Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

1 hour ago, Laran Mithras said:

Don't give them any ideas or we'll get "A21 and A22 have been cancelled in favor of A23 due out in 2027."

It is time for the Pimps to announce *something* regarding A21.

Don’t get me started on “When it’s done”.

Something could be as easy as “Within X weeks and it may be buggy”

Just something. We were all excited for this alpha Pimps need to manage disappointment better.

4 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Don’t get me started on “When it’s done”.

Something could be as easy as “Within X weeks and it may be buggy”

Just something. We were all excited for this alpha Pimps need to manage disappointment better.

True, but finally we again will get around the fire and agree that it is better to be done properly, instead full of bugs and insects. 

Lets say the Hype Train is getting upgraded and we need a new one, for more of us. Whats the worst that could happen, get a proper A21 ?

14 minutes ago, beerfly said:

True, but finally we again will get around the fire and agree that it is better to be done properly, instead full of bugs and insects. 

Lets say the Hype Train is getting upgraded and we need a new one, for more of us. Whats the worst that could happen, get a proper A21 ?

"every member" of the team have families and we are ALL attending family needs thru this holiday season. you know.. like most of you are doing and most are probably off work as well. :) we are all human.

23 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

"every member" of the team have families and we are ALL attending family needs thru this holiday season. you know.. like most of you are doing and most are probably off work as well. :) we are all human.

Well said, sir, have a good times there guys. 

42 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

Perfectly cool and healthy.

constructive feedback is it would have been nice to have a notice like above and add Happy Holidays or similar.

8 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Perfectly cool and healthy.

constructive feedback is it would have been nice to have a notice like above and add Happy Holidays or similar.

You needed someone to tell you they have families and that they celebrate during the holidays?

4 hours ago, Syphon583 said:

You needed someone to tell you they have families and that they celebrate during the holidays?

Did you read it?
Apparently I was not clear so I will be now.

The Pimps should have expressed regret for not making A21 by end of the year and given a brief insight as to when we can expect it before leaving for the holidays.

56 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

The Pimps should have expressed regret for not making A21 by end of the year and given a brief insight as to when we can expect it before leaving for the holidays.

Right. The possibility was floated of a release 2022. We logically assumed a Christmas release to take advantage of Steam Christmas bash.

It will happen when it happens, but some kind of mention other than "looking like it's definitely not going to make it this year" might've been comforting.

I figure it gives me more time on my current maps before having to restart every single one.

Would an end of year 'progress update' have been nice? Yes

BUT

TFP have pretty consistently shown (especially this dev cycle) that it's not a level of communication we're going to get so it shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone.

Be thankful the few devs that post on the forums even bother

I also think it's much better that the devs are currently focusing on their families and the holidays so they can come back to A21 fresh in 2023 rather than having them crunching over the holidays to meet to arbitrary deadline. Nobody needs to get burned out to give us an update for the game

They not going to give a brief insight when they think it will be done. They did that once and it back fired. So now you only get when it's done. Regardless how one feels about that statement it doesn't matter. That how they go about it, the way they want to go about it, the way the feel is the best because they can and don't have to any other way. Guess what it has worked for them. Only a small portion of the people that own the game visits this forum or even the steam forums. The way the go about it is up to them not us. They don't have to do anything. They don't have to post news about what is coming for every new alpha but at least we get that much. So again it doesn't matter how we think what they should and shouldn't do. They keep getting sales so whatever they are doing is working that is making them happy to keep doing what they do. 

3 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Did you read it?
Apparently I was not clear so I will be now.

No, they shouldn't.
The fact that you constantly see news about the game throughout the year means that someone wants to do it.Developers could silently release a major patch with a patchnout once a year and go quiet until the next time.No screenshots, gifs, videos, developer streams, riddles with spoilers, road maps.No one should do that.But they do.

Edited by mstdv inc (see edit history)

I think it was mid-late October when I pretty much gave up on any experimental/streamer release this year.. and didn't see anything since that to sway my opinion.

Disappointed? - Of course, we all love this game and can't wait to see what the next patch brings.. But bothered in any sense beyond that? Nah.  It's pretty well ingrained into my brain- In the Pimps we trust.

It's not just us that wanted to see something soon, its a business and I know it would be great for their numbers to have dropped experimental with the sales and get an influx of buyers. I bet a number of the devs are bummed too that they couldn't give us something fresh before the end of the year.. But Monday's another work day, they'll be getting back to it just like we do and it'll be done when it's done.

... Boy am I excited for the next teaser they drop.

I understand that backlash was an issue for them showing footage of the new alpha however I still miss Joel's small dev playthroughs it got to show you raw footage of the current alpha and how it plays out me personally didn't mind seeing things incomplete or buggy but I understand there is a small percentage of people who like to complain about the smallest things.

20 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Heh, no it's not, but I do share your impatience. If somebody were to start a pool I'd pick a day in May. That's my current uninformed wild guess.

Personally I am shocked how many forum members actively down vote anything regarding communication or a timeline.

I find it really strange. You all are free to have your own opinion.

I feel it is time for the pimps to publish a timeline of what is expected to happen and when it’s expected to happen. Perfectly fine is deadlines change or are late, some sort of roadmap would be nice to have.

16 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Personally I am shocked how many forum members actively down vote anything regarding communication or a timeline.

I find it really strange. You all are free to have your own opinion.

I feel it is time for the pimps to publish a timeline of what is expected to happen and when it’s expected to happen. Perfectly fine is deadlines change or are late, some sort of roadmap would be nice to have.

I don't mind another opinion.I am not against communication and new information about the development.I am against the fact that "TFP should" provide this information on demand.They can do it at will, when they deem it necessary.Demanding something is not right.You don't pay them a monthly salary.So you can only ask.It is important.

Edited by mstdv inc (see edit history)