Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

10 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Would be great if there was an option to respawn you on the map as a new character, level 1, map shroud/waypoints reset, etc..  That way, you can choose to play the same map, and even reclaim your past survivor's base, loot, etc. if you came upon it.

I also play dead-is-dead and the closest we get to this is to delete the save and just use the same seed. Every once in a while you run into a very cool map either due to city layout or abundance of skyscrapers etc and die stupidly before getting to fully explore the map. Of course there’s the occasional crappy map where I’ll take exceptional risks (going downtown on day one with no gun) not caring if I die so we can get a new map lol.

4 hours ago, Roland said:

Im not sure what you mean. Are you talking about walking under a tree or going inside a POI where the windows are all barricaded and there are not any light sources?  If the former. I haven’t seen that, myself, and if the latter, it’s intended for you to either use a head lamp, a flashlight, or break open the windows to let light in, or stumble around in the dark. 

It's the latter, Roland, but the issue is that it also happens when you're just in a partially enclosed space. I remember faatal saying something about the lighting changing when the game "considers" if you're inside or not. That part works ok for rain, but not so much for lighting, since you only need to be surrounded by a few blocks (and one on top of your head) to trigger the "dark mode".

In the end, I think it's just a question of refining the current way or create a new, separate one, specifically for the lighting part.

4 hours ago, Roland said:

Im not sure what you mean. Are you talking about walking under a tree or going inside a POI where the windows are all barricaded and there are not any light sources?  If the former. I haven’t seen that, myself, and if the latter, it’s intended for you to either use a head lamp, a flashlight, or break open the windows to let light in, or stumble around in the dark. 

Perhaps your brightness setting is too low for your preferences?  I usually turn mine down to 15% so that dark areas and nighttime are actually dark. You say that shade is like nighttime but there have been a lot of posts that nighttime, itself, is too bright at default brightness levels for a lot of people and that we can see too far and too well in the dark. 

What’s your brightness level set at and what exactly are you meaning by walking into shaded areas? What shadow setting are you using?

Thanks. I changed the brightness and it fixed the problem. :)

@Roland Do you know if this issue has been addressed or resolved?

I run a coop server over steam. I am the server, my wife and my friend connect to my system. when the horde comes on the 7th day, they get a little bit of fog, and its gets a little darker. The can see maybe 16 m away. I on the other hand can barely see my feet. the fog is so thick the lantern 4 <meters> blocks away is completely not visible.

Same thing with storms and weather effects. the connecting players seem to be doing fine, but the coop server gets blinded with overly heavy visual effects.

15 minutes ago, wolfbain5 said:

Same thing with storms and weather effects. the connecting players seem to be doing fine, but the coop server gets blinded with overly heavy visual effects.

I run coop and it isn't as bad as Wolf, but my weather effects and fog are 5X harsher than my wife's. Sometimes I have to look over at her monitor to see anything in the distance...

She often wishes her weather effects were as dark as mine. Ha!

1 hour ago, wolfbain5 said:

@Roland Do you know if this issue has been addressed or resolved?

I run a coop server over steam. I am the server, my wife and my friend connect to my system. when the horde comes on the 7th day, they get a little bit of fog, and its gets a little darker. The can see maybe 16 m away. I on the other hand can barely see my feet. the fog is so thick the lantern 4 <meters> blocks away is completely not visible.

I have the same problem, My husband hosts and I Join his game. I never see any fog or the rain but on his screen he cannot see two feet in front of him. Also I hardly ever get infections, i can let a zombie hit me a few times and get nothing but he is always getting sprains ect.

4 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Sounds more like a game video setting than a bug.

I run the server client on my machine with 4 to 6 players and that never happens to anyone connected.

Been fiddling with "video settings" since Everquest. In other words, I know all about in-game video settings, card settings, global versus app specific settings, and monitor settings.

We spent 2 days going through every conceivable combination for 7DTD to accomplish at least a similarity in weather effects: there was no similarity to be gained.

6 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

so you are running a server, not doing steamplay coop is what you are saying?

Yes, download the server client and steam works(?), port forward and all is fine. Game & server client run on the same machine fine.

I had 32GB of memory, I suspect it would work fine for two players at 16GB.

One important thing that I learned is in the server command box type “shut down” to shut down. Killing it in steam can corrupt the save.

Edited by Fanatical_Meat (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Yes, download the server client and steam works(?), port forward and all is fine. Game & server client run on the same machine fine.

I had 32GB of memory, I suspect it would work fine for two players at 16GB.

One important thing that I learned is in the server command box type “shut down” to shut down. Killing it in steam can corrupt the save.

then this is why you dont have the issue. it is not a setting. MM acknowledged the problem months ago. just wondering if they found a fix yet.

1 hour ago, wolfbain5 said:

then this is why you dont have the issue. it is not a setting. MM acknowledged the problem months ago. just wondering if they found a fix yet.

Donno, I play with dudes who join each other’s games all the time and never heard of this problem. 
While I do not claim to be an expert it sounds like a driver or settings problem to me.

On 11/12/2022 at 3:29 PM, Laz Man said:

Would be great if there was an option to respawn you on the map as a new character, level 1, map shroud/waypoints reset, etc..  That way, you can choose to play the same map, and even reclaim your past survivor's base, loot, etc. if you came upon it.

In Project Zomboid if you die you become a zombie, so to get your stuff back you have to find your previous zombie self and kill it.

6 hours ago, FinkPloyd said:

In Project Zomboid if you die you become a zombie, so to get your stuff back you have to find your previous zombie self and kill it.

That would be a funny (and possibly fitting) way to implement the Kickstarted goal/feature of "Be a zombie" ... would not only look awesome, but tick the box too!

On 11/11/2022 at 10:33 AM, bachgaman said:

By playing through intelligence, you can get a concrete base with crucible by the end of the first week even playing on hard difficulty with reduced loot. What other branch of skill tree allows you to achieve this? Given the difficulty of the first BMs, this is an obviously overly redundant progress that was not foreseen by the developers. Intelligence absolutely broken in current state with secret stash and quest trader rewards. 

In addition, only by playing through intelligence you are guaranteed to quickly get transport and a workbench. Which also makes the game easier. And it is in the intellect that there is an explosive with which you can protect yourself from any blood moon with the almost free to craft pipe bombs.

Just because INT was super overpowered in Alpha 20 doesn't mean it should be   totally unplayable in A21. looking forward to A21 skill tree shake and bake

7 hours ago, FinkPloyd said:

That would really be a great idea. Whenever you die, your character becomes a zombie. They will change to fixed player characters anyway so add some Bite marks, some blood and let these fresh zombies Run around searching for you. If you die Radiated, the zombie will be a radiated version. If you die with a broken Leg, it will move slowly, otherwise they run :D

34 minutes ago, POCKET951 said:

Just because INT was super overpowered in Alpha 20 doesn't mean it should be   totally unplayable in A21. looking forward to A21 skill tree shake and bake

This was not discussed.  Don't jump from one extreme to another.  Balancing int does not mean making it unplayable.

On 3/16/2022 at 7:09 PM, bdubyah said:

Anything else is just icing

"One man's icing is...

...another man's cake." 🍰

"One man's icing 💦 may also be...

...another man's beginning." 🤰

Ruminations On Icing 1952

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

7 hours ago, Diragor said:

That would really be a great idea. Whenever you die, your character becomes a zombie. They will change to fixed player characters anyway so add some Bite marks, some blood and let these fresh zombies Run around searching for you. If you die Radiated, the zombie will be a radiated version. If you die with a broken Leg, it will move slowly, otherwise they run :D

At this point I would just be happy with a standard zombie made just for this. I'm sure making it look like the player as well as having specific effects would push the game back more then they would wish. (Maybe after gold could work on it more) For now just a new zombie that is more fresh looking with a backpack or somethin. When it dies it drops a loot bag like like the random drops bags just with your items in the bag instead of random items. If someone kills it before you get back to it then they get your stuff. It could be tied to backpack so it doesn't despawn if nobody is around or whatever but moves around. Don't even have it marked on map gotta search around where you died in hope it still there. Of course it be cool to have the effects and more done with it but as a starter it could work. That just my opinion though.

Edited by crazywildfire (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Vedui said:

That would be a funny (and possibly fitting) way to implement the Kickstarted goal/feature of "Be a zombie" ... would not only look awesome, but tick the box too!

lol yeah it would be entertaining unless they use the weapon you had equipped.  just imagine running up on your walking corps and its firing back with your M60 or throwing molotoves 😛 and if it had your armor?  er well i suppose im usually wearing crap i might be ok