Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

Starting to see guesses on what dates the experimental will drop, but for me, it doesn't get real until we start seeing the posts complaining about how unfair it is for Streamers to get Alpha22 / 1.0 prior to them.  That is when I know it is just around the corner  😏

3 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Starting to see guesses on what dates the experimental will drop, but for me, it doesn't get real until we start seeing the posts complaining about how unfair it is for Streamers to get Alpha22 / 1.0 prior to them.  That is when I know it is just around the corner

I've been joking with friends that because of Murphy's Law I suspect the experimental release drops while I'm traveling.

13 minutes ago, zztong said:

I've been joking with friends that because of Murphy's Law I suspect the experimental release drops while I'm traveling.

Same here, will be away for 10 days in mid-June and guessing it will release then.

2 hours ago, DocRussel said:

Same here, will be away for 10 days in mid-June and guessing it will release then.

2 hours ago, zztong said:

Can you both please be away June 1st then? 😍

I don't think it'll be June 1st or the weekend after that, I mentioned in a previous post why I don't think it would be the weekend of the 7th but to add to that, there's been talk of dev streams so if there IS more than 1 and they're usually a week apart, that would rule out the first two weekends in June

If I was to bet, I'd say the weekends of either the 14th or 21st

2 hours ago, zztong said:

I got some things coming up too that I will be away from home so no gaming for me during those times.  Knowing my luck, I figured the release happens around then.  On the positive side, I could use that to counter the Release it earlier crowd by complaining it should be released later since I can't play it until I get back  😁

2 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

New zombie skins

20240522_113128.jpg

20240522_113137.jpg

20240522_113145.jpg

I like these and they could fit for a bowling league (mainly the second one), but is it just me or do these look like they are from the 50s?  I don't really mind, but it feels odd that they aren't dressed in a more modern style.  But who knows?  Maybe the 1950s style will make a comeback in the mid 2030s.  ;)

3 hours ago, Doomofman said:

I don't think it'll be June 1st or the weekend after that, I mentioned in a previous post why I don't think it would be the weekend of the 7th but to add to that, there's been talk of dev streams so if there IS more than 1 and they're usually a week apart, that would rule out the first two weekends in June

If I was to bet, I'd say the weekends of either the 14th or 21st

I think Experimental could come out one of those days... It would need to since experimental generally lasts a couple weeks before stable.  The stable release is the big release, and if they want to make a big splash with 1.0 stable out before July, experimental needs to come out toward the begining of June.

Also, even with console slipping to July, they still need enough time to patch all the bugs found in experimental, send the code to the console side, and run all those fixes through the console QA process to make sure it plays nice with the console hardware.  If experimental releases toward the end of June, I don't see the console release making it past QA in July...

Posted (edited)

I've been following along for quite some time now.. I can't remember an example of TFP running ahead of any estimated release. if this thing comes out in June, it'll be the 29th. 22nd is extremely optimistic.

[No hard feelings, calling it like I see it.]

Edited by Mister Forgash (see edit history)

On 5/20/2024 at 8:02 PM, Roland said:

We don't have exact dates but there will be a short experimental beta released on PC soon. It will go live for us on one of the upcoming Mondays following Memorial Day so possibly: June 3, June 10, or June 17 as the most likely candidates if they want to launch 1.0 for console before the end of June. Whatever Monday it launches there will be a streamer weekend during the 2-3 days before the beta launch.

So as long as they are still on schedule with their plans there will be a beta branch sometime during the first part of June and then 1.0 will release for both console and PC at the end of June. If they are behind schedule then the beta branch will hopefully release before the end of June with 1.0 for console and Steam launching in July. I don't think it would slip any later than that. The announcement wasn't an off-hand comment during an interview or wishful thinking by the owners. It was an intentional press release as part of their ongoing roadmap. So hopefully it is right on time with the caveat that sometimes stuff happens to delay slightly.

EDIT: I just read the blurb with the Hops pic and it says June for Steam and July for Console so it sounds like things slipped a bit. That means you can probably add June 24 as a possible Monday for the experimental launch.

Tasks are coming along, but multiple features are still in development and quite a few bugs to fix.

Console date was defined as July when 1.0 was announced.

2 hours ago, faatal said:

Tasks are coming along, but multiple features are still in development and quite a few bugs to fix.

So it did! Thanks for pointing that out! For whatever reason I was thinking it was all June. 

15 hours ago, Riamus said:

I like these and they could fit for a bowling league (mainly the second one), but is it just me or do these look like they are from the 50s?  I don't really mind, but it feels odd that they aren't dressed in a more modern style.  But who knows?  Maybe the 1950s style will make a comeback in the mid 2030s.  ;)

That's the "Regular Guy Look" from the 80s. He must've shopped at Monahan's Department Store. 

Easy-Money-jpg.jpg

7 hours ago, faatal said:

Wild to hear features are still in development for a supposedly long time planned 1.0 launch that's roughly a month away, figured it'd be all bug fixes and polishing at this point

2 hours ago, Doomofman said:

Wild to hear features are still in development for a supposedly long time planned 1.0 launch that's roughly a month away, figured it'd be all bug fixes and polishing at this point

Oh, the thrill ! I can't stand it. Will 1.0 be delivered in time, or will the world end? :ranger:

1 hour ago, Doomofman said:

That's not the point I was making but ok

Yeah, sorry, not a personal attack, I'm just saying that even if they delay the "officially confirmed official roadmap planned release" , it's still... whatever. Game'll be ready for 1.0 in the next few months anyway. Some incomplete features may be added later, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make much difference to me. We're almost there!

12 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Yeah, sorry, not a personal attack, I'm just saying that even if they delay the "officially confirmed official roadmap planned release" , it's still... whatever. Game'll be ready for 1.0 in the next few months anyway. Some incomplete features may be added later, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make much difference to me. We're almost there!

Sometimes I get caught up in the 1.0 label and forget that it's just A22 and it's not been planned any better than any other alpha release

It may not appear to be planned differently but the pressure to be more on time to what was publicly stated is much higher.  There was nothing binding A21 to the early May timeframe so slipping was acceptable but there is a console release that needs a PC 1.0 release to happen first.  The 1.0 release will happen closer to a defined schedule even if it becomes somewhat forced to happen.

5 hours ago, Doomofman said:

In any release, features are often still in development right up to experimental. Even some feature changes during experimental.

I started adding the new minibike model yesterday. That is a feature change as it shows mods added to it, but was not a high priority to me compared to many other tasks, so it has waited until now.

14 minutes ago, faatal said:

In any release, features are often still in development right up to experimental. Even some feature changes during experimental.

I started adding the new minibike model yesterday. That is a feature change as it shows mods added to it, but was not a high priority to me compared to many other tasks, so it has waited until now.

Oh weird, I though we had a seen in-game shots of the minibike already