Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

34 minutes ago, Roland said:

I guess it depends on whether you end up liking the changes or not. For those who don't, I'm sure they will feel like it is a repeat of A17 in length and play.

The only thing I really don't like "from what we know" is Learn By Reading and change I liked the most "survival water".

22 minutes ago, lord_ahriman said:

The only thing I really don't like "from what we know" is Learn By Reading and change I liked the most "survival water".

We all really have never tried these to give any sort of feedback.

There were many changes among every new alphas, that we were afraid of, or in some way sceptic from. 

Everyone is curious in some way, but if we haven`t gave a hit with it we really can`t say if it is good or not. 

2 hours ago, ROCKGENERATION said:

Any talks on tweaking repair kit functions with allies? I cant stress how much I have accidently wasted repair kits on allies in the game. I think it would be good to have it be a more deliberate action instead of a quick action on the fly as the default.

Repair kits of First Aid Kits?

5 hours ago, Jugom said:

maybe they were trying to get into a locked vehicle? I know I've given a few free repairs like that.  lol

Yeah this is what I meant, I now usually paint my vehicles to avoid this problem but even then I just find it so easy to accidently waste so many repair kits on my allies vehicle lol

2 hours ago, Roland said:

You are correct. There are 6k, 8k and 10k map. They have generated a new 8k map while the 6k and 10k still say in red letters (A20 not compatible)

When they create a pregen map can they update them each alpha like navezgane are they equal to navezgane or navezgane is more important ??

1 hour ago, maxousara said:

When they create a pregen map can they update them each alpha like navezgane are they equal to navezgane or navezgane is more important ??

I could be off, but I think one of the main purposes of the pregen maps is so players don't have to generate their own maps if they don't want to.

It also gives us the opportunity to add any POIs that may have not been included by the random generation. (E.g. manual placement).

2 hours ago, maxousara said:

Just to add to Laz, Navezgane is important because it is their handcrafted map. POIs are placed where the developers want them and are not randomly generated wherever. The POI layout of Navezgane is always the same. It changes during updates since new POIs are added but when the game eventually releases in its final form, Navezgane will be locked into its final form. Pregen maps are simply randomly generated maps that are pregenerated when the game is installed so that there is no wait time for a new player to have to generate their own. They can just start playing on a random map that is different than Navezgane. The developers do make sure to add in anything that is missing as Laz mentioned so that the pregen maps are usually good and solid maps to play the game with.

The community also starts listing good maps that are found shortly after each update and these can be generated by anyone using the seed name that is shared.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

The community also starts listing good maps that are found shortly after each update and these can be generated by anyone using the seed name that is shared.

That can be found here:  https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/25756-alpha-20-seed-thread/

Just wanted to add a link to these new awesome worlds out there to show how good RNG is working. 

P.S. props to Kinjahuu 

Edited by beerfly
..... (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Laz Man said:

I could be off, but I think one of the main purposes of the pregen maps is so players don't have to generate their own maps if they don't want to.

It also gives us the opportunity to add any POIs that may have not been included by the random generation. 

Pregen maps can be even cooler now with the new generation options: all plains, all wasteland, etc.

How are POIs by the way? Did you guys managed to integrate the ridiculously huge new asset list into your POI or is it still in flux? It would be pretty nice if you tell us something about your works too, like how many, how cool, how awesome they are, etc. Not that I'm asking for a screenshot mind you. Only the tip of one will suffice, lol.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Blake_ said:

Pregen maps can be even cooler now with the new generation options: all plains, all wasteland, etc.

How are POIs by the way? Did you guys managed to integrate the ridiculously huge new asset list into your POI or is it still in flux? It would be pretty nice if you tell us something about your works too, like how many, how cool, how awesome they are, etc. Not that I'm asking for a screenshot mind you. Only the tip of one will suffice, lol.

The level design team is still cranking away at integrating all of the new art (and shapes) into existing POIs.  

Apart from that we do still have some tasks for new POIs and quest improvements to existing POIs as well.

Hopefully, we will be able to share more info. soon.  Especially about unannounced features / improvements. 😉

Edit: The POI in the previously released flame hazard video is one I created.  It is an HRSG power plant.

Googling that should give you a rough idea of what to expect.  Hopefully, it will be a memorable experience for players. 😎

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

41 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

The level design team is still cranking away at integrating all of the new art (and shapes) into existing POIs.

I should point out that this is the main reason for the long development cycle this time around. There has been a major overhaul of old art and introduction of new art and the task to integrate it into existing POIs has been monumental. It is all part of the process of replacing placeholder art with original art assets owned by TFP so that much much more of the world will look unique to this game instead of everywhere you turn you see the same assets you see in all the other Unity games.

I'm not saying, "Blame Laz" or anything but if you've got a pitchfork or torch in hand already and you don't want it to go to waste...well...he's right over there.

(BTW...pitchforks and torches are half-off right now on my new website!)

Keep doing your great job Laz, don`t listen Roland ! 

Aye, Mr. R, a 40 torches, a pitchfork and a couple of napkins. Snowdog is doing a party :)

Yes, you are invited. 

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Edit: The POI in the previously released flame hazard video is one I created.  It is an HRSG power plant.

Do you have a particular favourite POI in 7 days to die, just wondered, or it is still a WIP or yet never created. 

Keep doing your stuff, guys, we love it. 

12 hours ago, Weazelsun said:

The snake is such a janky creature to kill. I hope its animations get made smoother so it actually slithers instead of that weird cha-cha slide it does. 

Yes, but this isn't really a problem of bad animation, but a more or less general thing in many games.

An entity's foot never really connects to the ground to make it a fix point/hinge whatever (missing the right word here sorry).

If you pay close attention to the Zs feet you will see they all often slide/skate or even moonwalk.

Z dogs are really good at that if you ask me.

I guess the snake is just the more obvious thing because one assumes that the whole thing as it is should connect to the ground,

but instead it is often half floating...or doing the cha-cha as you say.

Which can look really bad especially when the surrounding ground is uneven (which often is the case).

2 hours ago, beerfly said:

Do you have a particular favourite POI in 7 days to die, just wondered, or it is still a WIP or yet never created. 

That's a tough one.  There are so many different POIs that are awesome for many different reasons (new and old). 

Apart from the huge effort from level design, all of the other departments have done alot of great work.  Regardless of what makes it into A21, it is clear to me that we are significantly closer to that 1.0 release.

3 hours ago, Laz Man said:

That's a tough one.  There are so many different POIs that are awesome for many different reasons (new and old). 

Apart from the huge effort from level design, all of the other departments have done alot of great work.  Regardless of what makes it into A21, it is clear to me that we are significantly closer to that 1.0 release.

Didn`t have a time to answer properly, but keep doing that.

You will be amazed between happiness and dropping jaw to the center of the planet we live on, by the fact of how much fun we have around, in the game you guys created, not a compliment, sort of a fact. Keep kicking. We mean it! 

....Oh. a torch ! 

4 hours ago, Laz Man said:

To be honest... i feel like 7DTD change too much into.... Doom. I know it's sounds crazy that's why i will explain why 😜

Let's take days gone POI's as example - windows, opened door and except few places like university.... that's it. state of decay - like a days gone, project zomboid - some door are closed right but it's just.. normal. dayz ? similiar.

7dtd - almost every Poi is like some type of maze. Why? I know because "gAmEpLaY" But A13 - house was just... house. Complicated building are ok if there is a reasons - school, unviersity, military base, office, but Bar without stairs? Okay someone can say that dunno -  there was a nuke and that's why - i would agree but... collapsing stairs and left building intact? sounds too naive. Military? would sounds correct but if... this would happends in few buildings not in most of them + lack of military stuff on streets.  If this would dunno random furnitures on stairs would have much more sense. Plus most 70-80% should be just... "empty" no barricades, strange holes in  floors just simple building in and out - this would make looting crates more easier? Yes. so maybe..... reduce number of duff bags crates by 50%? It would be logical if most POI's had just basic stuff + junk. someone can say 'but but but fUn because always chance for loo......" SPOILER : you can use... logic! For example - you want gun? look at police station. Food , almost everywhere right? but tools? more probably DIY store. Project zomboid made when you can find loot much more better and logical