Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

51 minutes ago, AlexsandrDark said:

To implement a large flock, I think you can try to reduce the intelligence of mobs in 7DTD in order to free up resources, and also divide them into groups and individuals, groups will have one intelligence, and individuals will have the appearance of diversity. This is roughly how it works in Days Gone

https://youtu.be/g2uQq36ec1M

that won't work in 7D2D. You forget this is a fully voxel and destructible world.

You can't calculate the path a "group" will follow because 1 entity will occupy 1 block (+1 vertically). Unless you want them all to move in a silly single line.

On 5/13/2024 at 7:01 AM, AlexsandrDark said:

SNIP (doesn't like reactive zambs)

I get what you are putting down.  I believe the lore for these zambees is more akin to the walking dead, where they are infected by a virus.  So they aren't exactly undead zombies, but more like 27 days later.

It definitely provides life sustaining qualities like the crawlers, and mutations like the @%$#.

Dear TFP

I have a few things on my mind.

I am excited about the look of my new player character.
Along with that feeling I am curious as to what the character making features will be.
In the past, I had Grand Admiral Thrawn and Shrek on my server.

The renewal of the equipment is also highly anticipated. Of course you can paint it colors, right?

One thing I've not seen mentioned or asked yet - the helipads at the trader compounds. Are those still going to be or do something? I didn't see them mentioned on the roadmap either.

22 minutes ago, Old Crow said:

One thing I've not seen mentioned or asked yet - the helipads at the trader compounds. Are those still going to be or do something? I didn't see them mentioned on the roadmap either.

I don't remember where it was said by TFP (possibly the Neebs interview) but there will at least be no fast travel, which is what some expected the helipads to be for. 

17 hours ago, AlexsandrDark said:

To implement a large flock, I think you can try to reduce the intelligence of mobs in 7DTD in order to free up resources, and also divide them into groups and individuals, groups will have one intelligence, and individuals will have the appearance of diversity. This is roughly how it works in Days Gone

https://youtu.be/g2uQq36ec1M

I have a menu options mod by WookieNookie installed which gives you the option to increase the number of zombie spawns. I increased it to 150 zombies at once and just played a game with it. There were zombies everywhere. It made Tier 1 POIs very difficult because they were constantly being broken into by a number of outside zombies. I have a really good PC and the performance didn't seem to be impacted much. I didn't run a benchmark but I kept an eye on the FPS and it seemed to run close to how it usually does.

They weren't grouped up, but I wasn't envisioning a gigantic World War Z type horde anyway. I was thinking more like 30-40 zombies in a wandering horde and a constant presence of zombies sprinkled everywhere. But more balanced like how you'd see it in stuff like the Walking Dead. Higher concentrations in formally high populated areas, and lower concentrations in areas like the forest. 

4 hours ago, Old Crow said:

From what I understand this is groundwork for a future feature.

On 5/15/2024 at 12:50 AM, Jost Amman said:

that won't work in 7D2D. You forget this is a fully voxel and destructible world.

You can't calculate the path a "group" will follow because 1 entity will occupy 1 block (+1 vertically). Unless you want them all to move in a silly single line.

they could certainly use Unity's new ECS system though. but the zombies are far from the only performance issues with this game.

22 hours ago, Arez said:

I don't remember where it was said by TFP (possibly the Neebs interview) but there will at least be no fast travel, which is what some expected the helipads to be for. 

That combined with what Rick started saying in one interview/dev stream, last year... probably why Lathan has to babysit him.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Old Crow said:

probably why Lathan has to babysit him.

I don't think Rick needs babysitting by anyone. He's one of the founders of TFP, if he wants (even accidentally) to leak stuff, he can.

This narrative that has gone around for years that Rick and Joel somehow have to answer to their employees it's kind of ridiculous frankly.

I'm not attacking you, I'm just saying this condescending attitude is kind of ludicrous, don't you think?

7 hours ago, Yakov said:

they could certainly use Unity's new ECS system though. but the zombies are far from the only performance issues with this game.

I don't even know what ECS is... I'm not a programmer.

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

I don't think Rick needs babysitting by anyone. He's one of the founders of TFP, if he wants (even accidentally) to leak stuff, he can.

This narrative that has gone around for years that Rick and Joel somehow have to answer to their employees it's kind of ridiculous frankly.

I'm not attacking you, I'm just saying this condescending attitude is kind of ludicrous, don't you think?

In small companies with employees often also being friends this is possible. It could even be that Rick or Joel themselves tell someone to stop them if they start to leak something they don't want.

Not saying this is actually the case.

9 hours ago, Old Crow said:

That combined with what Rick started saying in one interview/dev stream, last year... probably why Lathan has to babysit him.

7 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I don't even know what ECS is... I'm not a programmer.

My take on it is sort of similar to Old Crows...slightly.

I think Rick is so excited with the game that he sometimes projects what he hopes they can add or stuff they are currently attempting to put in the game but not 100% if it will work out.

Lathan being lead on stuff being worked on sort of tries to be more practical of what is feasible. I think Lathan likes to keep it to what he knows is possible than what is probable.

Not trying to put words in your mouth Prime lol, just my take on some stuff I have read over the years.

Yeah, about what Rick said, it was in one of the last dev streams about A21. Cool idea, indeed, but Lathan knew that some words need to not be said as it would make some noise. I remember Joel talking about a blimp also.

The thing is the game can have some really good stuff which the modders have undoubtedly proved, but also devs need to stick to their plan

Sooo, fingers crossed 🍀 

17 minutes ago, Gamida said:

My take on it is sort of similar to Old Crows...slightly.

I think Rick is so excited with the game that he sometimes projects what he hopes they can add or stuff they are currently attempting to put in the game but not 100% if it will work out.

Lathan being lead on stuff being worked on sort of tries to be more practical of what is feasible. I think Lathan likes to keep it to what he knows is possible than what is probable.

Not trying to put words in your mouth Prime lol, just my take on some stuff I have read over the years.

I get that vibe too, and i kinda feel that they talk about stuff in person a lot and when "live" someone (anyone) may forget past discussions a bit and veer towards talking about things either "not explicitly agreed to release at this time" or just "oh, this is straying from the stuff we *know* is going to happen and is more *may* happen and we know how the public likes to jump on new info" so someone feels the need to jump in/interrupt to give a second of pause to steer it back to "the script" even though i feel there isn't actually a script its probably just more of a rough outline/list of topics to cover.

i don't know why people seem to take every word said in basically a "informal online update" as literal truth to hold to the fire (unless its to drum up support and hope the idea(s) will actually be implemented?). TFP IMHO has always felt pretty loosey goosey with their informal discussions, which i personally like because if they mentioned something (even if its hopes and dreams) its nice to know what they are thinking/joking about.

What happened to the small or large areas of radiation in the wasteland?  I suggest a hazmat suit that protects the player when they enter the area for a limited time.

1 hour ago, HB_H4wk said:

What happened to the small or large areas of radiation in the wasteland?  I suggest a hazmat suit that protects the player when they enter the area for a limited time.

I imagine that might come with the biome progression overhaul in the "Storms Brewing" update in Q4

13 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Rick does indeed need babysitting at times since, somtimes he gives date estimates that turns out to be way off, and that triggers some people. I have no problem with it myself because those are not official date announcements.

I get it that Rick is over enthusiastic and excited to get the next version out to us all; I would be too. But I remember, both Joel and Lathan saying to Rick to not do it, and not give a date that they clearly thought they might not make.

So, if brother and co-founder Joel says not to say it, then one is jumping the gun and needs to be told what to say or not say.

Let me remind you Rick has done it many times already. I do share his enthusiasm and dedication, but TFP should agree on what can and cannot be said before doing a stream, or whatever.

On 3/25/2024 at 10:38 AM, POCKET951 said:

I got my hands on the Alpha 22 experimental build TFP was showing off on consoles at Paxeast.  I found something in my playthrough that hasn't  been announced in the alpha 22 dev diary yet. 😅 not sure if I'm allowed to spill and I also don't want to steal TFP's thunder.

@Roland 

So some people have already hinted at it in this thread but in the alpha 22 console demo there is a rare item you can find, and it is a crafting component for quality 6/legendary items.(it was in the items description what it was used for) so I don't know if quality 6 item/legendary items will be ready for 1.0(it would make sense though since I could see it all as part of the new armor system update)

I am excited for quality 6/legendary item crafting to come to the game though, and I think alot of others will be too because I know people on the forums have always asked about Q6 crafting or the possibility of legendary items since they exist in mods like Undead Legacy

@faatal Hello, I have a couple of questions. 1. Will the console version have keyboard and mouse support? 2. Will it be possible to change the language in the game itself without reinstalling it by changing the region on the console? 3. What will be the approximate weight of the game on the console.

9 hours ago, POCKET951 said:

So some people have already hinted at it in this thread but in the alpha 22 console demo there is a rare item you can find, and it is a crafting component for quality 6/legendary items.(it was in the items description what it was used for) so I don't know if quality 6 item/legendary items will be ready for 1.0(it would make sense though since I could see it all as part of the new armor system update)

I am excited for quality 6/legendary item crafting to come to the game though, and I think alot of others will be too because I know people on the forums have always asked about Q6 crafting or the possibility of legendary items since they exist in mods like Undead Legacy

They showed it to the public so I believe it's fair game. Yes, Tier 6 gear will once again be craftable as long as you have a legendary part to include in the recipe. These are quite rare. Tier 6 recipes have been added into the magazine ladders. More details on that will have to be revealed by devs. Nice catch!

10 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

Busting this back out from the A21 thread

I will be honest. I would not be surprised if we don't see nearly as much as what we usually get in the developer streams. I imagine they are "all hands on deck" pushing to make certain that the 1.0 release is a solid and complete as it can be. 

20 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

I will be honest. I would not be surprised if we don't see nearly as much as what we usually get in the developer streams. I imagine they are "all hands on deck" pushing to make certain that the 1.0 release is a solid and complete as it can be. 

I've been assuming it'll be one like maybe hour long stream and that'll be it. Not like there's a huge amount of big changes to show off but it's become part of the build up to a release so something is better than nothing