a21.1 b6 cloth cost increase

fragtzack

I guess I'll be the one to point out, they forgot to increase the stack size to either 1000 or 1200. Leaving the stack size at 250 is the equivalent to it stacking to either 50 or 25 before the change.
Something's cost 5x as before and others are 10x

They also forgot to change the material value for bandages to 10 (it's still 1 (4 bandages scrap to 3 cloth), although I'd prefer 0 anyway, so there's no accidently scrapping FA bandages/kits)

I'm not complaining, just pointing out my observations

4 hours ago, FranticDan said:

I guess I'll be the one to point out, they forgot to increase the stack size to either 1000 or 1200. Leaving the stack size at 250 is the equivalent to it stacking to either 50 or 25 before the change.

They also forgot to change the material value for bandages to 10 (it's still 1 (4 bandages scrap to 3 cloth), although I'd prefer 0 anyway, so there's no accidently scrapping FA bandages/kits)

Those are good points. They seemed to have aimed to scale the cloth somehow. But this seems like something that is really in line with the changes they are testing. 

5 hours ago, FranticDan said:

Agree, good point! Increase the stack size to 1K please !

5 hours ago, FranticDan said:

Not sure if the stack size needs adapting as you still find the same amount of cloth as before. Which for example lead to about a full line of stacks of cloth in our groups parts chest after 4 weeks. Just now there will be an additional drain so there would be much less stacks there.

Sure, you may collect more cloth now because you actually need it, but I doubt you will normally get more than 250 cloth in a single scavening run before you head home to your base

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

3 hours ago, meganoth said:

Sure, you may collect more cloth now because you actually need it, but I doubt you will normally get more than 250 cloth in a single scavening run before you head home to your base

With the exception of clothing stores, you'll leave for a bunch of stacks if you scrap all the clothes since they give 37 each

17 hours ago, FranticDan said:

With the exception of clothing stores, you'll leave for a bunch of stacks if you scrap all the clothes since they give 37 each

Good point. You would expect to get out with "heaps of clothes" though, just like you would expect to get heaps of (healing) bandages when raiding the hospital

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Quite ridiculous imo. Feels sorta like you've just made things more expensive to account for faster progression than intended.
For example I could make a level 5 robotic sledge on day 3 but for the duct tape I'd need 500 cloth. I thought bones and water worked quite well already to slow down duct tape production.

Edit: just gonna add here I now think this is a bit of a kneejerk reaction. It isn't that bad. I still think it's a bit silly but 500 cloth is very easy to get

Edited by Gronal (see edit history)

you only have to find/raid one savage county store and scrap everyting you find in the racks, and you're done like forever.

One single t-shirt scraps for I think 37 cloth? Can't remember exactly, but I can tell I've got thousands of cloth.

Too early to determine it's working well long term and also for multiplayer, but from I've experienced, not scarce at all.

I think they doubled the amount of cloth to every cloth crafting thing ?  I tried crafting early game padded armour and holy chris* the amount of cloth needed for tier 3 padded armour set... I think I picked a football field of cotton for it ....

Well the overall reason would be "for better balance", but if you ask me that is a rather tedious task...because hoarders will hoard, no matter what.

I think TFP sometimes put a little bit too much thought and effort into those "small" changes that they feel will prevent people from having too much stacks of whatever, and call it "better balance"...but in the end they didn't really achieve anything with it.

Ah, whatever, we're still talking about  an alpha version of a game, so they're of course free to experiment with what works best, and that's fine.

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)

I didn't notice a patch note regarding this but the cost of crafting cloth armor and the pocket mods for the clothing (vs the ones for armor) has shot through the roof for me.  100 cloth for the chest piece and 50 cloth for the other pieces and 200 cloth for the pocket mods.  I usually craft a set of cloth armor on my play throughs so I'm pretty sure this wasn't added with A 21.  Has anyone else noticed this change or am I bugged.

To be fair, they also increased the amount of cloth you get from scrapping stuff.  I went through the Savage Country Superstore the other day, and came out with over 3200 cloth.

I do wish they'd increase the yield from curtains/couches/etc. as well.  There's almost no point to chopping them down anymore when they only give 2 cloth.

Edited by Vaeliorin (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

To be fair, they also increased the amount of cloth you get from scrapping stuff.  I went through the Savage Country Superstore the other day, and came out with over 3200 cloth.

I do wish they'd increase the yield from curtains/couches/etc. as well.  There's almost no point to chopping them down anymore when they only give 2 cloth.

I think they struck a good balance. I had so much cloth before it was silly.

I felt the same about the yield, but then I think they wanted to make it an early game struggle. I actually collected cotton to make myself a few bandages on day 1, which is something I haven't done in many alphas.

By week 2 it isn't an issue anymore.

1 hour ago, Krougal said:

I think they struck a good balance. I had so much cloth before it was silly.

I felt the same about the yield, but then I think they wanted to make it an early game struggle. I actually collected cotton to make myself a few bandages on day 1, which is something I haven't done in many alphas.

By week 2 it isn't an issue anymore.

Yeah, I always grow cotton (admittedly, I typically have 25 plots of every plant), but I almost never use it.  Used to having items that require cotton, but that mod just got updated a day or so ago.

It just feels like I'm wasting my time harvesting couches and curtains, but it's such a habit that I can't stop.

Edited by Vaeliorin (see edit history)

On 8/7/2023 at 7:18 AM, RipClaw said:

I wonder what the goal of this change is.

Introducing tedium for tedium's sake.  Penalizing us for playing too efficiently.

I'm sorry, but if my ancestors could see me digitally picking cotton on a massive cotton farm FOR FUN, I would deserve whatever haunting they decided to inflict on me as a result.  I've swallowed every single stupid change they made this alpha but this?  No.  @%$#, and I cannot stress this enough, this.  This is enough for me to uninstall and not look back.