Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

25 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

The team fully understands.  Character artist are busy with bandits and new player character models.  Character artists are also different from Environment Artists who specialize on environment art.  Hopefully once you play A21, you will change your mind regarding the updated decors. :)

But how much does it take to change the colors at least? shirt color, pants color.. simple things without changing the models so it looks a bit different and not repetitive?

2 minutes ago, saoron666 said:

But how much does it take to change the colors at least? shirt color, pants color.. simple things without changing the models so it looks a bit different and not repetitive?

Dev have said several times that it actually does take a lot of resources.  Apparently the lack of variables in zombie clothing, clothing color, or movement patterns is not due to lack of desire but rather balancing performance.

29 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

The team fully understands.  Character artist are busy with bandits and new player character models.  Character artists are also different from Environment Artists who specialize on environment art.  Hopefully once you play A21, you will change your mind regarding the updated decors. :)

for example; the Higashi Tower, you get 50 zombies all dressed in same black suit..all same look, same model, a little variety maybe?

i mean A21 Bandits didn't come into play for over 10 years now, right? they could focus a little on that part i think so it mixes with the new areas and environment.

i use to play FFXI, and for first 50 levels you had the same mobs, crabs, hares and lizards... >.> i remember how much people hated that.

4 minutes ago, DocRussel said:

Dev have said several times that it actually does take a lot of resources.  Apparently the lack of variables in zombie clothing, clothing color, or movement patterns is not due to lack of desire but rather balancing performance.

in that case, i wish they had attacked the zombie remodeling and not the water.. since the water doesn't have any benefits for the gameplay itself rather than looks better..

12 hours ago, CultOfMoose said:

And before get guys get butthurt about women asking to be treated like human beings instead of sex objects, hush, if you aren't a women you don't get to have an opinion on how we are allowed to feel.

{I've taken it upon myself to champion the other traditional guys here and temporarily identify as a woman in order to rebut your insinuation of men's butthurtness.}

As a woman who finds some women pretty...hot, I want to see as many of those women each day as I can. This includes the fantasy that is computer gaming.

There. Your evil femsplaining has been neutralized.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

On 4/18/2023 at 10:02 AM, meganoth said:

Ah, ok. I forgot (or never heard of) that UI change. I even looked for the feature on the first page before posting but looked in the wrong place

Just in case it hadn't been stated yet, it is only primitive crafts (e.g. stone axe, club, primitive bow, etc.) where the quantity of materials needed doesn't change with the different quality.  All other crafts such as pipe pistols, do have scaling material costs with their quality levels.

Green Quality Pipe.jpg

Blue Quality Pipe.jpg

1 hour ago, saoron666 said:

for example; the Higashi Tower, you get 50 zombies all dressed in same black suit..all same look, same model, a little variety maybe?

i mean A21 Bandits didn't come into play for over 10 years now, right? they could focus a little on that part i think so it mixes with the new areas and environment.

i use to play FFXI, and for first 50 levels you had the same mobs, crabs, hares and lizards... >.> i remember how much people hated that.

in that case, i wish they had attacked the zombie remodeling and not the water.. since the water doesn't have any benefits for the gameplay itself rather than looks better..

Pretty much everyone agrees that more zombies variety, at least different skins, would benefit the game.  But that isn't just a matter of just swapping colors.  There is more involved.  Also keep in mind that they are specifically working on how clothing works on both players and bandits.  They could be considering using that same code for zombies after they see how it works.  They haven't said that, but it is a good guess.

5 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Pretty much everyone agrees that more zombies variety, at least different skins, would benefit the game.  But that isn't just a matter of just swapping colors.  There is more involved.  Also keep in mind that they are specifically working on how clothing works on both players and bandits.  They could be considering using that same code for zombies after they see how it works.  They haven't said that, but it is a good guess.

but take one look at any modders. single man/women, adds many things with little to no performance loss. I can take Undead legacy for example. that man is a legend at this game and its 1 person creating content of a 10+ person team.

Edited by MajorMunchy (see edit history)

2 hours ago, saoron666 said:

That would require a clothing mask texture being made for each zombie for the tint areas or additional textures made. Either approach would push up memory use, so that would need to be evaluated too. The artists are busy working on all the previously mentioned art.

2 hours ago, saoron666 said:

Completely different people. The various water changes were done by three different programmers, who can not do zombie art.

I don t know if it was asked before:    Has the archery got some love from the devs?   I am bow/crossbow fan in games, but in 7dtd it was kind off...  limited to build a archer build for late early -> mid game,   It was to weak but in the same time to OP.  Some balance was needed.

17 minutes ago, MajorMunchy said:

but take one look at any modders. single man/women, adds many things with little to no performance loss. I can take Undead legacy for example. that man is a legend at this game and its 1 person creating content of a 10+ person team.

That is nice that modders can do that, but we need to make sure that vanilla is going to work on many years worth of PCs, Mac, Linux, consoles and lot of different GPUs. Currently, the game barely fits in Xbox Series S memory and quickly runs out as you try to play it, so memory is a great concern and we are doing a lot of work to reduce usage of. Streaming/unloading will help, but that is not a Unity strength, so some programming time is going to trying to improve that, without lag spikes loading data.

there is a handfull of modders that actually create all they use from sckratch, and I mean like less than 5 maybe. the rest of us just do "parts" and usually build over vanilla assets or bought models and such, so yeah modders rule, but its not the same work. just saying.

12 minutes ago, faatal said:

That is nice that modders can do that, but we need to make sure that vanilla is going to work on many years worth of PCs, Mac, Linux, consoles and lot of different GPUs. Currently, the game barely fits in Xbox Series S memory and quickly runs out as you try to play it, so memory is a great concern and we are doing a lot of work to reduce usage of. Streaming/unloading will help, but that is not a Unity strength, so some programming time is going to trying to improve that, without lag spikes loading data.

I'm one of the most prolific modders and I 100% agree with faatal on this.  Modding is easy, developing a game with industry standards is a different animal.  And most of the modders *I* know would agree.

45 minutes ago, MajorMunchy said:

No performance loss?  How did you arrive at that conclusion?  For example, how much memory does that overhaul use in comparison to Vanilla?  Mods / Overhauls are definitely a great addition, but they don't have to hold themselves to the same standards as the base game.  It's not an apples to apples comparison.

25 minutes ago, HB_H4wk said:

@faatal Is there any possibility of a Yuka Battle Thong for male characters that wish to live in the desert biome?

That’s actually the top feature of alpha 22. The fun pumps have been planning out its implementation since the very beginning but they didn’t have skill set or the manpower to put it into the game in a way that fulfilled their desires. Now the time has come, the Yuka Battle Thong will bring a much needed layer of complexity and artistic amplification to this game. 

5 hours ago, saoron666 said:

Over 2000 hrs of gameplay, many updates came along, and now another one..

Not sure why there isn't new zombies, new look, new behaviors, etc..

even i noticed in prison area they don't even have jumpsuits or stripes, idk give it a more prison look and environment?

instead they used all the few zombies with same clothes and look and filled up the area..

I think instead of new decorative cars and tractors or wtv, they should've make new clothes for the zombies so it doesn't become annoying and tiring?

you see, even if you make a new area in space, and use the same zombies and clothes it will just look the same!

new area new POI needs also new zombies..not sure why they don't see this as game developers, no concept..

but they use their time on unnecessary decors..

We can ALWAYS add more zombies. Adding more zombies doesn't put a check mark on the many empty checkboxes we have on the gold list.

15 hours ago, CultOfMoose said:

So are all the female clothing going to be stripper outfits or are we getting outfits that cover as much as the male outfits do?

Cause at this point it really seems like you are making female characters for your sex starved male players and giving the finger to your female fans....

And before get guys get butthurt about women asking to be treated like human beings instead of sex objects, hush, if you aren't a women you don't get to have an opinion on how we are allowed to feel.

Most of the new outfits look the same on each sex.

51 minutes ago, madmole said:

We can ALWAYS add more zombies. Adding more zombies doesn't put a check mark on the many empty checkboxes we have on the gold list.

Most of the new outfits look the same on each sex.

Hello sir! It's nice to see you here at last!

I have only one question, that we were discussing here earlier: 

Primitive weapons, specifically stone axes, bows, clubs (maybe stone spears too?) cost the exact same amount of materials to craft in each level of quality, rendering the whole point of crafting previous quality levels useless for those.

While there might be very few situations in which you are forced to craft lower levels of wooden clubs, stone axes, spears or bows (inside a desert POI quest with only 1 stone/wood por example), having those tools and weapons progress a bit in material cost would be nice. 

Thoughts?

In defence  of  TFP...  Not that they need defending, nevertheless i will say it. As someone with around 20 years of  gaming experience, stretching  among  old gen consoles  and  old  X486  PC, i can say freely  say that gamers are spoiled group. TFP can take  path of  least   resistance  and just  call it  "OK, we are going GOld", then spent next year  patching game to playable state. Will they do it? Hope not, i dont  want to see  Bethesda  incident  all over again. Is game perfect? Who knows.. We dont know the final vision of  TFP, we can only speculate.  Take your time, and dont listen to  people being whiny. If we could have waited for  16months, what is   month or 2 ?

Haha

I'm so glad to see more hedges coming soon.  I would love to see stackable/growing vines.  I'm thinking Pripyat post Chernobyl nuclear accident.  Let nature reclaim the abandoned buildings and allow us to camouflage our bases.spacer.png