Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

I'm a bit concerned about the zombie hp buffs. I just saw a video about it, so I'll withhold judgement until I give it a try, but some of the tanky zombies are already ridiculously tanky early-midgame, espescially given the low stamina capacities early on. Rage mode already made fighting tanky enemies very frustrating (at least to me), having to disengage and re-engage constantly in order to avoid hits, dragging a fight out for longer, and often luring in even more enemies. Espescially bikers given their insane running speed. The combat isn't anything super engaging doing repeatedly imo (espescially with melee) so having fights take even longer immediately gives me a bit of a bad feeling. I hope the other balance changes and armor buffs helps to counterbalance this, but I don't know yet.

Edited by User (see edit history)

After playing since A15 I was hoping that with 1.0 we would finally get a bit of storyline. It's been 11 years and we still don't have a plot, we don't have npcs besides the traders. We don't even know who does the air drops. We don't have an endgame purpose. Our character doesn't have any backstory. I was really hoping that when we got the fully game there would be some of this element. Missions about discovering what happened to the world, each character having their own personally traits. Honestly the thing with the most personality in this game is the drone. In some survival games the character talks to themselves, which would be good. Or have a pet/companion like in fallout. 

It would be good as well to be able to do more things as a character. I like to build and explore, I only do combat when I'm forced and I've played alot of run throughs without zombies. I'll do the basic trader missions but then do my own thing. I'd suggest that one future storyline is that instead of having all the traders set up from the start. You as a player have a starting trader that you have to find or pick from various npcs, build a base for invite them to trade at thats secure, and then you can manage them, you find/craft supplies that they can sell/upgrade the base. And then you do the same in new regions or with other jobs eg rebuild/securethe farms, which supply food to trader, empty hospitals which might open up a doctor you can visit. 

1.0 looks great, will def play if the laptop can support it, if not I'll wait for ps5. Above is prob never going to happen but thought I'd share my thoughts. 7dtd to a great game, I've always played it mainly as a crafting and building game. I just think the options for playing the game could be more interesting and diverse. Think raiders, storyline etc is going to be great when it comes. 

8 hours ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

There is still this little thing below, and I still do hold a grudge
alpha 16 -> bandits delayed to alpha 17
alpha 17 -> bandits delayed to alpha 18
alpha 18 -> bandits delayed to alpha 19
alpha 19 -> bandits delayed to alpha 20 ....

I could go like this for hours...

I feel you man... I was disappointed too when bandits were delayed yet another time.

However, we need to understand that writing the bandits' AI in this specific game (fully destructible voxel world), will be an outstanding achievement.

I'm not sure even our good @faatal will be able to pull it off!

Such a complex AI (if done good) it's a huge can of worms! 

7 hours ago, Guppycur said:

... You know if you were this persistent about zip lines, we would be flying around right about now... 

Technically I got them to waste a few months of time testing zip lines out that they would ultimately decide they couldn't do. You're welcome community. Delayed bandits is on me. Result: I'm no longer the Super Moderator. It's a cautionary tale, for sure... ;)

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

15 hours ago, dcsobral said:

Quest reward: one (1) bacon and eggs. I'm fairly sure you use more food running to the quest site and back than you'd get with that reward.

There is some important information missing here: What was found in the chest? How much food could have been bought with the dukes given for the quest?

17 hours ago, dcsobral said:

Here's a potential bug report. I'm watching Kraken and Grand Spartan, and whereas Kraken got the shovel before getting the Buried Supplies quest, Grand Spartan got the shovel AFTER completing the Buried Supplies quest!!! The difference: Grand Spartan had not opened the Challenges Window before visiting the trader.

Was the shovel some guaranteed quest reward or a random find? If the latter, why shouldn't players simply craft one to do the dig quest.

12 hours ago, Guppycur said:

... You know if you were this persistent about zip lines, we would be flying around right about now... 

Not ziplines, but vehicles feel pretty good flying off ramps.  😁

Some people forget that when the a21 exp version came out, it also had performance issues. Because it's exp. 
Exp does not display the final status of a major update.
Some conclusions can be drawn after the release of the stable version in July.

What is yalls favorite armor? 

My favorite is Nomad, athlete and preacher... just for looks. And some for ability... but 

Off topic l think some armors should be nerfed or buffed for other uses. Like biker gloves buff melee, but it should be for specific weapons or even builds! Like cuz bikers like to fight alot, maybe it buffs shotguns and knuckle weapons. 

While so something like raider should buff hammers and maybe also shotguns.  

Have sets for different builds like the assassin I'd greatly cuz it gives you a armor not just anyone can wear. 

I would love it if they would increase the height of the food and water bars. Even just 2 or 3 pixels. I know, at least for me, sometimes it gets lost in the background. Very hard to make out.

I know there is a mod for it. I already use it but just thought it was an easy fix for them as it just involves changing 2 numbers (from 8 to about 11)

Then everyone benefits. Except those who don't want any indicators.

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Roland said:

Technically I got them to waste a few months of time testing zip lines out that they would ultimately decide they couldn't do. You're welcome community. Delayed bandits is on me. Result: I'm no longer the Super Moderator. It's a cautionary tale, for sure... ;)

Hey Roland, I remember those conversations. What do you think about grappling hooks, lateral only, now that we can also climb prefabbed ropes on trailers?

C'mon,  this is the generation of throwing caution to the wind, well smart money is on downwind only. 😉

You are what you do.

That was just a title, you will always be held as our personal Trolland Roland, our own forum Master
Debater until Underverse comes. 🙇

Edited by 4sheetzngeegles (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, 4sheetzngeegles said:

Hey Roland, I remember those conversations. What do you think about grappling hooks, lateral only, now that we can also climb prefabbed ropes on trailers?

C'mon,  this is the generation of throwing caution to the wind, well smart money is on downwind only. 😉

I'm for any fun improvements to mobility so grappling hooks would be awesome as would a Zelda Glider....

39 minutes ago, Roland said:

I'm for any fun improvements to mobility so grappling hooks would be awesome as would a Zelda 

Jet packs would be more useful than gyrocopter. Maybe combined with a glider suit. I always felt like you should get to top of a skyscraper and get a gift of being able to jump off and glide to safety after a hard bloody session inside. 

Edited by Immhotep (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Doomofman said:

Do we know if 1.0 defaults to running in DX11 or DX12 (which according to the release notes performs worse than DX11)? From all the streams I've watched so far, performance seems slightly worse than A21 across the board

It defaults to DX11. DX12 is not useful in our limited testing. The mention of DX12 should not even be in the notes.

6 minutes ago, faatal said:

It defaults to DX11. DX12 is not useful in our limited testing. The mention of DX12 should not even be in the notes.

Ah OK. You had a chance to watch any gameplay? Spotted any quick wins?

11 minutes ago, Immhotep said:

Jet packs would be more useful than gyrocopter. Maybe combined with a glider suit. I always felt like you should get to top of a skyscraper and get a gift of being able to jump off and glide to safety after a hard bloody session inside. 

Yeah, I too prefer "any semi plausible option" like these vs a pill/consumeable like the "oh @%$#z drops" to just jump off of anything (or falling out of gyrocopter) and have a soft landing.  Any kind of gliding/falling with some steering would additionally just be fun to do. I do like the jankiness/difficulty of the gyro, but a jetpack would also be fun (even if a bit less plausible than building a gyrocopter by hand).

just thinking: in terms of balancing against OPness (ha) for horde and pvp, a glider or parachute or anything probably would need to be "slowish" just so vultures can get to you while gliding, but also for chunk loading issues.

2 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Not ziplines, but vehicles feel pretty good flying off ramps.  😁

I hold the stones in my hand and inhale the incense...I feel... i feel the universe talking to me...its saying... it says now in unison: "rocket booster vehicle mod attachments".

TFP: make it so.

35 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

Ah OK. You had a chance to watch any gameplay? Spotted any quick wins?

Oh, we have watched plenty of streamers. Answer the occasional questions.

My daughter and I played about 3 hours last night. The plan was to go to the burnt forest based on my vague recollection of the RWG map. Not gotten there yet. Did the dig quest at Rekt and hit the road. Total nomads. No chests. Carry the basics and make the hard choices on what to keep. Made wasteland be the middle.

We did the tier 4 Aranea Caverns, which was a lot of fun having to be careful and outwit the zombies (nice job Earl). My usual agility build and she strength. We will make a base in either burnt forest or maybe move on through to desert. First horde will be on the roof of some building.

Edited by faatal (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, falloutcloud said:

Did anyone put together a list of all the new armor bonuses?

The TL;DW is many of the individual armour bonuses and set bonuses are either very niche or greatly underwhelming, some are mediocre, and a few (ex. Preacher gloves) are incredibly powerful. The meta has already been developed, as shown in the video above, and I presume few players will feel compelled to step away from it outside of roleplay. Some pieces are too powerful to ignore for day-to-day use or during horde nights at the very least, such as the aforementioned glove piece.

It's beyond min maxing at this point. Ignoring 60% zombie damage (Preacher gloves) just isn't smart cricket. 🤷‍♀️

The more I've been thinking about 1.0, the more I hope dealing with the climate wasn't removed entirely?

I saw that we just get resistances now so the climate system is still technically in the game? I hope so because it seems like if you're not cold in the snow biome then it's a massive winner in terms of setting up a base in it as it's now all upside? Besides the 1.5 skull bonus, there's generally better lines of sight, more XP from randomly-spawned beasts and zombies, and easier water supply (due to smoothies).

If a blizzard still makes you cold, with the attendant effects at least that's something, and you can mess around with the values with mods if you want to make things harder, but I definitely hope the system wasn't stripped from the game entirely.

2 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

What is yalls favorite armor? 

My favorite is Nomad, athlete and preacher... just for looks. And some for ability... but 

Off topic l think some armors should be nerfed or buffed for other uses. Like biker gloves buff melee, but it should be for specific weapons or even builds! Like cuz bikers like to fight alot, maybe it buffs shotguns and knuckle weapons. 

While so something like raider should buff hammers and maybe also shotguns.  

Have sets for different builds like the assassin I'd greatly cuz it gives you a armor not just anyone can wear. 

The designs are overall fine, but some of the numbers on those armour pieces are just wacky, like the Preacher gloves just flat-out make no sense to me. They're insane. Same with the nerd hat. Really hoping we see some numeric-value balancing prompted by feedback during the experimental month.