All the #gates

Roland

That list is great Roland! So many memories... thanks for posting! :-]

BTW: I think there was also a "Wooden Bow Nerf Gate" at some point... TFP decided the basic bow was too OP and in the next release they nerfed it heavily. After the uprising of all the forums (both Official and Steam) they "nerfed the nerf" with some patch and all was ok again. :-D

That list is great Roland! So many memories... thanks for posting! :-]

BTW: I think there was also a "Wooden Bow Nerf Gate" at some point... TFP decided the basic bow was too OP and in the next release they nerfed it heavily. After the uprising of all the forums (both Official and Steam) they "nerfed the nerf" with some patch and all was ok again. :-D

And hallelujah for that change. I still remember in early A13 how a gray bow meant you'd be needing 5-10 headshots per zombie. Even on Low spawn I found that so tedious I quickly quit using the bow and resorted to spreading spikes everywhere to clear POIs.

• 1 year later...
Communities have history and the most interesting happenings in our forums are the various nerdrage-filled gates that would occur time and again during the last four years. Some seem ridiculous now and others are probably a bit "too soon" for anyone to feel comfortable mentioning. But suck it up because here is the comprehensive list as far as I can recall and I'd love for others to contribute if you remember....

snip

2-Block Jump Gate: For a short time a bug was left in the game that let players do a sort of double jump to be able to "climb" over a two block high wall. When TFP rectified the situation it sent a good portion of the community over the edge. Builders claimed they'd never be able to build as well without it. Hardcore players claimed it made the game too easy. The word "carebear" became outlawed....

Can someone fill me on what happened with this controversy? It seems like it's a relevant issue again since we have 2-block-high jumps in A17.

Simple. There was a kind of double jump you could pull off to scale over 2m high walls. It was only a thing for a couple months (updates were faster back then) and then it was removed. TFP claimed it was a bug. Lots of people really liked it and posted very familiar aggressive and rude posts pretty much claiming the exact same things being claimed now by those who are angry.

Some felt it was OP and others felt it made sense and so should be in the game. Lots of claims by people (who incidentally also claimed 1000s of hours of sitting in a chair playing this game that they could easily jump and climb over a 2m wall).

“The open world is dead now!”

“Development by subtraction!”

“At least leave it moddable!”

“Why does TFP hate builders!?!?!?”

“Why remove such a core feature!?!??!”

Plus all the conspiracy theories that it wasn’t a bug at all and the devs were lying...

Standard fare.

Never seen this thread before, brilliant, it needs A17 update as we have just as much if not more complaining from vocal minority refusing to adap changes.

Yep need to add

#DifficultyGate

#LevelgateGate

#GunPartsGate

#DiggingZombieGate

My personal fav has to be the gun parts... they are so stupid and bland and some people like them better than mods

- - - Updated - - -

Cant say I see the point of this thread beyond trying to rub salt in wounds, lots of these things people are still very unhappy about.

Ahhhhh.... Poor baby

Yep need to add

#DifficultyGate

#LevelgateGate

#GunPartsGate

#DiggingZombieGate

My personal fav has to be the gun parts... they are so stupid and bland and some people like them better than mods

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhhhh.... Poor baby

U forgot the Stamina Gate :jaded:

I have only been here since a14, but the amount of unhappy posts of a17 cant even be compared to a15 and 16 release. The general feeling I got reading topics on those 2 releases, were happy ones. OFC I read bad ones too, and more specifically, complains listed in the first post of this topic, so I find the "gates" listing quite interesting. But still, I saw much more hapiness than sadness on those 2 releases.

On a17 on the other hand, I see more unhappiness than happiness. By quite a margin. Cant say in previous versions, but I wouldnt put a17 on the same level as a15 and a16. And I wouldnt call a17 displeased players a minority like in the other cases.

refusing to adap changes.

It's that easy right? Changes can't be bad?

17e is improving fast and its really fun to play again, people will always have niggles with gameplay . Latest improvements to stamina running distance etc have really helped, rwg is almost fixed and looks much better.

There will always be a gate because there are so many different views on how to play . Take dog/wolf gate for example, point out that they run faster than you in real life and should in game and sit back and wait for the resulting shouts of unfairness and difficulty. Multiply that by a thousand and thank god its TFP taking on the job of sorting it all out!

Broken leg gate was hilarious, you could literally break your leg just by walking! Limping around for hours on end and breaking it again after two minutes made me so furious my family thought i was losing it! Certainly made life interesting for a bit!

• 2 weeks later...

Broken Leg Gate: When Alpha 11 dropped it included a new debuff: The Broken Leg. No more could people just willy nilly jump off the roof of their 3-story base. Now they had to use ladders or aim for hay bales or descend stairs. The rage was intense and the game had officially lost its fun as people began for the first time hobbling around at reduced speed.

And finally in A17 they made the broken legs a permanent feature for new players, but named it "out of Stamina"

btw Roland, why do you list all these things i mod out of the game XD

And finally in A17 they made the broken legs a permanent feature for new players, but named it "out of Stamina"

btw Roland, why do you list all these things i mod out of the game XD

I would like to point out that "Broken Leg Gate" was much less about the ability to break your leg as it was about the frequency with which it occurred.

Climb down a ladder. Broken leg.

Climb up a ladder. Broken leg.

Walk over a stone. Broken leg.

Dig a hole. Broken leg.

Went on like that for 8 months. Acting like the peanut gallery was just behaving immaturely about the issue is being disingenuous.

Let's not forget "Deadly Tree Gate" where the act of chopping down a tree was the most dangerous thing one could do in the game.

This thread is still alive? i have not seen it since i first joined the forums back in a13? then i picked up kenshi and that game ate most of my life, and 2000 hours later i got sick of it and went back to 7 days to die, but forgot my old user name and password so made a cooler username instead.

then #hungergate hit and some japanese guy playing kenshi made a star wars mod,and some weeabo made a tokyo ghoul mod, and now i am back playing that game again.

This thread is still alive? i have not seen it since i first joined the forums back in a13? then i picked up kenshi and that game ate most of my life, and 2000 hours later i got sick of it and went back to 7 days to die, but forgot my old user name and password so made a cooler username instead.

then #hungergate hit and some japanese guy playing kenshi made a star wars mod,and some weeabo made a tokyo ghoul mod, and now i am back playing that game again.

Says it was last edited in 2017.

Wonder if Roland is going to update it once A17 hits stable.

How did I not never see this thread. Thanks whoever necro'd it. Was a nice trip down memory lane and some good laughs for a night of insomnia. Now I'm going back to bed.

And yes, I think A17 will have too many gates to add to this thread but will need its own instead. :p

Archived