thing to say about this one.

Not to be that guy but if smell is just yanked completely then it makes zero sense to have Blood Moons nor does it make sense to have heat generate from forges and benches. If my forge is underground there's no way in hell a zombie can spot my light from the heat, yet if i carry a raw steak on me 5m in front of them crouched they have no idea where I am. This is where the more glaring aspects of trying to make things more difficult for its own sake become apparent. GPS hordes are often considered a bane to players and rightfully so. There is no lore to support it from the developer end, and removing smell makes the undead even dumber, so why the hell is it they know when im melting brass and that its Sunday night at 11pm?

Im hoping the smell thing is temporary. Little by little all the things that made this game so unique from your run of the mill zombie survival game are being stripped away or "dumbed" down and while the overall product will still be light ages better than any other game on offer, it is still bringing on a feeling of melancholy.

Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. If I gave an approximate date I would have to be insane.

But how about this:

I am reasonably certain that the experimental version will be released before the end of 2018.

I am somewhat certain that the stable version will also be released before the end of 2018.

I am quite certain that the experimental version will NOT be released before the end of October.

I'm going to start working on the fourth release date thread which will NOT include a friggin poll.

/insane since July 2018

Not gonna say Im surprised....whats another month among friends....Maybe November?

Maybe Christmas....probably wont be an experimental version....just A17.......see you all next month.

Not going to lie, smell was a big one for me in terms of using it in ways to make the game more difficult and for achieving a level of realism in a game about zombies. Im struggling to find a good thing to say about this one.

Not to be that guy but if smell is just yanked completely then it makes zero sense to have Blood Moons nor does it make sense to have heat generate from forges and benches. If my forge is underground there's no way in hell a zombie can spot my light from the heat, yet if i carry a raw steak on me 5m in front of them crouched they have no idea where I am. This is where the more glaring aspects of trying to make things more difficult for its own sake become apparent. GPS hordes are often considered a bane to players and rightfully so. There is no lore to support it from the developer end, and removing smell makes the undead even dumber, so why the hell is it they know when im melting brass and that its Sunday night at 11pm?

Im hoping the smell thing is temporary. Little by little all the things that made this game so unique from your run of the mill zombie survival game are being stripped away or "dumbed" down and while the overall product will still be light ages better than any other game on offer, it is still bringing on a feeling of melancholy.

I'm disappointed by the removal of smell as well. Perhaps Gronk is right that our sensibilities might be offended if we sealed ourselves in a hermetically sealed room and the zombies could still smell us but I'd take the flawed system with those edge cases over nothing at all. As far as I could ever tell when I carried meat I was detected by dogs and zombies in range.

The only silver lining is that Joel and Gazz and Kinyajuu tout the power of the new buff system and how it is event based and you can do so many things with it. Hopefully, a basic smell buff can be worked out that might not be perfect but good enough that will give a reasonable impersonation of the smell system that wasn't working the way they wanted it to by modders if not by TFP.

Be nice if Gazz could explain why the buff system could not handle a smelly buff that would make you more noticeable to zombies and dogs.

Be nice if Gazz could explain why the buff system could not handle a smelly buff that would make you more noticeable to zombies and dogs.

Maybe the thought of giving meat stacks a buff just never occurred to anyone? I can't see a logical reason why the buff system would fail to do it.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Hanlon's razor

If you read his entire post at the end he said "Whether that means smell is cut for good or not is unknown but it is not going to appear in A17."

Good riddance, smell. I'd rather have better hearing anyway.

Got a link? I looked in that thread for a post where Joel says that but I don't see it.

But how about this:

/insane since July 2018

I totally appreciate this. Posts like this helps me keep what little sanity I have left. I check here everyday hoping that it says the release candidate is out. lol Please keep doing these Roland. :smile-new:

thank you Roland for the fast response its much appreciated.

Just wait to see and read the full change log when A17 is released. We will be shocked, but happy.

Would be lovely to see a change log release at the time of the streamer release. You know, for us commons :p

Just give the meat a buff of whatever attracts zombies to forges....problem solved.

The meat map! :glee:

But how about this:

/insane since July 2018

It is just hard to grasp. For example in the construction world if a contractor gives me an estimate of substantial completion date of say June/July I realize that it probably going to be some time in August.

It's just hard to grasp that a project missed the estimated release by nearly 50% of the estimated delivery time. A 5 month delay on a 3 year project is understandable. A 5 month delay on 10 month estimate is just hard to grasp.

I am not bashing you guys or saying you are not working enough. I just suppose I don't get how things work in the non physical world.

But if you guys are still iffy on the release month that's enough of an answer for me. I'll try to just forget about the game till after the new year.

Thanks for the update. It gives me a ballpark and hopefully will keep me from checking back again and again.

Archived