All the #gates

Roland

Yeah! Tell'em Roland!

I don't doubt that there'll be more gates to come. This goes with 'paying for early access.'

For most of us we came in at 15.2 and it's been great! Although there have been a few bugs that directly effected us, we surmounted those problems. We're loving every minute of play we get! Sure at times there are things we don't like or care about, but lets move forward towards BETA! On a personal level I still think there should be a release that solely focuses on a some fixes. Like the map 'disappearing'/'going grey'/'blank' after I've been somewhere. Could be that I've been there too many times? Donno...

The best quote from all the gates: "...but the devs didn't care."

YEAH!

LOL. I started right at the tail end of the Minimap removal gate.

Also Roland, you forgot Stick Gate, and Where Did All My Meat Go Gate.

StickGate was part of SimplificationGate (or StreamlineGate), where ores became parts of their original (stone ore => rockSmall, sticks + planks + logs => wood, deer meat + rabbit meat + pig meat => meat, and all the other stuff).

I think the list is, however, missing ShadowGate (not the game) and HordeModeGate (was gone before 8.6 so I never saw it). Also, MoldGate (molding gun parts). I'm sure there are many others.

And where's CraftingGridGate?

i like the idea of a mini map, but without the blips. just a basic map to allow us to know whats around us since we can't exactly turn our heads while on the minibike.

as for console, i started 7d2d on ps4 & since buying the pc version i can't even touch the console. it lacks so much of what is in the pc version

StickGate was part of SimplificationGate (or StreamlineGate), where ores became parts of their original (stone ore => rockSmall, sticks + planks + logs => wood, deer meat + rabbit meat + pig meat => meat, and all the other stuff).

I think the list is, however, missing ShadowGate (not the game) and HordeModeGate (was gone before 8.6 so I never saw it). Also, MoldGate (molding gun parts). I'm sure there are many others.

And where's CraftingGridGate?

Boy do i miss hordemode. Too bad they didnt leave it in as is until they were ready to focus on it. Im sure there was a good reason to remove it...

Stamina Gate: A16.1 brought an unwelcome change to stamina for many in the community. Stamina cost for using iron and steel tools was severely increased making using those tools a bad choice during the early game before perks and higher mining tool levels could be earned and coffee imbibed. Quite a few threads and posts debating the issue emerged. The jury is still out on whether stamina will remain as it is or change to more like it was.

Didn't like the stamina gate at first, but now I think new stamina requirements for steel tools is GREAT thing because:

These stamina issues are easily mitigated by the drinking of coffee for stamina and golden tea to offset the wellness loss caused by drinking the coffee. This causes the player to need to farm corps IF they want to mine/harvest efficiently.

TFP even considering undoing this Stamina Gate and considering reverting back to SpamCrafting worries me because those actions would imply that TFP is leaning towards a Care Bear whack-a-mole type of game, versus a challenging game that requires players to make many competing choices to succeed.

You don't want to farm for coffee and tea? Well then, your mining ability will suffer.

You don't want to scavenge and kill zombies, well then your crafting will suffer because you need to gain experience.

You don't want to craft, well then almost everything you need to do will suffer because you need better items to kills zombies and better items/materials to build better bases.

Just say NO to a Care Bear whack a mole game. Just say no to folks that want a game where they can rush to end game status.

The fun is in the journey, not the destination.

I love the stamina change, it made beer and coffee relevant and worth growing. I like that they are making it so everything has a reason to be in the game. I always take a few jars of coffee with me when going to to get materials, its not a problem at all.

Reading the OP i'm surprised they didnt just delete the forum lol. I am glad they stick to their guns and don't cave in to most of the moaning.

Great read Roland. Chimney gate was my favorite. Although, even though it was before my time, I've read stories about "smooth terrain gate" when they changed word gen from the blocky Minecraft look to the smoothed terrain we see today. Thanks for the memories!

A17 gates to look forward to:

Zip line gate

Too short of a release gate

Smell gate

Game is unplayable gate

I added in some of the requested gates. Some of the suggested ones were sort of included in with others but sell your reason why it should be its own and I'll do it.

I don't have time to think about where to insert all the new ones so if you remember then tell me and sorry Lazer but I don't remember controversy regarding shadows. Help me out and jog my memory...

As a new player who enjoys this game as it is, these 'gates gave me a good chuckle. Good write-ups!

Sorry if this sounds insensitive to the pains of older players, but most of these seems too trivial to fight over.

Perhaps someone should stage an intervention, letting madmole only create the male game-models and giving the creation of female game-models to one of the women on staff.

yes! enough beards, bring in the high and long pigtails!

You could also add BeardGate. When Madmole said he would eat his beard if A16 stable wasn't out by..was it July 4th? (Not sure on the exact date.)

Some users said Madmole should literally eat this beard, others said no, Madmole said he didn't remember saying it. He was strangely absent from the forum for a few weeks.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly - some of the decisions TFP has made over the years are truly bizarre and caused an understandable uproar. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Roland. This is a good reminder to all the "TFP can do no wrong" people around here.

Oh, wait. This wasn't your point, was it?:jaded:

Characterizing the reaction to some of the questionable design decisions as "nerdrage" is rather inaccurate. While many of these issues had their fair share of the vocal minority blowing things out of proportion, I find there is typically a lot of good debate on both sides of any argument, and that includes #levelgate.

#One-block gate: now that the sleeper system is in, I think the primary reason for reverting it is gone now.

#Legbreak gate: I broke my leg running uphill. I broke my leg because I stepped on a rabbit. I broke my leg because I landed 2 blocks down while stepping off some stairs in a hurry. That one was a major problem and I resorted to consoling the debuff off because it was not only happening so frequently, in those days the debuff lasted many hours in realtime, so it was particularly punishing.

#Console gate: Ever since the console release, development time between Alphas has been noticeably longer. It's fine to claim that it isn't affecting the speed of PC development, but the correlation is there so it will raise eyebrows if nothing else.

#Spamcrafting gate: The wrong solution was chosen, so this debate probably won't go away for a long time. We'll be feeling the effects into Beta, mark my words.

#Harvest gate: An unsurprising change to the early game to slow it down for the 80th time. Luckily it is not a problem for very long, and the end result has been the final death of wood structures since they're weak against zombies anyway, their only benefit was how fast they could be built earlygame.

#1-Shot gate: Luckily that one was reverted, because the reasoning for it was dubious at best. Spending the points to unlock 5/5 ST, 5/5 M69R, steel, and getting a 600 QL steel pickaxe should let you AoE stone because it takes so bloody long to get. Making it so it took 2 shots was insulting and only resulted in players not bothering to progress to the max while it was in effect (I modded it out every time because it was that bad of a change)

#Horde mode gate: I believe it was removed because the then-new addition of the Day 7 hordes were viewed as a potential replacement. For those that mod, this is rather simple to reproduce, for those that don't, it's a true loss.

No mention of Dog Gate? It has evolved many times over the years. Currently it is evolved into random animal gate. :p

In the past, peoplr complained they ran to fast, chased you forever, etc. Etc.

And in response, dog speed was increased to exceed the player's speed in A14-15. :tickled_pink:

Did they revert that?

Ya know its funny i was actually going to make a post today about the trees and wondering why TFP took it out. Then again i was one of the ones who rarely if ever died (though it took a while to find out where to stand).

Also id say that the newest ones are likely as Laz Man said

1: doggate - run to fast, wolves (of many types), too much damage, etc.

and:

2: soundgate - the silent zombie and dog hordes i see complained about on the forums.

maybe:

3: radiationgate - dunno if it is a "gate" level yet but i have seen some posts on the irradiated zombies. most are still civil but some are getting a bit loud

Ya know its funny i was actually going to make a post today about the trees and wondering why TFP took it out. Then again i was one of the ones who rarely if ever died (though it took a while to find out where to stand).

Also id say that the newest ones are likely as Laz Man said

1: doggate - run to fast, wolves (of many types), too much damage, etc.

and:

2: soundgate - the silent zombie and dog hordes i see complained about on the forums.

maybe:

3: radiationgate - dunno if it is a "gate" level yet but i have seen some posts on the irradiated zombies. most are still civil but some are getting a bit loud

bah, in one form or another dogs have always been a gate at one point or another. Sound gate is a reoccurring issue as well, again in one form or another.

After going down memory lane while reading all of these, it makes me thankful the Devs have a pretty good idea when to listen to the community and when not to.

For instance, currently over in the alpha 16 dev thread, they are debating to the nth degree if the new paint system is good or not. Yes...even the PAINT system!!! OMG...it's Paint Gate... shoot me now.

It just goes to prove you can't make everyone happy. Fortunately, the devs have a good foundation of what they want and mostly stick to it.

Archived